Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Link wrote:
    BREAKING NEWS: Wheelworx Official Bike Store IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin
    WHEELWORX announced as Official Bike Store and Official Bike Support providers of IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin, 2015
    WHEELWORX are proud to announce that they have been appointed the Official Bike Store of the inaugural IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin event on August 9th this year. As passionate cyclists, IRONMAN contestants, triathletes and distance runners we are here to support the dedication and commitment of athletes in the build up and on the race day itself.

Wheelworx Official Bike Store
    Wheelworx, Ireland’s best Tri and Bike Store will be providing support services on the day and in the lead up to the event. We are excited and delighted to be able to announce this partnership with IRONMAN 70.3.Wheelworx is the Offical Bike Store and Official Bike Support partner of IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin, 2015.
    Is that official then?

(I suppose when you write the word "official" that many times in a press release you were bound to spell it wrong at least once!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dracafae

So we're less than 6 months out from the race, and there is still no route confirmed? Or am I missing something? I'm coming to race from out of the country so I was hoping to be able to train on similar terrain to be prepared. Shall I practice wading through poisonous jellyfish and riding over potholes for now? hee-hee (seriously though, I'm getting a bit worried!)

Meanwhile, if you go to the Ironman site for the Dublin 70.3 course, and where it says "run", on the right side there's an interactive map and if you click on it, it shows a 3 lap route in Phoenix Park, but it shows it as being entirely flat. Is that accurate?

I just wanna be well prepared! (rather, as well prepared as possible, given the circumstances)

Yeah route is pretty flat, no climbs of note other than discreet inclines...some parts of that are quite exposed so on a windy day can be tough work. Otherwise, decent enough laps for a fast run.

edit: for anyone wondering
    http://www.runmap.net/en/route/2902523-dublin-703-run-course/

edit2: actually just noticed, run goes in opposite direction to where I assumed it would, wind on north rd will be behind you rather than in your face. Should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Dracafae wrote: »
    So we're less than 6 months out from the race, and there is still no route confirmed? Or am I missing something? I'm coming to race from out of the country so I was hoping to be able to train on similar terrain to be prepared. Shall I practice wading through poisonous jellyfish and riding over potholes for now? hee-hee (seriously though, I'm getting a bit worried!)

Meanwhile, if you go to the Ironman site for the Dublin 70.3 course, and where it says "run", on the right side there's an interactive map and if you click on it, it shows a 3 lap route in Phoenix Park, but it shows it as being entirely flat. Is that accurate?

I just wanna be well prepared! (rather, as well prepared as possible, given the circumstances)

Don't panic about the jellyfish. Swim will be in the Liffey. Bike will be 10 laps of the Phoenix park with an out and back section and a contra flow in operation for the 3 laps in run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Don't panic about the jellyfish. Swim will be in the Liffey. Bike will be 10 laps of the Phoenix park with an out and back section and a contra flow in operation for the 3 laps in run.

Serious or kidding?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Serious or kidding?? :confused:

Funny cause it might be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

So as expected an elongated version of Dublin City Triathlon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

€280 to enter the DCT double olympic. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Comedy pure on this thread as always .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

Missed the entry for this race
    Is it at all possible anyone is looking to sell there entry or is this not allowed for IM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Missed the entry for this race
    Is it at all possible anyone is looking to sell there entry or is this not allowed for IM.

Whether it's allowed or not you may get tons of offers once the route is confirmed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

AKW wrote: »
    Whether it's allowed or not you may get tons of offers once the route is confirmed ;)

What happened to the route that was posted when entry was opened and sold out.
    Swim dun laoghaire. T1 dun laoghaire
    Bike route out to cellbridge. T2 phoenix park and run same.

An alternative would be

Swim in the duck pond in the phoenix park.
    Ride around the round about on the main avenue 9000 times and then laps of the old duathlon course for the run.

(People are tongue in cheek commenting on the lack of clarity of the route and the potential for it to be changed again)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

That's still the route, disregard any comments about ponds, stationary bikes and treadmills ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

StaggerLee wrote: »
    That's still the route*

*[citation needed.]

No offical (sic) route posted unless I'm missing something.

i am doding a lot of spin classes in prep for my ironman dublin relay as iam concinved it will be spinning bikes we will race on in the phoenix park, with gareth brooks entertaining us singing anything is possible in Ireland...

more seriously all i know is that some people in the know, are training on the course that was outlined and apparatnly its quite fast and much better surface than people think ( apart from those silly speed bumps at the strawberry bed road ( which iam sure will be something many people will complain about if they are not removed)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Those speed bumps ruin what would be otherwise be a really lovely stretch of road!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The bike route itself isn't all that great to be honest. I cycled it a while back and it's grand once you're out of Dublin the route from T1 to the phoenix park is littered with speed bumps, pot holes and off camber bends. If it's raining on the day I'd say the potential for some nasty crashes is there.

The worst bends I noticed were the turn down onto the ferry road at Dunlaoighre seldom used and off camber. The turn at Merrion gated crossing the rail tracks. The turn at the point just over the bridge plenty of use so more than likely to be oil/diesel around also a rough enough surface. Then the one that I almost lost the front on the turn once you cross the bridge at heuston station and turn left there's a large smooth metal manhole that's slippery as fcuk.

These are just a few that spring to mind. Not to mention the speed bumps in the phoenix park and numerous craters in the road which I assume will be filled in.

No real climbing in it though a few drags but nothing major.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Those speed bumps ruin what would be otherwise be a really lovely stretch of road!

Yep...it's a nice enough cycle along there and surface is pretty good bumps ruin it. Sadly they're needed, I don't think it'd be safe to cycle along there without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

So what training plans are people looking at.. or started already?
    I'm looking for something simple enough. any links to the most popular tried & tested plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Did the Matt Fitzgerald Ironman plan last year and found it great. I'll be doing his half version this year (in 12 weeks).
    http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironman-70-3-triathlon-training-plan_12364

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

How much was it to enter this event ?

How much was it to enter this event ?

265 euro ( or 3 times the entry fee of tri an mhi ) and still there will be roughly 5 times as many doing dublin than tri an mhi.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

peter kern wrote: »
    265 euro ( or 3 times the entry fee of tri an mhi ) and still there will be roughly 5 times as many doing dublin than tri an mhi.

Do you need a tri license on top of that ? I'd expect you'd need to need some tri experience to tak part in the event.

Do you need a tri license on top of that ? I'd expect you'd need to need some tri experience to tak part in the event.

Yes a license would be required.

However zero experience is required. In fact most will be highly inexperienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

this is one i was looking at myself weather a licence is needed or not. Cant see any reference online to a TI licence being needed

You need a TI licence or a ODL to race any race in Ireland that is sanctioned.

AKW wrote: »
    You need a TI licence or a ODL to race any race in Ireland that is sanctioned.

Does raise an interesting question - normally the NGB sanctions the WTC races and their run under their rules. Not sure if TI are on board with this one. Which raises a whole host of questions.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Does raise an interesting question - normally the NGB sanctions the WTC races and their run under their rules. Not sure if TI are on board with this one. Which raises a whole host of questions.

Ok, I stand corrected. right :)

Could be interesting alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement