Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

Any further rumours on price?

no mention of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i am sure there is people interested to look into this but I would think that most races in europe are 250 plus 6 or so % for activemultisport fee.

if you know an outlier I would be interested to know but it seems to me that ironman like supermarkets seems to start to charge the same price regardless location
    I could well be wrong and to be fair cant be ar...ed to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

peter kern wrote: »
    i am sure there is people interested to look into this but I would think that most races in europe are 250 plus 6 or so % for activemultisport fee.

How the hell did they manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    The course isn't even defined yet, nor the likely high entry fee, and newbies are eager to sign on the dotted line... no wonder IM wants to commit to Ireland!

I don't like this IM effect just because it attracts newbie box tickers, but Tri is large enough to accommodate them too, of course. Can I ask (I know Steroo was asking on the swim forum) what swim training newbies have been doing, while waiting for HIM Dublin to open up? The last thing I want is a bunch of wetsuited breaststrokers ticking this HIM box, and that inability dumbing down even further Tri swims in Ireland. If there is any use for a "zero to 1900m" swim thread, I'm willing to help foster swim ability (not qualified, and would stand aside if someone better is available; but swim proficiency is a bugbear of mine...)

Thanks for protecting us from the wetsuited breastsrokers Kurt, let us know when you have the entrance criteria for triathlon Ireland membership finalised so we can get practising. After that, could you weed out the walkers from the marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I'll be ok so as I put the crawl in front crawl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Thanks for protecting us from the wetsuited breastsrokers Kurt, let us know when you have the entrance criteria for triathlon Ireland membership finalised so we can get practising. After that, could you weed out the walkers from the marathon?

Someone who walks a marathon doesn't stop anyone else completing the marathon. People entering triathlons who can't swim triathlon distance can lead to swims being canceled, or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If he could I (and others) would be very very happy with him.
    (yes I get the irony but the first half was fine)

You are inexperienced, thats fine, but thats why you don't see the problem with breast strokers. Should you learn to swim properly you will at some stage understand why a breast stroker has no place in a triathlon.

2014 was your first year right? You did one Olympic right?
    Going by trends and the correlation between rushing into IMs/HIMs and longevity in the sport - sounds like 2015 may be your last year.

Regardless - the sport and your races will be alot more enjoyable if you listen to the likes of Kurt, ie those with some experience.

But hey - you continue dismissing me and kurt as "hipsters", "elitests" and what not, but I would love to be a fly on the wall if you ever met one of the actual "elitests" in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

zico10 wrote: »

upsie ;-)

Ps why do you think martin was swimming so slow to close deals like that take away loads of energy ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

It was a sincere attempt to assist anyone looking to start swimming from a low base. I've learned an awful lot regarding swimming directly from members of this forum, and I'm all about swim safely and swim inclusiveness.

If you yourself want to patronise my attempt at setting up a swim thread for beginners, thats your business, but its getting a bit lazy at this stage.

It was a sincere attempt to assist anyone looking to start swimming from a low base. I've learned an awful lot regarding swimming directly from members of this forum, and I'm all about swim safely and swim inclusiveness.

If you yourself want to patronise my attempt at setting up a swim thread for beginners, thats your business, but its getting a bit lazy at this stage.

Kurt, I have the utmost respect for you and I'd be the first one to join in a swim thread if it is set up. But look at your own posts regarding new entrants to triathlon and honestly tell me youre not being patronising either?

Sure, we get it, there are experienced triathletes who dont agree with IM, who they are or what they stand for and thats fine by me. But I dont understand why those that want to do IM or HIM cant be left alone to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt, I have the utmost respect for you and I'd be the first one to join in a swim thread if it is set up. But look at your own posts regarding new entrants to triathlon and honestly tell me youre not being patronising either?

Sure, we get it, there are experienced triathletes who dont agree with IM, who they are or what they stand for and thats fine by me. But I dont understand why those that want to do IM or HIM cant be left alone to do it?
    Sorry to butt in but I dont see it as an objection to IM or long races, but to inexperienced people jumping into long distance before they have built up the experience and ability required. Yes, it is possible to do it in a relatively short timescale, but if you do, the risks to you, and to the organisers, increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

zico10 wrote: »

No wonder AMS can spend so much on kit design

Oryx wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in but I dont see it as an objection to IM or long races, but to inexperienced people jumping into long distance before they have built up the experience and ability required. Yes, it is possible to do it in a relatively short timescale, but if you do, the risks to you, and to the organisers, increase.

Butt in, thats what discussions are for.

The ability of swimmers has appeared as a sub discussion to the original IM one but if (like in DublinTri this year) there were substandard swimmers then the sport needs to put plans in place to stop that. we are already asked to give a predicted time for the swim when we enter. I with my 30/35min olympic distance swim time have no desire to go out in Wave 1 no more than Kurt or Tunney want me there.

Without holding auditions beforehand the organisers have no control over what the entrant puts down. Theres a personal responsibility on behalf of the entrant to act safely but I cant see any way around it.

is it practical to apply regulations such as novice olympic distance triathletes must have completed a set number of sprint before entry is accepted? For me the decision to change from sprint to olympic was based purely on my swim for a mile training and ability to complete that (relatively) successfully.

Oryx wrote: »

succinct yet accurate.

Without holding auditions beforehand the organisers have no control over what the entrant puts down. Theres a personal responsibility on behalf of the entrant to act safely but I cant see any way around it.

In the first sentence you dismiss a mechanism that you lament the non-existence of in the second sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Kurt Gobel generous offer I'll pm you later re: swim I'm competent (not a breast sttoker) but could do with a bit more direction for quality training.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Kurt Gobel generous offer I'll pm you later re: swim I'm competent (not a breast sttoker) but could do with a bit more direction for quality training.

Yeah I'll probably just set up a thread soon anyway. The idea is to help anyone currently on a low swim base (at least able to swim a length or two), to be able to swim 2km OW by next summer. And to do so as fast as they can.

*Caveat- I'm in no way qualified, and if anyone with better credentials wants to do a better job, or takes fault in any "advice" given, feel free. I imagine it'll all come out in the wash anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Yeah I'll probably just set up a thread soon anyway. The idea is to help anyone currently on a low swim base (at least able to swim a length or two), to be able to swim 2km OW by next summer. And to do so as fast as they can.

*Caveat- I'm in no way qualified, and if anyone with better credentials wants to do a better job, or takes fault in any "advice" given, feel free. I imagine it'll all come out in the wash anyway.

That would be great Kurt. I am able to do 2km OW (and more, as I have done almost 3 this summer, albeit very slow!) But I need help to see how I can do it faster!!

PS: I am not considering doing Dublin 70.3 at all btw!!! But would like to get better at OW

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

What? Breaststrokers in the water! What's happened to triathlon?

Next thing we'll see road bikes and hybrids in transition! This has to stop. TT bikes only please.

If we continue like this the run will be disgraced by people jogging or worse - slowing to a walk!

Oh my, the thoughts of it. Triathlon will be ruined unless we all get in to the pool right now and learn how to front crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Clum wrote: »
    What? Breaststrokers in the water! What's happened to triathlon?

Next thing we'll see road bikes and hybrids in transition! This has to stop. TT bikes only please.

If we continue like this the run will be disgraced by people jogging or worse - slowing to a walk!

Oh my, the thoughts of it. Triathlon will be ruined unless we all get in to the pool right now and learn how to front crawl.

Breaststroking is not the problem, it's a symptom of a greater problem: comfort and confidence in the water.

Why do some people breaststroke rather than front crawl? I can't speak for them all, but some of them certainly have a problem with putting their head in the water.

If you are not comfortable putting your head in the water when swimming, getting bashed about a bit by waves/other people, then you have no place in an open water race. None. If you are comfortable with all of the above, and have previously completed a similar distance swim without stopping/holding on to the pool wall, then my opinion would be that it doesn't matter what stroke you are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    That would be great Kurt. I am able to do 2km OW (and more, as I have done almost 3 this summer, albeit very slow!) But I need help to see how I can do it faster!!

PS: I am not considering doing Dublin 70.3 at all btw!!! But would like to get better at OW

+1 Kurt on the pointers for OW. I have no issue with training in the pool but my OW speed seems to be going nowhere. Would love some OW drills or tips

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Totally jumping on the Kurt bandwagon when that thread opens, since I missed out the chance to pester him for months about DCM pacing this year :D

[Idea, it could be done somewhat like the "Marathon novices thread" we do each year, with a new plan / goals set each week and up to folks themselves to do it or make excuses as to why they did not, thread goes on and is used for chat / advice / questions etc - folks join anytime bla bla]

Interestingly I am in the bucket concerned, weak swimmer who simply wants to do a few Tri's for the sake of it [as you say, as a bit of a box ticking exercise]. This is what you have when you have a good sport and it becomes popular!

I could have limped around a swim in a sprint or Olympic this year and did not. I did want to be like those folks you see walking a marathon in 7 hours. I will do it properly next year after a winter of training. I clearly should have put more effort into swimming, but found reasons [aka excuses!] not to :)

Years and years ago I went on a training camp in Cyprus, there were the gobsh1tes age groupers which I was part of and the elites, including gavin noble. Obviously the training was done separately but he took an open water session and it was something I will always remember. We all swam from point to point and he swam between everyone opening wetsuits, taking goggles off, holding peoples heads under water and so on "to get you ready for open water swimming"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

tunney wrote: »
    Years and years ago I went on a training camp in Cyprus, there were the gobsh1tes age groupers which I was part of and the elites, including gavin noble. Obviously the training was done separately but he took an open water session and it was something I will always remember. We all swam from point to point and he swam between everyone opening wetsuits, taking goggles off, holding peoples heads under water and so on "to get you ready for open water swimming"

No wonder KG volunteered to lead this.

When is the first "readiness" swim session in Wicklow Harbour, KG...?

A clubmate of mine was swimming out down near where the race swim might be. A strong experienced OW swimmer, and good that he was. A large male seal climbed on top of him as he was swimming and tried to hump him.

Sounds funny - but its an example of unexpected dangers in water. Imagine barely being able to breaststroke 1900m, its slightly rough, not that many people around and nearing the end of the swim. Suddenly the breast stroker gets mounted by a large bull seal. Do you want to be that person who has a headline written about them "Swimmer dies in bizarre sex act with wildlife"????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A clubmate of mine was swimming out down near where the race swim might be. A strong experienced OW swimmer, and good that he was. A large male seal climbed on top of him as he was swimming and tried to hump him.

Sounds funny - but its an example of unexpected dangers in water. Imagine barely being able to breaststroke 1900m, its slightly rough, not that many people around and nearing the end of the swim. Suddenly the breast stroker gets mounted by a large bull seal. Do you want to be that person who has a headline written about them "Swimmer dies in bizarre sex act with wildlife"????

Not funny!! :o

I didn't even get a kiss when it happened to me off Killiney :(

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

During my second ever Sandycove (kinsale) swim, the coach started shouting at me...couldn't hear what she said, but as I was going a bit far, I stopped and went back to where she was...when I arrived, she said to me..."there was a seal behind you, didn't you see it?"....eehhhh, no, I would have panic to be honest...it's nerve wrecking when swimming with jellyfish, but seals, it takes it to the next level!!!
    Then, a couple of weeks ago, the husband decides to do inishannon to Kinsale swim (circa 11km)...and apparently for most of the last part, a seal was tailing him....he would be experience enough and strong swimmer too...and said it wasn't the best experience!!

Izoard wrote: »
    No wonder KG volunteered to lead this.

When is the first "readiness" swim session in Wicklow Harbour, KG...?

Do I get to pick who joins the session?;)

Swim thread for Tri beginners is open for business, start next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

More and more people seem to be reporting this. I spent 4 breeding seasons jumping off boats and swimming onto seal breeding beaches and back off again and never had an issue with seals trying to hump me, and I was dressed in a black dry suit.

As an aside it was probably a young / juvenile grey seal that climbed on his back. Believe me, if a mature horny bull grey seal decides he's going to have his way with you you'll be proper fcuked - he'll bite you on the back of the neck and hold you down till he's had his way with you, and these guys can be massive (think a large bull with flippers rather than legs). Whether you're doing front crawl at the time or breaststroke wont make any difference ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

griffin100 wrote: »
    More and more people seem to be reporting this. I spent 4 breeding seasons jumping off boats and swimming onto seal breeding beaches and back off again and never had an issue with seals trying to hump me, and I was dressed in a black dry suit.

As an aside it was probably a young / juvenile grey seal that climbed on his back. Believe me, if a mature horny bull grey seal decides he's going to have his way with you you'll be proper fcuked - he'll bite you on the back of the neck and hold you down till he's had his way with you, and these guys can be massive (think a large bull with flippers rather than legs). Whether you're doing front crawl at the time or breaststroke wont make any difference ;)

I did not need to read any of these...:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement