Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8km from Exchange

Options
  • 04-06-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just about to sign up for Vodafone Broadband (up to 24mb). I'm about 8 km from my exchange. Anybody have any idea what download speed I'll get?

Honestly I'd be hoping to get 2-3 mbps. Is that realistic? If anybody else lives around 8km from their exchange let me know what speed you get.
    I don't want to sign a 24 month contract and get worse speeds than my mobile broadband.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just about to sign up for Vodafone Broadband (up to 24mb). I'm about 8 km from my exchange. Anybody have any idea what download speed I'll get?

Honestly I'd be hoping to get 2-3 mbps. Is that realistic? If anybody else lives around 8km from their exchange let me know what speed you get.
    I don't want to sign a 24 month contract and get worse speeds than my mobile broadband.

Thanks.

I'm getting max of 0.8 Mb down at that distance (7.9 km) .
    Usually syncs about 0.6 Mb - it drops pretty often.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭brian67

i live 6k away pay for 6meg am getting 5.2 very happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

Awh...I'm getting an average of 1.5mb down and 1.2 up with Mobile Broadband from 3. I was hoping I'd be getting an improvement.

Thanks man

brian67 wrote: »
    Yeah thats good. I suppose it depends on how many people are connected to the exchange as well as the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

brian67 wrote: »

That's not dsl or you're closer than you think, no way you're getting near that over 4.5Km local loop length.

• Advertisement

I'm about 8 km from my exchang.

If they're offering you broadband you probably aren't, that's just too long to support dsl real world. Chances are there is a reach node or exchange closer than you think.

Awh...I'm getting an average of 1.5mb down and 1.2 up with Mobile Broadband from 3. I was hoping I'd be getting an improvement.

Thanks man

If you've already got a connected phone line try this

https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=bu_22

Hit Check Availability, then Check Now, then enter you number.
    On the next page hit the link
    "Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home"

That should give you and idea of what speeds to expect.

eg Mine says

"You can get a maximum of 2Mb download speed"

long_b wrote: »
    If you've already got a connected phone line try this

Hit Check Availability, then Check Now, then enter you number.
    On the next page hit the link
    "Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home"

That should give you and idea of what speeds to expect.

eg Mine says

"You can get a maximum of 2Mb download speed"

Thanks but my phone line isn't active so it can't perform a test. I cancelled my phone service back in the beginning of the recession in 2007.

Thanks but my phone line isn't active so it can't perform a test. I cancelled my phone service back in the beginning of the recession in 2007.

Have you considered a Fixed Wireless provider ?
    Have you line of sight to any "high" sites ?

See here http://irelandoffline.org/mapbeta/#/main and click "Wireless ISPs"

ED E wrote: »
    If they're offering you broadband you probably aren't, that's just too long to support dsl real world. Chances are there is a reach node or exchange closer than you think.

I don't actually know how far I'm from the exchange. I just looking a the Ireland Offline Map (which mightn't be up to date) which says I'm 4.3km from the exchange in a straight line ( around 8km by road). Vodafone or Eircom won't tell me where exactly my exchange is or my distance.

• Advertisement

I'm getting max of 0.8 Mb down at that distance (7.9 km) .
    Usually syncs about 0.6 Mb - it drops pretty often.

What's it like in real use on average? Can you watch YouTube in 720p without buffering (except at the start of the vid).

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭brian67

ED E wrote: »
    That's not dsl or you're closer than you think, no way you're getting near that over 4.5Km local loop length.

just ran speedtest . net now 5meg even

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

I packed in the line broadband from Eircom as it was running at less than 1mps. I am now on the national broadband system and have about 5 mps when it works. The last few months the congestion has been very bad and I have complained to 3 and am still waiting for some action on their part but the alternative is a plug in so what to do?

I don't actually know how far I'm from the exchange. I just looking a the Ireland Offline Map (which mightn't be up to date) which says I'm 4.3km from the exchange in a straight line ( around 8km by road). Vodafone or Eircom won't tell me where exactly my exchange is or my distance.

If there's no in situe line they won't know till ones installed. Check with a neighbour who has dsl with any provider, will give an idea.

What's it like in real use on average? Can you watch YouTube in 720p without buffering (except at the start of the vid).

I only use it as a backup to mobile broadband which is my main connection.

It's slow on YouTube, even with the quality way down at 240p or 360p.
    Never tried 720p - it'd be unbearable.

Do any neighbours have a connected telephone ?

I only use it as a backup to mobile broadband which is my main connection.

It's slow on YouTube, even with the quality way down at 240p or 360p.
    Never tried 720p - it'd be unbearable.

Do any neighbours have a connected telephone ?

No none of my neighbours have a connected telephone last time i checked.
    Hopefully ill be lucky and it will work well, ive been trying to replace my mobile broadband for years. Its too unreliable. :(
    Its beginning to look like no matter what internet i get it will be useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm 2km from the only exchange in ALL of Dublin that isn't broadband enabled...

FML!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yeah thats good. I suppose it depends on how many people are connected to the exchange as well as the distance.

Not really, the number of people connected to the exchange is irrelevant if there's enough capacity on the onward connection to the core network to handle their traffic.

There are still some rural exchange connected to the core network using older technology and these can become congested at peak times.

Almost everything in urban areas and all major exchanges in rural areas are connected to an all-IP next-generation network that has heaps of capacity.

The big issue there would be the 8000m long line! That's a lot of copper to get a single down using ADSL or ADSL2+

Fixed Wireless Operators would probably be a much better option!

Changing to up to 24 mbit/s will probably be totally pointless on a line that long. The laws of physics start to become a problem. The longer the line the more signal loss and the slower the connection basically.

Advertisement