Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

Any Word on Dates, Price etc.

i dont want to pay an arm or a leg ("figure of Speech") for the Race

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Any Word on Dates, Price etc.

i dont want to pay an arm or a leg ("figure of Speech") for the Race

Entry will be about 250e-300e based on other European races.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

peter kern wrote: »
    quote Akw
    Local event organisers pull this event together. IM have nothing to do with it until race week other than marketing and branding.

not so correct so far most of the organzing has been going through ironman europe. they came over to discuss with authorities what routes are possible etc .
    its those people that have an understanding how copenhagen frankfurt etc are run which have similar logistic requirements.

Pedantic much? :rolleyes:

It is usually local event organisers that pull the event together locally. IM rock in with their trucks set up their gear, run the day and rock on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

mloc123 wrote: »
    Entry will be about 250e-300e based on other European races.

how much is the lost sheep again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

kenmare around 100
    its like a car some want a cheap one that gets them form Ato B some a BMW and some like me happiest without a car ;-)

but the one that want the extras can now chose to do such race in ireland ( and last time i checked nobody is forced to enter as it looks like it will not be a national series race ;-) ;-)

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Pedantic much? :rolleyes:

It is usually local event organisers that pull the event together locally. IM rock in with their trucks set up their gear, run the day and rock on out.

I am only saying what has happend so far in dublin ( not galway) and of course they will be a local event organiser ( i could not tell you if they already have one by nnow but for a long time they did not it was more a committee of various people and the boardie with likely the biggest inside knowledge has never commented on this thread)
    .fact is that ironman does take more and more controll over their events and even for galway had somebody coming over quite regularly form the uk.to support and controll the set up and to review progress.
    I think there is a few good articles by dan enfield how ironman has been changing its structure, and he would know more than most whats happening in triathlon )
    so maybe you would like to educate yourself a bit more before you comment ( and a few years your comment would have been quite correct i think ) .I am sure you have had good insider knowlege for galway but this was also at a time where ironman made many changes how races are organiced . As i said i am no insider either but have read up quite a bit , they can certainly be mistakes in what i say but its not just comments made between writting 2 programs or selling a pair of shoes.

And i guess this is what does annoy me most aobut this thread, most of what the boards experts have written is based n what they think not what realy happens (again i am by far not an expert on the subject either )

And the he board experts that predict desaster could be right (out off the last 100 organised races in europe we do have berlin which did not work out and was cancelled in the 2nd year But at the end of the day from the little i know i can clearly say this is dealt with , much more professionally than most people think. I am not saying its easy to organize a race in dublin but the people involved with from ironman ,police council etc , do understand this but also have much more expertise than any of us on this forum (BTH and some otheres would certainly know a good bit about the complications for a race in dublin but for big scale races in a city i dodnt think anybody has real knowledge )
    from personal experience IM races and smaller races i would not be to fixed on any course proposed until race week .the course might change close to the race that happens quitet often in races ( i could think of ironman arizona, fingal tri and a few more )
    but i do not think ironman would have announced this race ( and i think some people with access to high up people in the police have confirmed this ) when they where not seriously confident this will work out unless something really unplanned would happen.

ps i voted for undecided to if i do the race but will certainly spectate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

how much is the lost sheep again ?

Think the max i have paid for a branded half IM is 270..usually 250..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

And i guess this is what does annoy me most aobut this thread, most of what the boards experts have written is based n what they think not what realy happens (again i am by far not an expert on the subject either )

Peter, in fairness, many of the logistical comments are based on some experience of dealing with the various councils around the Greater Dublin area.
    Dealing with one is OK, but as soon as you cross a council boundary, a whole world of pain generally opens up - I've seen a number of "good idea" events never getting off the ground due to the multi-council issue.

If IM/organisers have a top down approach (i.e. Minister X has publically backed it..), then it is much more likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Someone say Poll?

Try this
    www surveymonkey com/s/H8K533R

I'm still a junior so you'll have to figure out the link, it's not rocket surgery though
    I'll post results tomorrow morning

SURVEY MONKEY RESULTS
    Miller's Poll had a better response rate but mine came in at
    73% would enter Ironman 70.3 Dublin
    27% would not

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

SURVEY MONKEY RESULTS
    Miller's Poll had a better response rate but mine came in at
    73% would enter Ironman 70.3 Dublin
    27% would not

remember though, that many of those not doing it, like myself, weren't ar$ed voting on a poll for a race they weren't doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

mossym wrote: »
    remember though, that many of those not doing it, like myself, weren't ar$ed voting on a poll for a race they weren't doing.

not sure that would change where the majority sit

miller82 wrote: »
    not sure that would change where the majority sit

maybe. maybe not. people who are doing it are way more likely to vote than people not doing it which will skew the numbers.

same vein, you'll find way more people complaining about a product online, because they are more motivated, than you will find people posting that they are happy with it. can make it look like there is nothing but problems with something when those with problems may be in the vast minority

the race will be a big success no matter what the poll says. what's on boards is a small set of those who might do it, and not a very representative subsegment either

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

mossym wrote: »

Ar$ed enough to read and comment but not vote?

Seanie_H wrote: »

Hipsters dont vote on polls ............................................ :P

Seanie_H wrote: »

aye, funny that, enjoy discussion more than a meaningless poll. my position has been stated why would i vote, especially when people go off and start numerous polls on the same subject.
    miller82 wrote: »
    Hipsters dont vote on polls ............................................ :P

oh the irony.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Why do some people seem so offended by the fact some people don't want to do the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Why do some people seem so offended by the fact some people don't want to do the race?

Hard to tell. Perhaps another poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

I don't believe people are offended at all that some people do not want to do this race.
    What I can't understand (and what I get the impression others can't either) is why people who do not intend to do this race and have already come on here and declared that and their reasons for doing so continue to come on to this thread and comment about it at all?

cart man wrote: »
    I don't believe people are offended at all that some people do not want to do this race.
    What I can't understand (and what I get the impression others can't either) is why people who do not intend to do this race and have already come on here and declared that and their reasons for doing so continue to come on to this thread and comment about it at all?

It's a discussion forum - thats what it is for...it's still a triathlon which is what people on here are interested in...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It's good to talk.

I'm interested in this discussion same as Im interested in the discussion on water charges even though my house has a private well. I want to see if it goes ahead, and if it does, what kind of race it turns out to be.

• Advertisement

i did't do kona, don;t intend to ever do it, should i not have posted in that thread either? same for the im threads.

i;ve already said i think the race will be a success, I've said i understand why some people were all over it. i haven't been bashing the race. the post that seems to have caused this wasn't even about the race, but just commenting on a flawed interpretation of numbers from a poll. nothing more.

if the insecurity level of posters is that high that only those doing it (and i wonder how many of those supporting it here will actually end up doing it) can post, then fair enough. don't want to upset anyone, the mods have enough on their hands. enjoy the race

Izoard wrote: »
    Peter, in fairness, many of the logistical comments are based on some experience of dealing with the various councils around the Greater Dublin area.
    Dealing with one is OK, but as soon as you cross a council boundary, a whole world of pain generally opens up - I've seen a number of "good idea" events never getting off the ground due to the multi-council issue.

If IM/organisers have a top down approach (i.e. Minister X has publically backed it..), then it is much more likely to happen.

hmm but do people really think that a cooperation that is very well known to protect his brand vigorously ie has a v strong legal department, announces something they are not pretty sure is water tight ???
    or in other words i can think of 2 races that where announced and did not happen in the last 4 years berlin and new york so this is something like 2 out of 260 races.
    At least this how i look at this.
    And no i do not say its easy ( i believe its bloody hard ) and I would never say it could not fail.
    As you said there was a minister behind this (at that time that was most likely a crucial time in negotiations the transport minister who does triathlons)
    i think it is great if people where to question ,if a company that is owned by a hedge fund is a good thing for triathlon , are the entry fees justyfied ,
    but they do have an organising record which is 2nd to none in triathlon. and i think this is hard to arugue with.but many seem to ignore that.

i totally agree its fine that people dont like the race or the company that organizes it but it would be better to say why don t you like it rather than making a comment that does not seem to be well thought out ie like runing along the keys is boring, mention why you think this is nota good idea.

you always tout pulse on boards for new menbers i guaranttee you that you will get more menbers than you want with this race. so maybe try to think a bit wider than just only me me me. iam sure it will affect one or 2 races negatively but again its likely to have more people to enter your clubs race which i dodnt thik sold out.
    more people will be doing your clubs aquathons as prep for the race .

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lopesc

I'm undecided so I would like to hear both sides of the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I haven't raced since a parkrun in January and haven't done a tri since Swinford HIM last year.

This will be on my birthday, a month before my wedding so I'm feeling very tempted to go for it.

Would like to see an official course map.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

It's a discussion forum - thats what it is for...it's still a triathlon which is what people on here are interested in...

The quality of the discussion is actually quite poor.

25 pages could be summed up as - Race announced, race may not take place - a lot of complications to organising this race (getting a route that works, transition locations, different councils), this race will cost about approx €250, there are smaller races that potentially offer better value/experiences in Ireland, why would IM risk the success of their race going up against CK and people should not get IM tattoos/gear

It would be great if people add to the discussion and don't continue to repeat things already commented on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

God help anyone abroad contemplating doing the race who googles Ironman 70-3 Dublin and stumbles across this gold mine of a thread:)

i totally agree its fine that people dont like the race or the company that organizes it but it would be better to say why don t you like it rather than making a comment that does not seem to be well thought out ie like runing along the keys is boring, mention why you think this is nota good idea.

Is this purely directed at me? I never said I don't think it's a good idea or I don't 'like' the race or the company that organises it. Like many I could see the complications in organising this race and I reckon there will be more complications the closer it gets as I do not see local residents being in support of this. From experience as both a competitor and marshalling races I know how unsupportive Irish people are of the disruption races cause their precious lives. Have nearly been knocked off my feet on more than one occasion by people who couldn't wait for a short road race to pass!

It could very well be the same situation in every location that IM run races, but I don't live in those places so I don't know if that is the case.

I've little interest in doing this race. Have already mentioned I find the idea of a race like this in Dublin very dull. Same reason I wouldn't do DCT which is on my doorstep and my costs associated with this race would be entry fee only. Nothing appeals to me about doing an IM or half IM in Dublin, perhaps my opinion would change somewhere down the line, but as it stands, I still see many complications to them getting this off the ground.

I do think it's appalling if Dublin City Council have to pay for this to happen...as above, this may be the case in other locations also, but I don't live there so I don't know and it wouldn't affect me so I would not care. Dublin City Council have more important things to be spending their money on. It's a catch 22, a race of this size brings in money for tourism etc...but do DCC, DLRCC etc get any of that?
    you always tout pulse on boards for new menbers i guaranttee you that you will get more menbers than you want with this race. so maybe try to think a bit wider than just only me me me. iam sure it will affect one or 2 races negatively but again its likely to have more people to enter your clubs race which i dodnt thik sold out.
    more people will be doing your clubs aquathons as prep for the race .

I honestly don't care how many members Pulse get through this or how many entrants they get for the race or aquathons. 'Touting' Pulse is generally tongue in cheek...don't I usually just post ''Pulse are the best club :)'' Athletics is where my interests in growth, development and support of the sport lie in this respect. I'm staunchly against the Rock and Roll half marathon for a myriad of reasons.

this point on DCC having to pay IM..... where is it coming from ?
    How do we know this is the case ? It seems to have slipped into a lot of points here, but havent seen anyone say they know it is happening. Genuine questions here, not saying it wont happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Why are people so offended by the fact some people do want to do it and hope it happens? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement