Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

miller82 wrote: »
    this point on DCC having to pay IM..... where is it coming from ?
    How do we know this is the case ? It seems to have slipped into a lot of points here, but havent seen anyone say they know it is happening. Genuine questions here, not saying it wont happen.

http://galwayindependent.com/20130109/news/back-to-the-drawing-board-for-ironman-S7130.html
    Fáilte Ireland provided €65,000 for the city event in 2011 and 2012 and €130,000 was being sought by organisers for this year’s event, with Mr McCormack stressing that other European cities that host the race receive €250,000 in State funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ya I would guess that's where Galway fell down with them, they failed to attract the necessary sponsorship money from companies and the local council wasn't interested in making up the shortfall

Ironman is some cash generating monster isn't it. Not only do they earn a fortune in entry fees, they also look for a considerable hello money fee from the host cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

catweazle wrote: »

Ironman is some cash generating monster isn't it. Not only do they earn a fortune in entry fees, they also look for a considerable hello money fee from the host cities.

they are printing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

How do we know this is the case ? It seems to have slipped into a lot of points here, but havent seen anyone say they know it is happening. Genuine questions here, not saying it wont happen.
    catweazle wrote: »
    Ya I would guess that's where Galway fell down with them, they failed to attract the necessary sponsorship money from companies and the local council wasn't interested in making up the shortfall

The lad who pointed this out apparently needs further education :rolleyes:

PS. there was no local sponsorship to alleve the costs for Galway. There were a number of brand 'partners' who paid heavily for the association with IM, none of this went towards mitigating the costs of the event.

The organisers did all the logistics and planning with oversight from IM UK. It was left to them to cover their own costs by organising an expo which failed miserably.

IM took every penny of the entry money and council money and Failte Ireland money too.

But hey, Dublin might be different.

And then leopards change their spots too.

I'm off to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Why do some people seem so offended by the fact some people don't want to do the race?

I think its more the sneering attitude of some established posters towards the 'tattoo lobby' that causes offence TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I think some people here are writing a book about triathletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Folks, can we cut out the snide remarks and digs at one another and keep the thread on track. Thank you.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

AKW wrote: »
    IM took every penny of the entry money and council money and Failte Ireland money too.
    I had heard this is how it always works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

RQ no did not single you out .( i appologize if you felt so )
    quote RQ
    I do think it's appalling if Dublin City Council have to pay for this to happen...as above, this may be the case in other locations also, but I don't live there so I don't know and it wouldn't affect me so I would not care.

hm with all due respect if you dont care than why post half facts ???
    its a forum and a good forum needs good poster that present as many facts as possible .

doing a 5 min google search ( oh the ironny since google gets so many billions of euro form irlenad in tax rebate ...) would allow you to write a post with more info, that cover the outsideworld and not just dublin.
    regardless of challenge ironman Itu you will pay some fees to be able to host a race....,
    so again this is not a question of the dublin 70.3 race this is a question for all big races.

it also happens in many sports Mr Putin is alleged to have paid 100$ million "hello" money a brand for the formula 1 race last weekend .

given the fact that all the races pay it it would appaer that many think they get their money worth ie klagenfurt frankfurt and other races that are running for a long time . and of course this is something that needs to be evaluated after the first race as it cant cost dublin money to hold a race . or at least it must help the ecconomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Because it happens in every other IM and HIM. some areas club together and the hospitality industry cover it. Others the local government.

The vocal voices of reason/experience/accused objection have been shouted down so much that I would say a lot are lost to the forum and that's fine, majority rules. However an enquiring mind would wonder about the vocal and vested voices of unwaivering support.

I'll quite happily do Dublin 70.30 in year three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    The vocal voices of reason/experience/accused objection have been shouted down so much that I would say a lot are lost to the forum and that's fine, majority rules.

They generally come back soon after anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the so called voices of reason said there was no way it would happpen which in a way would suggest they dont quite know how an operation like Im operates ( even if one thinks dublin is the biggest dessaster city for organicing a race one should take Ironmans track record into the equation ).
    Same with the people saying its getting to late that its happeng ( i think 70.3 luxenburg was announced 3 month before the race happend the next year it was considert as a possible world champ location.

I would not be suprised if the course that will be first announced will change , happens all the time that those courses change due to a building site or whatever.

Many of those issues people bring up and try to make as only irish or dublin issues are in fact more world wide issues that happpen in most places around the world. ( people are not happy in most places if they cant driv 200 meter to buy their newspaper , IM newzeland that is 30 years running had the swim cancelld 2-3 times in last 10 years has had some really bad weather too , a lot of cities have to deal with more than one council etc etc )
    yes those are all serious issus but they have been worked out in many other places.
    its one thing mentioning planning is not easy its another thing saying it will never happen, and i would agree a prudent person does not enter the first year ( by prudent i mean people that would also refuse to buy a new garmin model when it comes out and in the last few years was bound to have issues ;-)

Anyway i think i have voiced my opinion enough and its good now ( and I laugh at myself that of all people its me who almost tires to support the most commercial brand in triathlon when i feel that overall its not really moving in the best direction for the sport ) What i really hope is that it will be a benficial event for Dublin and that it gets a few people of their couches and that those people that like this kind of razzmatz races enjoy it . and for those like me that prefer a other type of racing ( unless i would want to qualifiy for hawaii or worlds) we still have many other choices -but even I as somebody that really has little interest to pay to do an Ironman branded race, and out of the 7 ironmans i did I only payed for 2 , I am tempted to do Dublin as i love to cycle from my home to the race start .

And if it will not happen ( did one mention gareth brooks ;-) or will be a desaster than at least somebody has tried and its proven that it cant work in Dublin . But i would still think its better to fail than not to have tried it .
    amen

tunney wrote: »
    Because it happens in every other IM and HIM. some areas club together and the hospitality industry cover it. Others the local government.

The vocal voices of reason/experience/accused objection have been shouted down so much that I would say a lot are lost to the forum and that's fine, majority rules. However an enquiring mind would wonder about the vocal and vested voices of unwaivering support.

I'll quite happily do Dublin 70.30 in year three.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

peter kern wrote: »
    the so called voices of reason said there was no way it would happpen which in a way would suggest they dont quite know how an operation like Im operates ( even if one thinks dublin is the biggest dessaster city for organicing a race one should take Ironmans track record into the equation ).
    Same with the people saying its getting to late that its happeng ( i think 70.3 luxenburg was announced 3 month before the race happend the next year it was considert as a possible world champ location.

I would not be suprised if the course that will be first announced will change , happens all the time that those courses change due to a building site or whatever.

Many of those issues people bring up and try to make as only irish or dublin issues are in fact more world wide issues that happpen in most places around the world. ( people are not happy in most places if they cant driv 200 meter to buy their newspaper , IM newzeland that is 30 years running had the swim cancelld 2-3 times in last 10 years has had some really bad weather too , a lot of cities have to deal with more than one council etc etc )
    yes those are all serious issus but they have been worked out in many other places.
    its one thing mentioning planning is not easy its another thing saying it will never happen, and i would agree a prudent person does not enter the first year ( by prudent i mean people that would also refuse to buy a new garmin model when it comes out and in the last few years was bound to have issues ;-)

Anyway i think i have voiced my opinion enough and its good now ( and I laugh at myself that of all people its me who almost tires to support the most commercial brand in triathlon when i feel that overall its not really moving in the best direction for the sport ) What i really hope is that it will be a benficial event for Dublin and that it gets a few people of their couches and that those people that like this kind of razzmatz races enjoy it . and for those like me that prefer a other type of racing ( unless i would want to qualifiy for hawaii or worlds) we still have many other choices -but even I as somebody that really has little interest to pay to do an Ironman branded race, and out of the 7 ironmans i did I only payed for 2 , I am tempted to do Dublin as i love to cycle from my home to the race start .

And if it will not happen ( did one mention gareth brooks ;-) or will be a desaster than at least somebody has tried and its proven that it cant work in Dublin . But i would still think its better to fail than not to have tried it .
    amen

Probably the most sensible post in this entire thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I see john wallnut has just posted on Facebook that he is to be the race director for IM 70.3
    Dublin. It's on so.

Using a guy who knows the ropes and has done the nearest thing in Dublin should be a good move.

Hope he has good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

He has run a great DCT so good choice - that makes it a lot more real now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I wish they'd hurry up and open registration!

Steroo wrote: »
    I wish they'd hurry up and open registration!

Yep, now the marathon is over I'm beginning to look at all those emails telling me that their event is about to SELL OUT unless I book immediately. I'm going to miss everything unless I enter something soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Yep, now the marathon is over I'm beginning to look at all those emails telling me that their event is about to SELL OUT unless I book immediately. I'm going to miss everything unless I enter something soon!

What event selling out ?

What event selling out ?

None, thats the point. The events create a fear of missing out in order to get early bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

None, thats the point. The events create a fear of missing out in order to get early bookings.

In fairness I hesitated while entering half IM Mallorca and it sold out..

• Advertisement

I missed it too - Mallorca 70.3 - won't make that mistake again.

shansey wrote: »
    In fairness I hesitated while entering half IM Mallorca and it sold out..
    MojoMaker wrote: »
    I missed it too - Mallorca 70.3 - won't make that mistake again.

Hesitated like 'went upstairs to get the wallet' or 'I'll come back to this in 48hrs and enter at the weekend'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Hesitated like 'went upstairs to get the wallet' or 'I'll come back to this in 48hrs and enter at the weekend'?

That race took months to sell out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The course isn't even defined yet, nor the likely high entry fee, and newbies are eager to sign on the dotted line... no wonder IM wants to commit to Ireland!

I don't like this IM effect just because it attracts newbie box tickers, but Tri is large enough to accommodate them too, of course. Can I ask (I know Steroo was asking on the swim forum) what swim training newbies have been doing, while waiting for HIM Dublin to open up? The last thing I want is a bunch of wetsuited breaststrokers ticking this HIM box, and that inability dumbing down even further Tri swims in Ireland. If there is any use for a "zero to 1900m" swim thread, I'm willing to help foster swim ability (not qualified, and would stand aside if someone better is available; but swim proficiency is a bugbear of mine...)

Mallorca 70.3 only got on my radar recently and by then it had sold out, 8-9+ months in advance. I wasn't to know but I know now as they say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

@Kurt - I'm planning for my first HIM next year (not Dublin though, Challenge Weymouth half). Swim with a coached group on Friday evenings and get 1-2 other swims in during the week. I'm pretty slow though - 15 min swim for a sprint, 35 for Olympic after having my goggles pulled off twice and a punch in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

@Kurt - I'm planning for my first HIM next year (not Dublin though, Challenge Weymouth half). Swim with a coached group on Friday evenings and get 1-2 other swims in during the week. I'm pretty slow though - 15 min swim for a sprint, 35 for Olympic after having my goggles pulled off twice and a punch in the face.

I did the bustinskin half in weymouth a few years ago.

tough aint the word.

The bike and run were extremely hard. The Jurassic coast is very hilly.
    The run was up to the top of portland bill and back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

was speaking to someone earlier this evening who said that there are rumours that the half IM in dublin is opening tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

micar wrote: »
    was speaking to someone earlier this evening who said that there are rumours that the half IM in dublin is opening tomorrow.

Any further rumours on price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    The course isn't even defined yet, nor the likely high entry fee, and newbies are eager to sign on the dotted line... no wonder IM wants to commit to Ireland!

I don't like this IM effect just because it attracts newbie box tickers, but Tri is large enough to accommodate them too, of course. Can I ask (I know Steroo was asking on the swim forum) what swim training newbies have been doing, while waiting for HIM Dublin to open up? The last thing I want is a bunch of wetsuited breaststrokers ticking this HIM box, and that inability dumbing down even further Tri swims in Ireland. If there is any use for a "zero to 1900m" swim thread, I'm willing to help foster swim ability (not qualified, and would stand aside if someone better is available; but swim proficiency is a bugbear of mine...)

Ah what's wrong with a bit of breast stroke!? ;)
    I'm on a mission as I don't want to be one of the newbie's out of my depth. But it's inevitable people will underestimate what's required. Lessons and practice all winter long for me and into open water as soon as spring allows.
    And I think signing up with get plenty of people like me a lot more motivated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement