Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

tunney wrote: »
    I was jokingly referring to reclaiming the cost of the hotel if the event was cancelled.
    Ah. It wasnt in pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Isn't that part kinda shallow and full of huge stones? Never swam there so don't really know...

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    Isn't that part kinda shallow and full of huge stones? Never swam there so don't really know...

Looks like it's in on the beach in Sandycove harbour, straight across to the East pier and then cut across in front of the rocks you mention. There's a set of steps & rock free area at the seafront there (not far from Teddies ice cream) and I'd say we'll be getting out there.

High tide that day is about 8am so the flow should be fairly slack, we're in the water about then aren't we? I haven't checked. An hour earlier & there'll be little tide on the long leg, an hour after 8am and it'll be a swim straight into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

iAcesHigh wrote: »

would you not think that you test first before you comment ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

peter kern wrote: »

Don't be talking sense Peter!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

peter kern wrote: »

no because I went there and I still think that the part towards end is quite close to the stone part... Plus, is it really all that bad to ask for opinion here where some people have already swam there a hundred+ times?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Fcuk this half malarkey, its all about becoming part of the Challenge Family now.

Gives me mote time to train for the swim anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Fcuk this half malarkey, its all about becoming part of the Challenge Family now.

So pulling out of Dublin 70.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

In, registered and paid.

Feck the begrudgers.

money to burn so? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭standardtoaster

So are there many guys and girls on here that have done the bike route? Thoughts?

It looks pretty flat and quick...... Can see there being accidents at 78.5km mark as we come down onto barnhill cross road, helluva sharp left turn.

Really looking forward to this race around the city! Using Dublin as a pre-cursor to IM Wales (less looking forward to this!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

So are there many guys and girls on here that have done the bike route? Thoughts?

It looks pretty flat and quick...... Can see there being accidents at 78.5km mark as we come down onto barnhill cross road, helluva sharp left turn
    Hoping to do it this weekend, trying to learn it at the moment, there's an insane number of turns to remember. Hope to god they have it well signposted/marshaled
    on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It looks pretty flat and quick...... Can see there being accidents at 78.5km mark as we come down onto barnhill cross road, helluva sharp left turn.

Really looking forward to this race around the city! Using Dublin as a pre-cursor to IM Wales (less looking forward to this!!).

Cycled the route twice once in the wet and once dry. It was a different course each time. Very slippery off camber bends in the wet when going through the city and also in dunlaoighre. I almost dumped the bike on a manhole cover just over the bridge at heuston station when turning towards phoenix pk.

It was grand when dry seems to be flat and fast as you say.

Road/lane closures will be a nightmare for organisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Is there any chance of getting a late entry for this?

Had decided against it as my swim wasn't strong enough but have worked on that since and did a strong 1500m open water last weekend.

Not a member of a triathlon club (local club training times clash with work) but I see on Facebook clubs seem to be getting offered returned/cancelled entries. Is joining a club the best bet?

Edit: Apart from the €1500 charity entry, raising money for ROK at the moment so couldn't raise than much so soon after...

J o e wrote: »
    Is there any chance of getting a late entry for this?

Officially there's no chance unless you're willing to go for a charity entry €€€

I see on Facebook clubs seem to be getting offered returned/cancelled entries. Is joining a club the best bet?

I doubt they are to be honest. Transfers are not allowed so they may just be using a club mates entry.

so anyway I can report that tunny paid up his 50 euro fair and square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I doubt they are to be honest. Transfers are not allowed so they may just be using a club mates entry.

They seem to be getting spots, I'm seeing the likes of this;
    "We registered as part of the Tri Club Programme and have been given an access code to avail of entries that are on release as part of the programme for the UK and Ireland."

They seem to be getting spots, I'm seeing the likes of this;
    "We registered as part of the Tri Club Programme and have been given an access code to avail of entries that are on release as part of the programme for the UK and Ireland."

Are you sure they aren't transferring from another race?

Q: Can I a transfer my slot to another athlete?
    A: No it is not possible to transfer your slot to another athlete.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dublin/register/transfer-withdrawal.aspx#ixzz3dVSgEZBI

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

https://endurancecui.active.com/event-reg/select-race?e=11793753

f***ed if I know the password - although relay entry is not password protected

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jnk883

Try TCP for the password.

• Advertisement

jnk883 wrote: »
    Try TCP for the password.

yep that seems to work alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Did my first trial run of the most of the course today.

Some thoughts:
    1. It's a nice part of the world, not my usual destination for cycles (mountains south of Dublin), so nice for a change.
    2. Overall, road surface, scenery, profile are very similar to TriAthy course.
    3. The curse is very technical, lots of 90 degree turns, which will be fun to race on with closed roads.
    4. Prevailing SW wind we get in Dublin will be in our face for km's 10-50, which is the toughest part of the course IMO.
    5. In those 40k's you have to deal with:
      - False flat to Phoenix Park
      - Some hard sleeping policemen in the park
      - Dodgy road surface from m50 underpass to Dunboyne (Including some bizarre manhole covers at about 32k)
    6. Once you do the right hander at 50k, the worst is done, surface is lovely then for the rest of the course, apart from 20m or so coming into Kilcock and out of Lucan.
    7. There's currently a building site you go through at NUI Maynooth and coming into Lucan. Lots of loose stones on the road, hopefully they'll sweep them up.
    8. That hill down into Lucan (78k) is ridiculous, steepest part of the course, 100m or so very fast, which leads straight to a sharp right then 90 degree left. Dangerous part of the course, might as well have an ambulance stationed there, people will hit the wall.
    9. The climb at 86k will break people's hearts. Supporters should congregate there (Anglers Rest Pub)!
    10. Also, not part of the route I did today, but they currently have the route to go over the dart level crossing at merrion. What will they be able to do with that do ya reckon? Would be a pain if that holds you up for 4/5 minutes.

All in all, really looking forward to racing on the course, will be a very good test and on closed roads it'll reward skilled bike handlers. For anyone who can, I'd definitely recommend a trial run

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So there are still entries? In which case it didn't actually sell out and Peter needs to give Dave back his 50 squids?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

So there are still entries? In which case it didn't actually sell out and Peter needs to give Dave back his 50 squids?

Along with the additional €50 for losing the bet? So €100 for Dave?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

just registered using that password. The barca plan I'm following has a half on the exact day, so doing it for that reason only.

So there are still entries? In which case it didn't actually sell out and Peter needs to give Dave back his 50 squids?[/QUOT

i sense easy money to be made

would you like to bet 500 euro . you argue that i did not win the bet with dave according to our bet , and i say i did.

Ironman, i would guess, has a fair idea what the convertion rate of people registering and people and entering is and which races they need to promote.

I would bet 50 euro that dublin sells out in 1 day

I would also bet 20 euro that Pula will be one of the last 3 european races from the IM brand to sell out.
    I will take that bet Peter.

€50 that 24 hours and 1 minute after opening there are still slots. Agreed?
    So... has the pre entry officially sold out then? Who will be the official adjudicator between Peter and Tunney?
    If someone, located anywhere, can enter 24 hours after entry opens..............

There are still slots available..............

There are still slots available..............

ok you wanna bet anohter 50 euro accodring to our orginal bet ;-)

No. I will leave it up to your sense of morals and fairness.

I have a print screen that an irish person sent me of them entering at the weekend. That to me says that its not sold out, and entries are still open.

• Advertisement

Happy to declare the bet null and void. No winners no losers.

Open to a bet on whether the event actually happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement