Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

adamski8 wrote: »
    What would people guess would be the number doing this race?

1500-2000 based on other European races

RayCun wrote: »
    yes, but even rolling the road will closed for a long time because the field is so strung out. On the bike leg, leaders will start 30? minutes after the race begins, tailenders will start 90 minutes later (more?) because of wave starts and longer time in the water. The leaders will start their run 3 hours after the race starts, the people at the other end of the race will start their run 3 hours later. So that section of road - at the start of the run - has to be closed for 4 hours.

But... So what? There are road closures monthly... Maybe even weekly in Dublin for various events and races.

I really don't get the issue with this race. If DCC are in favour of closing the roads and the organiser is happy to go ahead what is the issue?

What is with the negative attitude towards the IM brand? Why is some small club race in the arse end of Kerry considered to be better or more worthy of competitors? I really don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

mloc123 wrote: »
    But... So what? There are road closures monthly... Maybe even weekly in Dublin for various events and races.

I really don't get the issue with this race. If DCC are in favour of closing the roads and the organiser is happy to go ahead what is the issue?.

It is enormously difficult to get extended road closures on main roads. There's a reason why so many Dublin races are in the park. This race would see roads closed for a relatively long time for a relatively small number of people, and they want the council to pay then for the privilege. If people want to do the race that's up to them, but if I were on the council I'd be a asking why it should be supported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

^dont worry, sure haven't we been told by quite a few that it 100% not going ahead for such obvious reasons ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Podge83 wrote: »
    Assuming full support of the above this event would rank among the best, no doubt. Whenever these big events come here the are always a resounding success. There is no reason it would not be.

it'll be tough so going up against the galway IM 70.3

oh wait....how did that work out again?

I've no issue with the race, i had my doubts it would ever take place which i voiced earlier. good luck to all doing it, i've no interest in paying over the odds for an irish half IM just because of a brand, there are other half IMs here that i'd vouch this won't match, have been running for ages, will cost a third of this and are in nicer locations.

i'd pay IM prices to do an IM race somewhere else, but not in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

mossym wrote: »

I've no issue with the race, i had my doubts it would ever take place which i voiced earlier. good luck to all doing it, i've no interest in paying over the odds for an irish half IM just because of a brand, there are other half IMs here that i'd vouch this won't match, have been running for ages, will cost a third of this and are in nicer locations.

So just how much will we be expected to pay for this race - what's the IM going rate for a 70.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

I've done 4 irish HIM's:
    1. Eireman (2009) - disaster of the highest order
    2. Sperrin Half (2010) - ok, road surfaces **** in parts and bike course dangerous at times, run ok
    3. Tri and Mhi (2011) - well run, nice bike and run course
    4. Lost Sheep (2013) - well run, bike course good but other than that nothing special

None were on closed roads so an IM on closed roads will be an attraction, especially on some of the climbs in wicklow. That said I doubt I'll do it, I couldn't justify paying the expected entry fee. However a full IM in Dublin would tempt me.

griffin100 wrote: »

None were on closed roads so an IM on closed roads will be an attraction, .

closed roads for a race would be the one thing that would draw me to it, but you mentioned lost sheep, sure that's pretty much closed roads for the numbers of cars you see:)

closed roads for a race would be the one thing that would draw me to it, but you mentioned lost sheep, sure that's pretty much closed roads for the numbers of cars you see:)

Ha, that is true.......but it would be nice to descend off a mountain knowing for sure that no cars were coming around a bend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So just how much will we be expected to pay for this race - what's the IM going rate for a 70.3?

Roughly €250 + active europe admin fees

I've always said I'd be more surprised to see this go ahead than I would be to see it cancelled. I wouldn't stump up €250 to do a race in Ireland, not sure I'd stump up €250 for a half unless I was chasing a podium place to be honest(and I've never done a half or and IM, it just seems an awful lot of money for a half to me, my opinion only)

Wouldn't worry about GAA, they can host big GAA games outside Dublin, they can play it outside Dublin.

I've always thought the support for or against this s going to residents of Dublin who it will affect. Maybe they'll get on board but we all know that the majority of people have absolutely no idea who the Ironman brand are and will see this as an inconvenience no matter how much notice they get. People do still give out about DCM and forget it's on despite how many years it has been running.

• Advertisement

The suggested route is going to inconvenience big parts of leafy south Dublin, let alone the city ctr. I'm surprised that they are going for the bike and run finish in the city ctr. This will cause a lot more disruption than the DCM - an out and back bike is 45-50kms of roads to be managed and as a Garda said to me it's not like DCM when you can safely get pedestrians across the road when the masses have passed, how safe is it going to be trying to get pedestrians across a bike route with speeding cyclists? Add a run route of say 7km x 3 laps that's more closed roads. Its a significant logistical exercise and whilst it's doable (other cities manage it) they're going to have to attract dozens of volunteers to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

as a Garda said to me it's not like DCM when you can safely get pedestrians across the road when the masses have passed, how safe is it going to be trying to get pedestrians across a bike route with speeding cyclists?
    Could be said about any IM around the world and bike races like the Giro.

Really don't see the negativity about all this. If you don't want to do it, ignore it.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Could be said about any IM around the world and bike races like the Giro.

Really don't see the negativity about all this. If you don't want to do it, ignore it.

I agree with you, just passing on what was said to me today. Although come to think of it I should be negative about this race as I've just realised that the proposed route is going to cause me headaches work wise :)

The suggested route is going to inconvenience big parts of leafy south Dublin, let alone the city ctr. I'm surprised that they are going for the bike and run finish in the city ctr. This will cause a lot more disruption than the DCM - an out and back bike is 45-50kms of roads to be managed and as a Garda said to me it's not like DCM when you can safely get pedestrians across the road when the masses have passed, how safe is it going to be trying to get pedestrians across a bike route with speeding cyclists? Add a run route of say 7km x 3 laps that's more closed roads. Its a significant logistical exercise and whilst it's doable (other cities manage it) they're going to have to attract dozens of volunteers to help.

And yet major cities all around Europe some how manage this on a yearly basis for the other IM 70.3 and 140.6 races... I wonder what their secrets are.

There seems to be some idea that Dublin is a huge city, it is a large town by other countries standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Ok, not sure why you can't see why this would be attractive, but for me:

1. Its local. I live in Dublin and my car is banjaxed. That 200 quid difference in entry fee between lost sheep and IM Dublin is almost immediately saved in petrol accommodation and food costs.

2. Closed roads. Getting to cycle/run around Dublin and wicklow on closed roads would be amazing. Think if how many turn up to DCM or rock and roll just for this experience.

3. Crowds. I did the Humbert HIM last year which was an amazing experience and really well run race, but the roads were fairly empty for most of the run. The idea of having people cheering you on during the run is fantastic.

4. IM brand. I'd be lying if I said this wasn't an attraction. If all of you are right about this being a logistical nightmare and there's a good chance of it never being run again, I absolutely want to get on board. Being part of the only HIM ever to be run in Dublin. Now that would be class!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i love that some pay for an Im brand abraod but not paying for an Im in Ireland. I mean seriously. Either you are willing to pay their entry fees or not. given the fact that if you calculate what kenamre will cost you with petrol accommondation , for a dub the overall price will be the same. and it will be the cheapest option to do an IM race . I think its fair to bring up the prices ironman charges , but again nobody has to do the race

a reasonable argument would be i prefer to do smaller races and dont need the razzmatass for cheper price . but fact is most people want the razzmatzzz and want to pay for it. and now there is a CHOICE for us which type of race we want to do.

overall its intersting what low opinion most people have about their country to organize an event and the people tolerating one. Living 500m from the avivia stadium and 700 from the RDS I get to see many road closures but i love it that something is happening and the buzz those events bring with them by far outweighs the inconvenience.
    We should be happy for any event in Dublin as it makes the city an more intersting place to live ( i have no interest in the dublin horse show have never been to the Aviva stadium but i think its fab those things happen and i get great atmoshphere for free)

anyway reading this thread its shows again that boards is quite a negative place .

I dodnt understand why people need the razzmatazz to do a race but i understand that people want it . So i think its a good thing, and it will be easier to enter the lost sheep and tri an mhi for those that want to do a smaller race . in my mind a win win situation for everybody
    apart from the shadowman i see no inconvenience for any other half IM in ireland and if shadow man changes their date they could make it work in favor for them.

people are worried that tri has passed its peak.The 70.3 race will make sure this trend is turned .so this will be good for all local races. For many the 70.3 dublin will be bucket list race doing dublin 70,3 but quite a few willl stick and do other events let alone will be doing events before the race to prepare for 70.3 )
    so again a win win situation .
    and for good sake even the negative Akw will make money selling more garmins and running shoes ....
    it will also be a great day of income for triathlon ireland as i guess they will never sell more 1 days licences ever and with their pricing structure they get more money the bigger an event is. the city will gain money which i think it needs

Like with anything there is no guarranty this will work out, but becasue there is a chance it wont work should they not try it ???
    Hamburg has now some 300 000 spectators frankfurt prob a bit more so if the boring germans get an event of the ground why not irleland . reading this thread one has doubts it can be done in ireland ,but if you want to get an event thatis really spectator friendly you have to go to the city centre .and since the crisis dublon can avail of an city bypass that is not really busy on a sunday . Again it might not work out but i think its worth a tri and the same people that now complain about a city centre location where the ones that said that 70.3 dublin will be held in wicklow town and what a disgrace that will be ...

Ok, not sure why you can't see why this would be attractive, !

maybe because 3 of your pluses are either a negative or a don't care for me? i said in my post I'd no issue with it, it's just not for me. why is that a problem? i totally accept for those living in Dublin, and/or those who want to do a big event as a once off wow event this is something special.

me saying I'm not interested doesn't mean i expect everyone else to share that view. can totally get why you think it's attractive. doesn't mean i need to share that view to understand it.

peter kern wrote: »
    i love that some pay for an Im brand abraod but not paying for an Im in Ireland. I mean seriously. Either you are willing to pay their entry fees or not. given the fact that if you calculate what kenamre will cost you with petrol accommondation , for a dub the overall price will be the same. and it will be the cheapest option to do an IM race . I think its fair to bring up the prices ironman charges , but again nobody has to do the race

couple of factors in it

first, going abroad, you've usually little information about smaller local races, the location, how to get to the race, the set-up, when you need to be where. going with one of the big races, and by saying I'd do an IM abroad i meant a challenge event as well, I've no particular love for the IM brand, you rule a lot of the unknown out. i've done one foriegn race, on lanzarote, and it was a smaller local one as i knew Puerto del carmen where it was on and could arrange what was needed. i'd actually go with the smaller race in a lot of cases but not always an easy option

with the cost, going abroad the cost of the race becomes a small part of a much bigger overall cost. plus, the dublin view is apparent in a load of the posts, including yours peter. the petrol/accommodation you mention for kenmare applies to a lot of us for dublin too. And kenmare is pretty reasonable to stay in, even for lost sheep. wait till the Dublin hotels do their usual trick and push prices 5x for that weekend.

lastly, i had a think about it, and asked myself after paying all that extra cost, would i wake up the morning of the race any happier i was doing dublin 70.3 over kenmare, and the answer was no. so decision made. Once the entries open might that change? sure.

i think it's perfectly reasonable to say you wouldn't do an IM branded race here because you'd do the local ones instead. I'm pretty sure there are people in Germany and Austria who don;t do branded races in their home countries because they do the local races, but would do one abroad

you call boards a negative place peter. i see it a bit differently. it can sometimes be a place people need absolute reinforcement of their own opinion, and differing opinions are not tolerated. we tend to be very polar in our views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

RayCun wrote: »

Is the tattoo lobby really this powerful? :rolleyes:

change the record .....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

maybe because 3 of your pluses are either a negative or a don't care for me? i said in my post I'd no issue with it, it's just not for me. why is that a problem? i totally accept for those living in Dublin, and/or those who want to do a big event as a once off wow event this is something special.

me saying I'm not interested doesn't mean i expect everyone else to share that view. can totally get why you think it's attractive. doesn't mean i need to share that view to understand it.

That's grand. Wasn't attacking you or asking you to share a view. Just seemed from a few peoples posts that they couldn't even understand why someone might be drawn to this over other HIM races.

I completely intend on doing other HIM's (particularly Lost Sheep) some day, but I see this as ticking a very different set of boxes. Particularly as, for me personally, I'd never pay to do an IM or HIM abroad. Now that's expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Will you need an ODL or Triathlon Ireland Licence to race this? I doubt it - it will be outside TI's remit I'd Guess.

I think the perceived "negativity" of this thread is coming from people who appreciate what a major task it will be to successfully present this race in Dublin. Logistically it will be a huge challenge (again no pun). The road closures as seemingly being discussed for this will dwarf those of DCM or even the Giro when it came. With the support of the agencies mentioned in my previous post it could be a great race. I fear that the entry fee however will be prohibitive for many - ok it will be cheaper than travelling foreign for an IM branded race, but the cost of putting this race on will be huge. This isn't negative, it’s realistic! I would be very surprised at the same time if it doesn't sell out - many coming from overseas - that would be a good thing too. If it goes ahead it must be done right, and I believe it won’t go ahead unless it is done right!
    As I understood it originally, T2 was going to be out at Dunlaoghaire. This would not be good. Twin centre transitions in themselves are no problem when your T1 stuff is put in a bag and transported to the finish area - my worry was being miles from your bike at the finish - being bussed out to Dun Laoghaire away from the Party would not be good - that was my concern, not twin centre transitions which are not a problem as long as T2 is near the finish.

As Mossy touches on, the entry cost when travelling abroad is only a part of something that is looked on as an overall cost - look at the cost of entering Kona - if you qualify it’s not long after the congrats die off before your asked for your €800 odd dollars - that's only part of the thousands of overall cost. Usually and for most travelling abroad for a big race is the event of the year and for some it is their holiday.

Why are there no Tri's in the City? Before you mention DCT, that's held in the Park mainly, and is a great race given the constraints that the organizers work in. The only road outside the park affected is the Chapelizod Road. The reason is the size of the task and the requirement of the co-operation of the agencies. Get this co-operation and the money via a big sponsor and it becomes practical.

With a price tag of €250.00 plus I think I'll be heading to Kenmare again - personally that's what I would prefer. In the interest of the City though, a successful IM 70.3 and maybe full IM in the future would be great. Are IM getting all the co-operation they need? – That is the question!!

IM is a brand – it’s a business selling a product. (Although, in my opinion IM is all about the Iron distance - surely an IM 70.3 is a contradiction in itself – you are doing a half IM distance Triathlon - by doing this race you won’t be an Ironman!!!) The 70.3 is just another product they now offer - my point is its business – marketing – they won’t present the race unless they will make a profit. I hope they present it and make it successful and make a profit – that would be good all around.

All that said, when and if it opens the fingers will be itchy and the credit card will be hiding!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

you call boards a negative place peter. i see it a bit differently. it can sometimes be a place people need absolute reinforcement of their own opinion, and differing opinions are not tolerated. we tend to be very polar in our views.

agree with this, im not going to go through the thread and count but id guess that its pretty close count in terms of people for or against , and yet the thread is classed as negative ,
    it would be interesting to do a poll and see how many would / wouldnt enter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Will you need an ODL or Triathlon Ireland Licence to race this? I doubt it - it will be outside TI's remit I'd Guess.

You'll need some class of license, I'd imagine.

IMs abroad usually require production of your TI card or purchase of a ODL.

If this is not part of TI, maybe a temporary body will be established to fleece us of the required €20 or so?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Someone say Poll?

Try this
    www surveymonkey com/s/H8K533R

I'm still a junior so you'll have to figure out the link, it's not rocket surgery though
    I'll post results tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Izoard wrote: »

If this is not part of TI, maybe a temporary body will be established to fleece us of the required €20 or so?;)

No they will get their ODL money don't you worry ;)

Good to see it looks like its happening, although I had hoped it would be somewhere else in Ireland - bloody Dubs get everything!

From my own perspective there is enough competition and good local races that will be far cheaper at this distance, so I wouldn't be interested in doing it. However if they do go ahead with a full distance race in 2016 I would certainly consider that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Izoard wrote: »

Your TI membership or ODL was required from 70.3 Galway.

Just to add in general its a bit harsh to say we are negative about the event. I for one was questioning if this would ever go ahead as the logistics would be a nightmare especially in light of the difficulty of local clubs getting roads restricted etc.

In hindsight looking at the excitment of the Galway 70.3 in year one followed by slating criticism (due to year 1 organisation issues & short swim etc) and the subsequent lack of Irish support in year 2 which was partially responsible (IM greed was a factor too) lead to the demise of the event.

Local event organisers pull this event together. IM have nothing to do with it until race week other than marketing and branding.

Anyway best of luck to anyone who goes ahead and enters, hope training works out and I'm off to find out how to adopt a monkey. :cool:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92551967&postcount=258

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Meh - poll duplication cock up...can a mod intervene, as I can't seem to delete...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Someone say Poll?

Try this
    www surveymonkey com/s/H8K533R

I'm still a junior so you'll have to figure out the link, it's not rocket surgery though
    I'll post results tomorrow morning

www.surveymonkey.com/s/H8K533R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

quote Akw
    Local event organisers pull this event together. IM have nothing to do with it until race week other than marketing and branding.

not so correct so far most of the organzing has been going through ironman europe. they came over to discuss with authorities what routes are possible etc .
    its those people that have an understanding how copenhagen frankfurt etc are run which have similar logistic requirements.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement