Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still worth learning Objective-C?

Options
  • 04-06-2014 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Bought a Big Nerd Ranch book about a month ago and have been working through it, getting on really well, then I hear Apple are bringing out Swift.

Is it worth continuing working through the Obj-C book or should I just start again on the Swift online book Apple released?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Objective C isn't going anywhere and you'll gain familiarity with Cocoa that will still apply if you do development in Swift.

It's the Cocoa framework that's the important part, not the syntax of the language you use.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Remember that Swift is still in a little bit of transition and you still won't be able to submit apps with it till iOS 8 is released (September/October).

Also everything you'll be able to do in Obj-C you'll be able to do in Swift (just a little less verbose by the looks of things).

I'd have a look at both in parallel - everything is still in Obj-C example wise so that'll help you get to grips with things and you should be able to then translate it yourself to Swift.

My plan for skilling up in it is to start doing some new functionality in an existing app with Swift since you can have both in the one app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I write the bulk of my code in C and C++ with only the UI and platform specific stuff being Objective C.

Having consulted the docs, it looks like I'll need to write Objective C wrapper classes, or make a C API to expose my C++ code to Swift.

This isn't too big a deal, but it's a less elegant interop solution than I would've liked. At the moment, having instances of C++ classes in an Objective C View Controller is incredibly simple to do, and the .h .m divide makes it easy to completely hide the C++ stuff from the rest of the app.

Now, I'll need to abstract code at a lower level.

Advertisement