Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

People saying the website issues earlier are a bad omen/sign need to realise , firstly IT people won't be organising the race and secondly the process is outsourced so it's not a sign of anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Tinder wrote: »
    It is now saying all general entries are SOLD OUT!

How the hell did that happen when the website was either throwing up errors or off-line all day. Is this an omen of how the race will be run I wonder, not a good start!

Are entries going to open again tomorrow at some stage does anyone know?

you forgot that last night you moved to london for a few month didnt you ....

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

miller82 wrote: »
    People saying the website issues earlier are a bad omen/sign need to realise , firstly IT people won't be organising the race and secondly the process is outsourced so it's not a sign of anything

Fair point but as a company arranging a large event, if you research a company to handle a portion of that event and outsource that section of that event to a completely inept one then that would be a reflection of your organizational skills.

It's a bit like the old line it's the HSE's fault not the health ministers fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Fair point but as a company arranging a large event, if you research a company to handle a portion of that event and outsource that section of that event to a completely inept one then that would be a reflection of your organizational skills.
    Totally different IMO.

Bit like saying Ticketmaster mad a balls of ticket sales for a gig, so the gig is also going to be useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Totally different IMO.

Bit like saying Ticketmaster mad a balls of ticket sales for a gig, so the gig is also going to be useless.

Exactly. I am sure that Ironman have not had issues with the provider in the past, they will no doubt look at the volume of interest today and look to change their SLAs with them.

People really are nit picking with this race eh?

"Oh no, the logo doesn't seem to be as nicely designed as some of the other races... surely a sign of what a shoddy mess it will all be"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

How the hell did that happen when the website was either throwing up errors or off-line all day. Is this an omen of how the race will be run I wonder, not a good start!
    They wouldn't have had much of a choice regarding entry system I'd think, I believe all the Ironman branded events use Active.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 johcondar

This is going to be a great race so lets stop any negative talk as it is going to showcase OUR SPORT in the CAPITAL CITY. Everyone should get behind it and support the event and show the 1200 or so people visiting from over seas and the 1400 ''locals'' how friendly Dublin & Ireland is. Either way this race is good for the sport in Ireland and I for one will be supporting it

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Anyone put their name down to volunteer?? Next best thing for me, looking forward to experiencing the buzz of an ironman branded event even if I can't take part... Getting myself in shape for a stab at 2016, surely with all the interest another will be run... Or even a 70.3 and full on the island in 2016...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

johcondar wrote: »
    This is going to be a great race so lets stop any negative talk as it is going to showcase OUR SPORT in the CAPITAL CITY. Everyone should get behind it and support the event and show the 1200 or so people visiting from over seas and the 1400 ''locals'' how friendly Dublin & Ireland is. Either way this race is good for the sport in Ireland and I for one will be supporting it

I don't think it is negative talk, I have done two Iron Man events in the past, and enjoyed them and gave them compliments where due, but when things aren't up to scratch you should be able to air your legitimate concerns, I would not call it needless negative talk!

I hope the 1,200 visitors don't have the same shoddy experience the 1,400 local people have had trying to register for the event, it would show Ireland in a bad light.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

BohToffee wrote: »
    Anyone put their name down to volunteer?? Next best thing for me, looking forward to experiencing the buzz of an ironman branded event even if I can't take part... Getting myself in shape for a stab at 2016, surely with all the interest another will be run... Or even a 70.3 and full on the island in 2016...

Decided not to enter as I got an error msg when registering and thought that the entire race would be a disaster because a third party administrator had unprecedented numbers trying to enter a race at one time.

I'll be putting my name forward for a role. Dont mind that its not paid etc. I am interested in seeing how this machine works, plus I like to volunteer.

I think the end game is to get a full distance race in Dublin in 2015 or 2016. Then and only then, will I come out of retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I hope the 1,200 visitors don't have the same shoddy experience the 1,400 local people have had trying to register for the event, it would show Ireland in a bad light.

What do you mean by 'don't have the same shoddy experience?'. Reg today wasn't limited to Irish entrants...it was limited to people who pre-registered who could have been from anywhere in the world.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What do you mean by 'don't have the same shoddy experience?'. Reg today wasn't limited to Irish entrants...it was limited to people who pre-registered who could have been from anywhere in the world.

The roi option was giving problems wasnt it?

a little fact for you. ALL and i mean all ironman races in the world are processed by the same provider ( an american company ).
    sometimes it does help to do a google search for 5 min before posting.
    So if you did an ironamn in recent years you would have entered through the same provider which back then you seemed to have liked...

I don't think it is negative talk, I have done two Iron Man events in the past, and enjoyed them and gave them compliments where due, but when things aren't up to scratch you should be able to air your legitimate concerns, I would not call it needless negative talk!

mloc123 wrote: »
    Peter, stick up a picture of you picking up your 50e when you get a chance.

unless you have an article where it says the race is sold out ( i know there is at least 1 slot available)
    i would think a race is not over before finish line .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

BohToffee wrote: »

Where do you register as a volunteer I'd be up for that I was going to take a spin on the bike and watch it anyway may aswell get a tshirt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

peter kern wrote: »
    unless you have an article where it says the race is sold out ( i know there is at least 1 slot available)
    i would think a race is not over before finish line .

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
    General entries have SOLD OUT! You can still get a place via our charity and travel partners however.

Taken from Ironman Dublin Facebook page updated 2 hours ago !!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Where do you register as a volunteer I'd be up for that I was going to take a spin on the bike and watch it anyway may aswell get a tshirt :D

On the official webpage theres a tab at the top says volunteer.. Full out a form and away with ya...

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
    General entries have SOLD OUT! You can still get a place via our charity and travel partners however.

Taken from Ironman Dublin Facebook page updated 2 hours ago !!

cheers
    ok that will do me.
    but knowing dave he will still try to enter on wednesday at 10 o1

• Registered Users Posts: 8 alan_b

Izoard wrote: »
    Yes - there was no option for Irish Resident at the start - I just registered as non-res, and e-mailed them to change it back, which they've done.

You'll have to temporarily modify (country) your Active.com profile to do this.

Hi, did the same, who exactly did you email? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

alan_b wrote: »
    Hi, did the same, who exactly did you email? Thanks.

uk@ironman.com

Quote your confirmation number and let them know you had no ROI option when booking opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 wuzie71

I know they say its sold out........but does anyone think they will open again with more slots at a later date or is there a reserve list you can get on.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

wuzie71 wrote: »
    I know they say its sold out........but does anyone think they will open again with more slots at a later date or is there a reserve list you can get on.....

No. It's sold out. You can get a charity entry or a nirvana europe entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wuzie71

No. It's sold out. You can get a charity entry or a nirvana europe entry.

thanks I had a quick look if you raise 2500 dollars you can do it for charity and its 300 euro on nirvana 250 was bad enough don't think ill pay that.................it'll have to be the shadow man then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Most IM's seem to have a few "Christmas specials" where they open 20 or so slots on a first come first served basis. Usually announced on their Facebook or Twitter page so maybe keep an eye out there over the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

thanks I had a quick look if you raise 2500 dollars you can do it for charity and its 300 euro on nirvana 250 was bad enough don't think ill pay that.................it'll have to be the shadow man then

That's €300 hundred for the entry PLUS at least 3 nights accomodation at one of their selected hotels!

Probably about the bones of a grand there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I was thinking €300 with Nirvana sounded to close to ticket price

Triangla wrote: »
    That's €300 hundred for the entry PLUS at least 3 nights accomodation at one of their selected hotels!

Probably about the bones of a grand there.
    When I used them it was £150 deposit to them for the entry code. You then entered and paid IM whatever the price was. The £150 was used against your accommodation with Nirvana, you could choose how much you spent, they didnt stipulate how many nights, or if you booked with them at all. Though they tend to block book the most convenient hotels, for instance they have booked out Whites in Bolton which is the race centre for IMUK.

They say they do not sell entry only, from their website:

Nirvana Europe has 100 race entry slots available for IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin 2015.
    In order to secure your race entry, we require a non-refundable deposit of £150/€190.00 per entry. This can be paid by credit card, debit card or by bank transfer (€ or £).

Within 10 days after paying your deposit, you will then receive a unique email invitation from IRONMAN, so that you can sign up and pay IRONMAN directly for the race. The cost of entry is €300.00 + a 6% active.com booking fee. In receiving your deposit, we 100% guarantee you a starting place in Dublin.

The £150/€190.00 deposit paid to Nirvana Europe, is then used as your first payment against an accommodation booking with us. This booking must be for 3 nights or more at one of our accommodation options which are all excellently located by the event sites. We unfortunately do not sell race entry only, and all race entries must be accompanied by a 3 night accommodation booking.

You can choose to book your accommodation now when securing your entry, or, pay the deposit only for now, and then arrange your accommodation at a later date.

To enter IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin 2015, and receive your unique entry invitation to this race, you can:

a) call our office 0191 257 1750
    b) send an email to ironman@nirvanaeurope.com with the following details:

^^^thats changed so. I did book accom with them, but I dont remember it being nailed down like that.

• Advertisement

A mate of mine who is prone to injury got an entry, I told him I bags it if he can't do the race.

I got a text off him this morning, his knee is f**ked and he has to go to the Dr.

I reckon that's my entry sorted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement