Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭griffin100

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Talking to a friend of mine who is relatively high up in the Garda and he was saying that it will go ahead. They had a meeting with Ironman last week to finalise things and to be fair shortly after talking to him they announced the date...He had already suggested same date to me. He said its not in question they are just finalising routes. Hope he is right.

Spoke to a couple of senior Gardai I know and they said the same. They're still working on the routes but the organisers preferred route looks like it will shut down half of south Dublin and the city ctr. Looks like a split transition too with competitors being bused from city ctr finish / T2 to swim venue. It's a big risk with the Horse Show being on in the RDS the same day and the potential for matches in Croke Park given that's it's a sunday - Dublin could come to a standstill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

griffin100 wrote: »
    Spoke to a couple of senior Gardai I know and they said the same. They're still working on the routes but the organisers preferred route looks like it will shut down half of south Dublin and the city ctr. Looks like a split transition too with competitors being bused from city ctr finish / T2 to swim venue. It's a big risk with the Horse Show being on in the RDS the same day and the potential for matches in Croke Park given that's it's a sunday - Dublin could come to a standstill.

Jaysus..that's the preferred option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Jesus ****
    For how many people? And they want the council to pay them to do it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RayCun wrote: »
    Jesus ****
    For how many people? And they want the council to pay them to do it?

They'll be looking for volunteers too. Since all the tri clubs will be doing it it'll be out to the sisters pearse to help out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

They'll be looking for volunteers too. Since all the tri clubs will be doing it it'll be out to the sisters pearse to help out. :)

Post of the century!! :D

• Advertisement

yes, I can steward. I'll do a great job of explaining to people why the roads are closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Izoard wrote: »
    Jaysus..that's the preferred option?

Quote from Ironman's announcement in June:

"The IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin triathlon will consist of a 1.2-mile swim in the Irish Sea south of Dublin City, a 56-mile bike course through the stunning countryside surrounding Dublin and then a 13.1 run in the heart of the city with a finish in Merrion Square, one of Dublin’s most iconic locations."

It'll need two "centres" to make it work - always did. The Bus transfers will be a pain for sure. I'd say this is how it was sold to the Franchise. What a pain to finish in the centre and then have to head out to Dunlaoghaire/ Seapoint/ wherever to get your stuff and the party going on 5 miles away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Podge83 wrote: »

"It'll need two "centres" to make it work - always did. The Bus transfers will be a pain for sure. I'd say this is how it was sold to the Franchise. What a pain to finish in the centre and then have to head out to Dunlaoghaire/ Seapoint/ wherever to get your stuff and the party going on 5 miles away!

Would it not be possible/easier to ask that goggles, wetsuits and hats go into a labeled bag/box in T1. And for all of these to be brought to T2 which could be in Trinity/Phoenix park/other that is not too far from Merrion Sq finishing line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

"The IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin triathlon will consist of a 1.2-mile swim in the Irish Sea south of Dublin City, a 56-mile bike course through the stunning countryside surrounding Dublin and then a 13.1 run in the heart of the city with a finish in Merrion Square, one of Dublin’s most iconic locations."

It'll need two "centres" to make it work - always did. The Bus transfers will be a pain for sure. I'd say this is how it was sold to the Franchise. What a pain to finish in the centre and then have to head out to Dunlaoghaire/ Seapoint/ wherever to get your stuff and the party going on 5 miles away!
    ...unless the swim starts around the South Wall, up to O'Connell Bridge...:D

I know there is plenty of cynicism on this thread, but it would be pretty impressive if they can logistically pull off a Dun Laoghaire type swim, Wicklow/ Dublin bike and a city centre run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

is this the thread with the most all time viewings of the tri forum ?
    if is not iam sure it will be soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

its on like Donkey Kong

peter kern wrote: »
    is this the thread with the most all time viewings of the tri forum ?
    if is not iam sure it will be soon.

and yet some people reckoned there was no interest in it :cool:

Izoard wrote: »
    ...unless the swim starts around the South Wall, up to O'Connell Bridge...:D

I know there is plenty of cynicism on this thread, but it would be pretty impressive if they can logistically pull off a Dun Laoghaire type swim, Wicklow/ Dublin bike and a city centre run.

And It looks like thats the target.

Referring to Cartmans earlier post it looks like T1 and T2 will be together with the finish in Merrion Square. Wetsuits, etc can easily be shipped to the finish (as other races do incl Hardman I think ???), but moving bikes would not be on.

To have a T2 seperate would make it 3 centres as well as closing down another route in the City!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭griffin100

The swim is in Scotsmans Bay, head south towards wicklow mts on bike, back to merrion sq via clonskeagh road, run on quays.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

griffin100 wrote: »
    run on quays.

Sounds dull ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Split transitions work fine. Antwerp 70.3 was a split transition, you dumped all your gear in a box in T1 and they transferred it to T2 for you... It was waiting in T2 as you went out on the run.

I don't know why everyone is being so negative about the race to be honest, there are races I have no interest in but I wouldn't spend time picking them apart. If you don't want to race it don't enter, I am sure it will sell enough entries to be worthwhile.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Split transitions work fine. Antwerp 70.3 was a split transition, you dumped all your gear in a box in T1 and they transferred it to T2 for you... It was waiting in T2 as you went out on the run.

I don't know why everyone is being so negative about the race to be honest, there are races I have no interest in but I wouldn't spend time picking them apart. If you don't want to race it don't enter, I am sure it will sell enough entries to be worthwhile.

the attitude around here is so weird towards it. as i said, its almost like an uber cool, hipster/snob thing to look down on it

Split Transitions work fine if T2 is near the finish. It looks as though T2 will be in Merrion Sq now - it didn't earlier.

I'm not being negative - I just know the whole thing is going to be a disaster :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Split Transitions work fine if T2 is near the finish. It looks as though T2 will be in Merrion Sq now - it didn't earlier.

I'm not being negative - I just know the whole thing is going to be a disaster :-)

Again T2 in Antwerp was at least a mile from the finish line... I had no complaints about it.

Disaster wise.. I assume whoever is running this also runs some other IM branded races around Europe? Providing they sort road closures etc.. I can't see why it cannot work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

it think 98 times out of 100 ironman races work out ( we could not say the same about garmin and thats the 2nd most discussed thread on boards ;-)

• Advertisement

Again T2 in Antwerp was at least a mile from the finish line... I had no complaints about it.

Disaster wise.. I assume whoever is running this also runs some other IM branded races around Europe? Providing they sort road closures etc.. I can't see why it cannot work.

Look, We are a small community here... let these big organizations feck off and let us have our own small comfy races to ourselves!! A mate of mine needs to get to work on Sundays across the South City - What you got to say to Him!!!???

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

cart man wrote: »
    Would it not be possible/easier to ask that goggles, wetsuits and hats go into a labeled bag/box in T1. And for all of these to be brought to T2 which could be in Trinity/Phoenix park/other that is not too far from Merrion Sq finishing line?

Antwerp was done like that. Your T1 box was transferred to T2 for pickup after the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Sounds dull ;)

Why dull? Plenty of opportunity for spectator support no?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

Look, We are a small community here... let these big organizations feck off and let us have our own small comfy races to ourselves!! A mate of mine needs to get to work on Sundays across the South City - What you got to say to Him!!!???

Should we cancel the Dublin Marathon as well?

bopperr wrote: »

Please do. that'd save me 4 months of pain

bopperr wrote: »

I'll bite

Dublin marathon has ~ 12000 participants, over a thousand of them tourists (and many more internal tourists) asks for no money from the city afaik, has rolling road closures for most of the course, and has been running for over 30 years, raising how many millions for charity?

A better comparison would be the Rock and Roll half marathon - a new commercial event looking to shut down the city centre. But the R&R has 5/6000 participants, huge numbers of them are tourists, extremely time-limited road closures in the city centre (as in, you have an hour to get to Heuston, after that the DART starts up again) and most of the event was limited to the park.

Is the tattoo lobby really this powerful? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

What would people guess would be the number doing this race?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

IM events have rolling road closures.

Oryx wrote: »
    IM events have rolling road closures.

yes, but even rolling the road will closed for a long time because the field is so strung out. On the bike leg, leaders will start 30? minutes after the race begins, tailenders will start 90 minutes later (more?) because of wave starts and longer time in the water. The leaders will start their run 3 hours after the race starts, the people at the other end of the race will start their run 3 hours later. So that section of road - at the start of the run - has to be closed for 4 hours.

• Advertisement

A serious post now.

Ireland and Dublin in particular knows how to put on an event and I suspect the silence we are now hearing is down to the organizers making sure that this race is a success. I cant see IM proceeding unless they have the 100% support of:

1) The Gardai
    2) Dublin City Council
    3) Dunlaoghaire Rathdown County Council
    4) South Dublin County Council (If applicable)
    5) Wicklow County Council
    6) Big Business - serious sponsorship

Assuming full support of the above this event would rank among the best, no doubt. Whenever these big events come here the are always a resounding success. There is no reason it would not be.

OK, there will be side effects - Traffic could be bad - however, Irish people are intelligent and don't/ won't go to town on 9th August 2015 - if they do on business that they don't have to they will get held up!!

The 9th August will be a Hurling Semi Final day and once Wexford (OK not likely, but strange things happen) aren't in it South City Traffic shouldn't be badly affected - however the Gardai would have the cop-on (pun intended) to ensure the traffic is well warned and diverted around the M50.

Would I enter it - yes as long as I had nothing better to do - It will be interesting to See what TI do with the calendar on this weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement