Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House hotel receivership

Options
  • 04-06-2014 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I think I'm in shock. I booked a hen for my friend in the house hotel in Galway and now it's in receivership. Does that mean we've lost all our money???? There were alot of us. I feel destroyed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Buckley213 wrote: »
    I think I'm in shock. I booked a hen for my friend in the house hotel in Galway and now it's in receivership. Does that mean we've lost all our money???? There were alot of us. I feel destroyed

Did you contact them before posting this?

It may be being run as normal by the receiver in which case it will have no effect whatsoever on your booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Contact the venue and ask. Receivership does not automatically mean the business is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Buckley213

Hi guys, they've closed the hotel and the phone is ringing out and I emailed them too and they sent a generic email recommending you find alternative accommodation if your are booked with them. Situation been beyond their control blah blah blah!!!!So I don't know what to do about it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

if you paid by credit card, then you should be able to get your cash back

TheDriver wrote: »
    if you paid by credit card, then you should be able to get your cash back

I did ring my credit card company and they said there was nothing they could you. You have to send off a news clipping from a paper about it to the visa department and they'll try and get the money back for you. But I'm sure alot of people are in the same boat so not sure will we get it back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I wouldn't accept that from the bank. I would be looking for a final response letter so you could take the matter to the financial ombudsman.

What is a financial response letter and how would I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Rumors that it is going to re open later in the week under new owners.

It is a Final Response Letter and you ask the bank for it. You will need to send them a written complaint by post.

Thanks Fred, I'll give it a shot

• Advertisement

Rumors that it is going to re open later in the week under new owners.

Please say that's true, otherwise I'm in for alot of annoyed ladies and a bride with no hen night

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

That's the rumors, hard to know. You'd think someone would take it over, one of the busiest times in Galway coming up, the arts festival, races e.t.c

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Heard jurys were honouring guests that were booked in??

cuculainn wrote: »
    Heard jurys were honouring guests that were booked in??

Yep I rang them yesterday they only honoured the people that were booked in the day the hotel closed they won't for future bookings so no luck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your credit card provider will process a chargeback - as long as you supply the evidence and get it done in the right amount of time.

If they refuse you the chargeback process, get it confirmed in writing. But first download the chargeback form and start the process

Thanks Dudara, I'll definitely try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would send your bank a copy of the email that you received from the house advising you to book elsewhere and request a charge back. Surley that would be as valid as a cutting from the newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

I did ring my credit card company and they said there was nothing they could you. You have to send off a news clipping from a paper about it to the visa department and they'll try and get the money back for you. But I'm sure alot of people are in the same boat so not sure will we get it back

I think you misheard them.

There's nothing they can do over the phone - that doesn't mean they won't or can't do anything.

A small percentage of what business pay credit card companies is for insurance. When a company does not fulfill their obligation to you and you paid by credit card, you simply claim off that insurance - in credit card terms its called a chargeback.

You just have to follow procedure. Its just like any insurance claim. You have to prove to the credit card company that you have suffered the loss.

So you simply print off details of your booking and attach some official form of notice to this and apply for the chargeback. An official form can be a letter from receiver / liquidator, a print out from insolvencyjournal.ie or a copy of a newspaper notice.

The printout from insolvencyjournal.ie is probably easiest, but you will need to company name (not the trading name), to get the right information.

Once the bank verifies your claim, it is refunded.

ah jaysus - don't be running to the financial ombudsman for such an issue. The insurance is via the Visa / Mastercard system. It is Visa / mastercard that process the claim and give the refund - not the bank, but it does normally go through the banks credit card / debit card department.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I've sent off a formal letter today with a newspaper notification of the liquidation to ask for a charge back. So hopefully they'll respond to me. I know I'll probably have to push the issue with them but I definitely won't let it go.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I've sent off a formal letter today with a newspaper notification of the liquidation to ask for a charge back. So hopefully they'll respond to me. I know I'll probably have to push the issue with them but I definitely won't let it go.

you absolutely won't have to push the issue. Its part of the selling point of paying by credit card. Once you have given them proof, refund is automatic. Its a huge benefit of Laser being gone as a payment system - there was no insurance cover on laser cards.

I booked a hotel last year though a booking site that went bust. I sent in letter from liquidator with my booking and it was refunded about 10 days later - I'm with aib. Standard letter came confirming refund was made wth standard clause stating that if they find I got refund another way they reserve right to reclaim the refund - or in plain english, if they found I was telling fibs, they'd take the money back (standard condition with all insurance payments)

Advertisement