Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many burgers

• 04-06-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've got a recipe for some mince and sausage meat burgers that makes 8. However, I don't think I could manage 8 burgers in one sitting, so what's my best option?

1. Try and quarter the recipe - this is tricky as it includes say 1/2 tsp ground pepper, so I'd hate having to work out exactly how much 1/8 tsp would be

2. Make the lot and freeze any portions I don't need

3. Make and cook the lot, and freeze any portions I don't need.

I suspect it's between 2 and 3, and depends on if the meat I use is frozen already. If I buy fresh mince tomorrow, I'm thinking 2 would work too, right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

got some greaseproof paper? just put it between the burgers and freeze any you don't cook right away for use later.

just remember they will shrink quite a bit (depending on the fat content) when you cook them and bulge in the centre, so make sure you make the burger patties about 15-20% bigger than your buns so they fit once cooked. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Definitely 2

IME burgers freeze very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If it was me I'd prob half the recipe and make enough for two people (even over two meals if needed). If only you that will eat them. Then I'd give 1/4 of the recipe a shot. It won't matter a whole lot if you end up with 1/10, 1/8 or 1/6 tsp I'd pepper

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Give the rest to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I make homemade burgers quite a bit, and freeze them. We easily eat them two nights in a row too- one night on buns with the usual salads and dressings, then the second night, we have them with an onion gravy and mashed potatoes. You could even stretch them to a third night by rolling them into balls and cooking them in a tomato sauce with some pasta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

corblimey wrote: »
    this is tricky as it includes say 1/2 tsp ground pepper, so I'd hate having to work out exactly how much 1/8 tsp would be
    The pepper doesn't really matter as Mellor said. Its not like you are adding raising agents or something which may matter.

If it was important or you want to be exact, then a trick is to get your 1/2 teaspoon full, stick it on a plate and halve it by eye into 2 piles, then halve one of these piles again so you have 1/8th.

This is also a handy trick if trying to measure small units, like say 2.5 grams, and your scales only is accurate to 10g.

I would freeze some and store some in the fridge if they are going to be cooked soon.

Advertisement