Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

I think a bit of perspective / standing back needs to happen here.

IM motto is 'Anything is possible' Whether that is winning or taking a chance to make the various cut off times and everything in between, all should be welcome, by the other competitors and spectators (they are by WTC thats for sure) Obviously im not condoning doing something stupid / risky but if someone wants to do a bit of breaststroke when they are struggling or a bit or walking if they get a bit tired, so be it. Its very much a personal journey.

Also im not embarrassed to say my training factors in a bit of breaststroke (its a good tool to have when it gets a bit crowded or claustrophobic) and some walks later on and it typically works out ok.

Also firmly of the view that signing up is an ideal incentive to fix a weakness with the best part of a year to go, with appropriate checkpoints in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

daithiK1 wrote: »
    I think a bit of perspective / standing back needs to happen here.

IM motto is 'Anything is possible' Whether that is winning or taking a chance to make the various cut off times and everything in between, all should be welcome, by the other competitors and spectators (they are by WTC thats for sure) Obviously im not condoning doing something stupid / risky but if someone wants to do a bit of breaststroke when they are struggling or a bit or walking if they get a bit tired, so be it. Its very much a personal journey.

Also im not embarrassed to say my training factors in a bit of breaststroke (its a good tool to have when it gets a bit crowded or claustrophobic) and some walks later on and it typically works out ok.

Also firmly of the view that signing up is an ideal incentive to fix a weakness with the best part of a year to go, with appropriate checkpoints in between.

You are, by the tone and implications of your message, condoning doing something stupid "anything is possible" is a fallacy, everything is NOT possible. Somethings just cannot be done, somethings by anyone, somethings by specific people. If you honestly believe "anything is possible" and "you can do anything if you want it enough", well thats unfortunate for you.

Wanting does not equal achieving. Hard work does not equal achieving even. You can work as hard as you want and on the day it doesn't happen for you, or in alot of cases what you are trying is beyond you full stop, now and always.

If someone is struggling over 1900m then they are not competent and should not have entered the water.

Cue "Oh you are being elitist", "You are just being a hipster" and all the rest. I cannot fly, I'm not going to jump out of a plan. Sure I can flap my arms but thats not going to help me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

In fairness, he said "with appropriate checkpoints in between".
    There's nothing wrong with setting yourself a difficult task, as long as you realise it is difficult and you are not going to succeed unless you make progress at a sufficient rate in the time available.
    The problem is when people set themselves a task, don't do the training to reach it, don't hit any of the checkpoints along the way, but still say "**** it, I'm committed now, I'll be okay on the day"

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

Im not interested in making any elitist comments or the like. Really only commenting here as im off the opinion based on my own personal experience that the debate is very one sided and would not like to think somebody would be put off from what could turn out to be a worthwhile life changing experience.

I signed up to my first 70.3 a year out, not confident at all if I would be able to complete it as I was extremely unfit etc. But I signed up and put in a good years hard work, I found out what I needed to be done, put a plan in place and did it, with the relevant health and safety etc. checkpoints throughout the year. I had a great day out and still remember the day I signed up. Call me what you want but yes I believe in the ‘Anything is possible’ dream. Maybe overcoming adversity is too much sometimes, but certainly to say ‘no way’ eleven months out is wrong, if it turns out that the swim or run or whatever is just too much to get to the start line or to finish on the day, the journey that far would be worthwhile and may open up new life experiences…. That’s all from me here.

Happy to take PMs on how best to approach swim with a bit of breaststroke if necessary or the long walk or whatever to get to the finish line

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Any sign of registration opening soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

has to be in major doubt again. Race director or no race director. My only basis for this fact is the slow updates and lack of entry option. If it looks like a duck etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

bopperr wrote: »
    has to be in major doubt again. Race director or no race director. My only basis for this fact is the slow updates and lack of entry option. If it looks like a duck etc...

I think the Race Director announcement, albeit unofficial, is significant.

Although I probably wont be doing this myself, unless the cost is overly excessive, I can't see a problem getting the numbers to race.

Huge organization required for this race though and probably many permits/ permissions to be finalized.

An announcement, however, could be made without all issues being finalized and should be made soon, otherwise the scepticism will grow!!

Podge83 wrote: »
    I think the Race Director announcement, albeit unofficial, is significant.

Although I probably wont be doing this myself, unless the cost is overly excessive, I can't see a problem getting the numbers to race.

Huge organization required for this race though and probably many permits/ permissions to be finalized.

An announcement, however, could be made without all issues being finalized and should be made soon, otherwise the scepticism will grow!!

And marshalls, I do wonder where they will be sourced from. Not a club race.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »

Loads of non club races get marshalls. A donation to a few local GAA clubs, Scouts etc.. and they have a couple of hundred teenagers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

The chance to be part of something amazing and a free t-shirt never will ensure marshals galore.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Loads of non club races get marshalls. A donation to a few local GAA clubs, Scouts etc.. and they have a couple of hundred teenagers out.

and the correlation between inexperienced marshalls and quality races.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

As someone who did an IM last year I'd volunteer to marshall at this (if I'm not doing it). Nice way to give something back. I'm sure there'll be plenty more like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

TBH I would gladly give back to a club race. I feel no obligation to give back to a wholly commercial event that I've paid top dollar for.

Interesting aside in the US courts at the moment about 'volunteers' at commercial events being entitled to minimum wage. *Must find link*

Shedite27 wrote: »
    As someone who did an IM last year I'd volunteer to marshall at this (if I'm not doing it). Nice way to give something back. I'm sure there'll be plenty more like me.

What are you giving back to???? Do you volunteer to sweep up in Starbucks? Or clean the jacks in MacDonalds?????
    AKW wrote: »
    TBH I would gladly give back to a club race. I feel no obligation to give back to a wholly commercial event that I've paid top dollar for.

Interesting aside in the US courts at the moment about 'volunteers' at commercial events being entitled to minimum wage. *Must find link*

WTC have a charitable arm and guess what, its not the case for a charitable organisation. Its grey area though and will be investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

What are you giving back to???? Do you volunteer to sweep up in Starbucks? Or clean the jacks in MacDonalds?????

WTC have a charitable arm and guess what, its not the case for a charitable organisation. Its grey area though and will be investigated.

Knew I was doing something wrong :rolleyes: I've a charitable arm but can get no volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

To the Ironman idea I guess.

Austrian volunteers helped me complete an Ironman last year, hopefully I can return the favour to someone else. Nothing about those big nasty ITU guys obviously. Call it Karma

Starbucks/McDonalds is irrelevant, they're professionals.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    To the Ironman idea I guess.

Austrian volunteers helped me complete an Ironman last year, hopefully I can return the favour to someone else. Nothing about those big nasty ITU guys obviously. Call it Karma

Starbucks/McDonalds is irrelevant, they're professionals.

To a corporation? You are paying back to a corporation. The volunteers in Austria do it for their own reasons. The MASSIVE influx of cash to their small town in the off season is why. It directly helps their friends/family/locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

To a corporation? You are paying back to a corporation. The volunteers in Austria do it for their own reasons. The MASSIVE influx of cash to their small town in the off season is why. It directly helps their friends/family/locality.

I'm glad you edited that post it was uncalled for.

If someone wants to volunteer their time for their own personal enjoyment which in turn improves anothers experience leave them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

apparently, due to open within the next 2 weeks - possibly Monday 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

Heard that race will open in a few weeks too. Course is likely to be, swim scotsmans bay, cycle out to west dublin / kildare and back to Phoenix Park with entire run in PP. Heard that cost will be inline with other 70.3 races so about the 250 mark.

• Advertisement

potsy11 wrote: »
    Heard that race will open in a few weeks too. Course is likely to be, swim scotsmans bay, cycle out to west dublin / kildare and back to Phoenix Park with entire run in PP. Heard that cost will be inline with other 70.3 races so about the 250 mark.

Wow. Compare that to what people expected the route to be....

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I can't see where the entry/exit points would be in scotsman bay.

The green area along there is a good spot for the bikes but the amount of rocks along that spot would be lethal for swimmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

griffin100 wrote: »
    My course speculation is based on conversations with senior Garda who have been involved in some of the early planning meetings. It may all change however as the local politician who was driving this is no longer around. It may also be complete bs on their part :D

Swim and T1 will be in Scotsmans Bay in Dun Laoighre. Competitors will be bused here from the City Ctr that morning if they cant make their own way. This may mean a slightly later than normal start for a HIM.

Bike will be out to Wicklow, not sure of route yet or if laps being considered. Return to Dublin city ctr will be via Clonskeagh Road but not sure of this is from the M50 or the N11.

T2 in City Ctr with run along the quays. Finish in Merrion Square.

I did see an alternate 'Northside' route proposed by some but I don't think the organisers are that keen on it at all.

I'm sure it'll all change a number of times before the actual day.

So they are going with the 'Northside' route after all :eek: The Guards I know were pushing the west dublin bike and PP run route but they didn't think they'd get anywhere with it.

griffin100 wrote: »
    So they are going with the 'Northside' route after all :eek: The Guards I know were pushing the west dublin bike and PP run route but they didn't think they'd get anywhere with it.

A west Dublin cycle.......
    It's not the Wicklow mountains

The PP. Far cry from a city centre run......

People still excited?

TBH - I would have loved a southside swim, with northside cycle (going towards North County Dublin) follwoed by a City Centre run. I didnt think that taking the cycle route in Wicklow would fair well for a 'Dublin 70.3'.

West Dublin route will be interesting (albeit with a few kms in Kildare) followed by the very familiar surroundings of the Phoenix Park. Not sure if it entirely floats my boat.

Interesting commetns about Scotsmans bay which i have zero experience with. Must say that being around tri the last 6-7 years I dont think I've ever heard it mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I'm actually more interested. Sure some people would prefer cycling in the mountains, but for a first attempt at this distance I'd much rather cycle around West Dublin & Kildare than having to drag my a$$ around Sally Gap.

Agreed on the run (if true). Bad enough the 10 miler, half marathon, a good chunk of DCM, Rock and Roll thingie all take place / go through / end in the Phoenix Park. A change would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

A west Dublin cycle.......
    It's not the Wicklow mountains

The PP. Far cry from a city centre run......

People still excited?

I would be quite disappointed if it is not a city centre run.
    But how do you get to West Dublin from Scotsman Bay without going over hills, surely any other way will have a far bigger impact on traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'm looking up tattoo artists as we speak...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A coastal cycle with a city centre run would be nice..and you'd get good support along the cycle too. Disrupt a lot of residents that way though I guess.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking coast road, Ringsend, up the quays, through the park and out you go to dublin west. T2 in the park.

Would it be a good idea to put the tattoo on my calf or my forehead. I gather that as it's an ironman event I will be able to tell everyone that I'm an ironman? Much like the women's mini marathon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement