Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I tried entering using that link and password on the previous page but no joy!

So it has finally sold out..... in July......

Tell ya what Fran, you enter CG and I'll ask the organisers can I do the swim leg with you dick and rick style.

Swim-triathlon.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Tell ya what Fran, you enter CG and I'll ask the organisers can I do the swim leg with you dick and rick style.

Swim-triathlon.jpg

:)
    I do recall you only came out of the water a minute ahead of me in Frankfurt 2014.

:)
    I do recall you only came out of the water a minute ahead of me in Frankfurt 2014.

you are right, the rope to the boat was too long in that race. shorter rope next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dracafae

Hello :)

So, according to the official site, if you click on the "interactive map" for the run, it shows it as completely flat with no elevation. But on the Facebook site, there's talk about hills on the run.

Could anyone familiar with the area please clarify for me? I've been doing all my long runs on flats to simulate the route and I certainly don't want any "surprises" on race day!
    Thanks so much :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Here's one for anyone doing this, train on the swim course
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1465958890367951/
    (Yes, you can do it any other day for free but.....)

Dracafae wrote: »
    Hello :)

So, according to the official site, if you click on the "interactive map" for the run, it shows it as completely flat with no elevation. But on the Facebook site, there's talk about hills on the run.

Could anyone familiar with the area please clarify for me? I've been doing all my long runs on flats to simulate the route and I certainly don't want any "surprises" on race day!
    Thanks so much :)

Its not a hilly course but nor is it pancake flat

234myd.png

Red is a slight uphill, nothing is flat, purple slight downhill.

It is however the most mindnumbing boring run route that man was ever devised.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

tunney wrote: »
    Its not a hilly course but nor is it pancake flat

234myd.png

Red is a slight uphill, nothing is flat, purple slight downhill.

It is however the most mindnumbing boring run route that man was ever devised.

Very boring and slightly confusing run route - Phoenix Park has much more to offer than that !

Very boring and slightly confusing run route - Phoenix Park has much more to offer than that !

Its effectively the old belpark duathlon course with a bit tagged on done three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dracafae

Thanks so much guys!! I'm irritated that the official site shows 0 elevation. I'm sure there are other people like me who relied on the official site to be accurate. Good to be able to ask you guys about it and I very much appreciate your information! :)

Any idea of total elevation for the run, or even elevation per lap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'm having to pinch myself.

Thanks so much guys!! I'm irritated that the official site shows 0 elevation. I'm sure there are other people like me who relied on the official site to be accurate. Good to be able to ask you guys about it and I very much appreciate your information! :)

Seriously, its basically flat. some slight uphills and downhills.

Its year one of the race. If you think that this will be the only mistake, and mistakes are going to annoy you this much, you will not have a fun time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did you try the Rotary entry? There was tri club entries and AWA entries last week also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Did you try the Rotary entry? There was tri club entries and AWA entries last week also.

Yes, tried the TCP password and it did not work under rotary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Here's one for anyone doing this, train on the swim course
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1465958890367951/
    (Yes, you can do it any other day for free but.....)

Not doing the race myself but thinking about organising a group to do the swim. Might be worthwhile for some. Reckon there is anything to watch for or better time to go out? Was worrying there might be boats coming in or out of the harbour which could be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

How many participants are expected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Over 2,500 according to a flier distributed by Ironman in Dun Laoghaire detailing rolling road closures in the area. It says vehicle access across the Liffey is not possible between 0700 and 1015 on the day, except via the M50.
    There is also a participants list on the website which tots up to about the same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Doeshedare wrote: »
    Over 2,500 according to a flier distributed by Ironman in Dun Laoghaire detailing rolling road closures in the area. It says vehicle access across the Liffey is not possible between 0700 and 1015 on the day, except via the M50.
    There is also a participants list on the website which tots up to about the same
    Could we read into that then that the first wave will be off at 7am?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

There is a schedule on the website, 6.50 according to it for the 1st and 8.00 for the last:

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dublin/athletes/schedule.aspx#axzz3f6PED3BI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

Not doing the race myself but thinking about organising a group to do the swim. Might be worthwhile for some. Reckon there is anything to watch for or better time to go out? Was worrying there might be boats coming in or out of the harbour which could be an issue?

Swim it on a mid to high incoming tide - watch out for crab pots / fishing nets, plenty of them in that bay - the only issue I see its that there are currently no markers to aim for aside of the pier ........... unlike seapoint where you have the line of buoys to swim ......

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cdelboy

Does anyone know if there will be anything done with all the ramps along the bike route? There are quite a few along the North Rd in the park and then more along the Lower Liffey Rd...some of them quite severe.

Will they attempt some sort of temporary measure to flatten them / decrease the severity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

cdelboy wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there will be anything done with all the ramps along the bike route? There are quite a few along the North Rd in the park and then more along the Lower Liffey Rd...some of them quite severe.

Will they attempt some sort of temporary measure to flatten them / decrease the severity?

No, they'll remain. No flattening or trimming :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 keithbrowne1

StaggerLee wrote: »
    No, they'll remain. No flattening or trimming :-)

Easily about 25 ramps along the strawberry beds

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

They're grand though..... not ideal but nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Seanie_H wrote: »
    They're grand though..... not ideal but nothing to worry about.

They'll be there for pros and AGers alike so no one will have an unfair advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

There were plenty of speed bumps in London at the WTS race and it was fine. I'm sure here it will be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Seems the split transition means a suitably tortuous hour or so, post-race, to gather your stuff.

Looks like they may be providing bus & bike transport from the park back to T1?

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    Seems the split transition means a suitably tortuous hour or so, post-race, to gather your stuff.

Looks like they may be providing bus & bike transport from the park back to T1?

In Frankfurt and other races they bring everything to T2. not here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement