Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Night Life

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Rebecca Gleeson

Ok thanks :) we wouldn't have a problem getting a taxi if we are near the main streets yeah? Strip clubs Jesus haha never been to one obviously but it would be some crack ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Are any of the pubs/clubs ye recommended hard to get into? Heard corks nearly impossible to go out in with the bouncers, i don't look 23 at all.

Not so much this time of year as the majority of the college students will have gone home for the summer meaning clubs get a bit desperate for custom.

The upside to this is the places are a bit quieter during the midweek; the downside is you'll be mixing with 18yr olds still in secondary school, especially after the LC ends.

There's a a very detailed thread in this forum regarding current bouncer culture in the city which seemed to boil down to Cork trying to distance itself from the rowdy hen/stag culture you see in Dublin and parts of the UK and clubs catering to older audiences to prevent the mistakes of previous clubs that died out trying to target the young students who were more likely to pre-drink, spend less and be more trouble to deal with.

Thanks gorden

Is roxxys over 23s??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Is roxxys over 23s??

Also closed down! As for Voodoo once you aren't a scumbag and reasonably sober you shouldn't have a problem even if your 22, especially if your boyfriend is 23.

A full list of cork clubs:

Havana Browns
    The Hanover
    Voodoo Rooms
    Eclipse
    The Bowery
    The Savoy
    The Bodega
    SoHo

Think that's about it. Apart from Eclipse & Savoy, they're all 21's. Voodoo and The Bowery are 23's.

• Advertisement

Thanks :) you have it the wrong way around in 23 hes 22 ha we could chance voodoo then

My 19 year old cousin got into voodoo on a Saturday when he came up to cork :|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Also closed down! As for Voodoo once you aren't a scumbag and reasonably sober you shouldn't have a problem even if your 22, especially if your boyfriend is 23.

A full list of cork clubs:

Havana Browns
    The Hanover
    Voodoo Rooms
    Eclipse
    The Bowery
    The Savoy
    The Bodega
    SoHo

Think that's about it. Apart from Eclipse & Savoy, they're all 21's. Voodoo and The Bowery are 23's.

Probably a few more, though the above are probably the best.

The Secret Garden (sometimes opened as part of Havanna Browns, but often open separately in its own right).
    Marlboro Lounge (never been there, think it's a club rather than bar, could be mistaken).
    City Limits (used to be the best place in the city, now can be good for comedy but can be very quiet)

Was thinking the bodega read the reviews and looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Was thinking the bodega read the reviews and looks great

its worth checking out. Not been in a while but think its free in before 11 or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah the Bodega is my favourite, and I don't really like nightclubs! Best of a bad bunch. Once the students are gone anyway! But depends what you're into.

Can't believe the way people are going on about Shandon, it's not Compton! I lived there and walked around at night and I'm still alive.

Heard the food in there is lovely, going to check it out anyways, its the same with the area i live in just because it use to be rough ever one thinks ohh no don't go there.

*everyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Dear jesus I'm old, I don't recognise most of those, none of my friends will go clubbing, thru insist on late bars. When did the Bodega become a club? How is it laid out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Bodega is free before 11.30,they remove tables and chairs downstairs so the floor becomes the dancefloor,soho is only a late bar.

So ho is way too pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

MrMac84 wrote: »
    It's a really old part of the city and I brought friends too a hostel up there (can't member the name) years ago that I couldn't drive up to theyd too walk from the road up a lane too it I warned them about staying there, 3 hours later they were in town looking for a new place too stay

One could have driven around and down the laneway by Shandon itself but it is a reverse out again situation most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Red Nissan wrote: »
    One could have driven around and down the laneway by Shandon itself but it is a reverse out again situation most of the time.

I'm from the southside and didn't know that

@ red Nissan why is it that bad??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've never heard such a load of crap spouted about an area in my life.
    Kinlay house is a fine hostel - the management and staff are lovely and it is well run.
    It is about a 5 minute walk into the city centre.
    The area is fine. Not exactly gentrified but no more dodgy than any other part of the city. I've lived there for over 15 years, walk about at nigh regularly and have nnever had hassle once.
    Maybe Shandon Street can be a bit lively at night but I'd rarely go that way home. From most parts of town you'd approach Kinlay from the bridge by the Opera House.

Much as I'd like to recommend local restaurants, The Four Liars is one of the worst restaurants in Cork, in my humble opinion. It baffles me how they are still open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭opus

I've never heard such a load of crap spouted about an area in my life.
    Kinlay house is a fine hostel - the management and staff are lovely and it is well run.
    It is about a 5 minute walk into the city centre.
    The area is fine. Not exactly gentrified but no more dodgy than any other part of the city. I've lived there for over 15 years, walk about at nigh regularly and have nnever had hassle once.
    Maybe Shandon Street can be a bit lively at night but I'd rarely go that way home. From most parts of town you'd approach Kinlay from the bridge by the Opera House.

Much as I'd like to recommend local restaurants, The Four Liars is one of the worst restaurants in Cork, in my humble opinion. It baffles me how they are still open.

Recently bought a house in the area, I walked around there around 20 times at various times of day & night beforehand to get a feel for the area, didn't see anything that worried me too much.

The Four Liars was on my list to try as it's so close, bit sad to hear your opinion of it. On a more positive note, my first visitors to the house were very happy with the Buttercup Cafe for breakfast (didn't have a fridge at the time :) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

The Four Liars used up be great, but they got stuck in a rut and their service went downhill. To be fair, I haven't been there in a long while, but I've heard nothing but complaints about it in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Shandon is grand. There are a few Cork versions of Ross O'Carroll Kelly types on here.

The city centre can be rough after 12 but what Irish town or city isn't.

If you're from Dublin, even Heuston station is rougher than anything you will see in Cork - unless you really go looking for it. No chance of junkies asking you for money in broad daylight as has happened me a few times now.

I've been there countless times and had relatives and friends stay there ... No problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

daveohdave wrote: »
    Dear jesus I'm old, I don't recognise most of those, none of my friends will go clubbing, thru insist on late bars. When did the Bodega become a club? How is it laid out?

Lot of new pubs & clubs in Cork over the last few years, though most are existing venues renovated and renamed. They somehow made the Bodega (which I used to love!) into a big 'pub', with several extra fake columns put in for effect.

It's actually funny being in there in the late evening, as the tables are taken away as they empty, and the music gets noisier bit by bit so you go from a relaxing sit-down meal to sitting on the edge (or in the middle) of a dancefloor...

All that aside, anyone want to buy a city centre apartment? Was quite happy living here until I found this thread. OP - hope you (or your next of kin) lets us know how you got on in Cork! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ofcork wrote: »
    Bodega is free before 11.30,they remove tables and chairs downstairs so the floor becomes the dancefloor,soho is only a late bar.

Get in before they start charging, the venue isn't worth it.

Advertisement