Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use powerline adaptors?

Options
  • 04-06-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

newpowerlineadapter.dh.snetworkssmaller1.jpg

Does anyone use these for SF XBL? i got some from BT and it was laggier than straight ethernet, im not sure if they were **** ones. But moved house and in the same dilemma, any advice?

does anyone play wirelessly? i cant see that being any less laggy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Placebo wrote: »
    newpowerlineadapter.dh.snetworkssmaller1.jpg

Does anyone use these for SF XBL? i got some from BT and it was laggier than straight ethernet, im not sure if they were **** ones. But moved house and in the same dilemma, any advice?

does anyone play wirelessly? i cant see that being any less laggy

I usually play on the wireless. Its not great tbh and when I ethernet it is much better but that might be crappy upc wireless.

I have heard that with the wall plugs, it really depends on the ones you get. There are really crappy ones and better ones - its not like an 802.X standard. Also, how old is the wiring in your house/flat? Might have an effect.

Also, you can't really play Streetfighter due to your crapness so why bother :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

I'm using it for my ps3. It all depends on the wiring in the house. If it's a decent, new-ish building it will probably be fine. Old houses with rusty wiring will definitely **** up the quality. Try:
    - putting these things in different sockets
    - not using extension in sockets next to it

And run some tests using a PC.

For me, only one power line socket works decently. The other ones add a crapload of latency/connection quality drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

how can i run tests, can i ping xbl servers?

I used my desktop and a laptop for this - I'm not sure this is possible with an xbox...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

ethernet has been known to be used on laptops as well.

then try this http://www.speedtest.net/

• Advertisement

Speedtest is OK to test one-time ping and dl/up speed. I would use "ping -n 9999 google.com" from a command line and make sure that you're not dropping (too many) packets.

LOL i know i can use my laptop, but speed test it not a viable reading.
    like people used to ping counterstrike servers from cmd prompt. 49ms YAY

What you're looking for is stability, so the ping command should do pretty well in that regard. These things are not meant for heavy bandwidth usage (torrents) but are generally much more stable than wifi - and that is my experience as well.

cheers dude, will try em

Advertisement