Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

tunney wrote: »
    In Frankfurt and other races they bring everything to T2. not here?

Presuming they want you to park out in DL, they'll need to get you back there. The transport info, is confusing on whether the bike transport is available on the Sun...

"The venue for the Swim, Transition 1 and Bike start is roughly a 45 Minute drive from Transition 2 and finish line. We will be offering a shuttle bus and bike transport service for those who wish to utilise the service. There will be three scheduled bike transport and shuttle bus services (8am, 11am, 2pm) running on Saturday from Phoenix Park to Dún Laoghaire, this service will cost €10 with a free shuttle bus for athletes. There will be a corresponding spectator shuttle bus running on Saturday for a price of €4 for a return ticket. There will be free shuttle buses running on Sunday morning for all athletes from Dublin City and Phoenix Park to Dún Laoghaire. Spectator buses will also be running from the two locations but will only return to Phoenix park, tickets are €4 return. In order to accurately cater for the amount of athletes and spectators we will need to transport could you please take a moment of your time to complete a short survey about your transportation requirements over the weekend: https://ironmanforms.wufoo.eu/forms/dublin-transport/ (Please note this is not a final booking but an indication of requirements)"

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

So the bike shuttle is a tenner but free for athletes. Im confused. Who else but athletes is going to want it?

Oryx wrote: »
    So the bike shuttle is a tenner but free for athletes. Im confused. Who else but athletes is going to want it?

It only references the bus shuttle for the Sat - no mention of it for Sun...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I assume they'll transport all the T1 bags to the finish. Like every other Ironman with a split transition.

Response from the IM team. Best bet is to drive to the Park and get the shuttle to the swim start.

" there is limited parking at the start of the race we would recommend getting the shuttle bus from Phoenix Park to the start on race morning, buses will be running from 4am. Your blue and white bags will be transported to the park for collection so there will be no need for you to go back to the start area/ T1 following the race."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

For anyone unfamiliar with the area, there is bugger all parking at the swim start and nearby. There won't be a car park open nearby either but you'll find plenty of space in the Phoenix Park at 4am

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

For anyone unfamiliar with the area, there is bugger all parking at the swim start and nearby. There won't be a car park open nearby either but you'll find plenty of space in the Phoenix Park at 4am

One would assume that everything west of the run route is off limits.
    So there would be the zoo parking, and along the avenue.

Not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you're anyway local I'd park the car in the Park the night before if you're hoping to get a spot in there. I'd say it will be bedlem with spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

There's no mention of DART interruptions on the flyer that we got, but given that everyone will be going over the tracks at Merrion Gates, I presume they will be stopping the trains for a couple of hours. Does anyone know for sure?

There's talk of pedestrian (only) access to Booterstown DART station, but that's not going to be any use if the gates are up at the next level crossing for a couple of hours and there are no trains.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Just pulled this off the Phoenix Park visitors site

"Car parks are provided for visitors to the Park and are situated at the Papal Cross, the Lord's Walk and the Phoenix Park Visitor Centre. We request that visitors make use of these car parks and do not park on footpaths, bicycle lanes, double yellow lines or adjacent to junctions.

Car parks open at 10.00am. The car park on the Lord's Walk, next to Dublin Zoo, closes at 8.00 pm"

If that's the case then are you only left with pot luck on the avenue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hope they have security arranged for the car parks. Nice public announcement about 1000's of cars left for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

after speaking to a few swimmers who are familiar with the swim course and the surrounding shoreline I'm led to believe that jellyfish stings may be an issue on the day. anyone have any tips for remedies that might be a useful to have in the blue transition bag (tea tree oil etc). I don't want to have to resort to using urine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You'll be 98% covered in wet suit cap goggles but a small bottle of vinegar in t1 might be an idea as it will neutralise the sting but if they're severe enough they could blister this would be bad if around the ankle etc

I'm not sure if it would work but perhaps vaseline around your ankles/feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

What's the taper advice generally in the 2 weeks before? Keep the same routine but cut out the endurance sessions and moderate effort only?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Swam there yesterday and not a sign of a jellyfish. Water is a lot colder than usual for this time of the year though. No jellyfish but there was a curious seal following us around. Unless we get a few weeks of good weather not sure the water will warm up enough to get loads of jellyfish.

Steroo wrote: »
    What's the taper advice generally in the 2 weeks before? Keep the same routine but cut out the endurance sessions and moderate effort only?

Not quite, dial back the total distance/volume to 75% week one, 50%ish week two - but intensity is key - higher than race pace in all three disciplines

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

tunney wrote: »
    Not quite, dial back the total distance/volume to 75% week one, 50%ish week two - but intensity is key - higher than race pace in all three disciplines

Thanks for the advice but do you mean all sessions should be low vol/high intensity. So for example if last week my long low intensity run was 20k, this weekend I should do ~15k but at a little faster than my desired HM pace and then the next weekend maybe 10k? And for tempo or intervals just dial back volume?

As for jellies the water temp has been stuck on 14C all month which is not what they like. I was in the same swim as Joey yesterday and for a few hundred metres parallel to the East Pier my hands were feeling lots of small (pebble sized) rubbery somethings, hopefully they were'nt jellybabies.
    And in other news a seasoned Portmarnock swimmer reported being covered "...in jellyfish testicles..." at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

my hands were feeling lots of small (pebble sized) rubbery somethings, hopefully they were'nt jellybabies

Felt them too, wasn't sure what they were and didn't really want to look but had a look and they seemed to be more sea-weedy bits. That's what I'm telling myself anyway!!

Doeshedare wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice but do you mean all sessions should be low vol/high intensity. So for example if last week my long low intensity run was 20k, this weekend I should do ~15k but at a little faster than my desired HM pace and then the next weekend maybe 10k? And for tempo or intervals just dial back volume?

No not at all.

Just that some sessions should have intensity and not all done easy. Just get stale that way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I did the Top of the Mourne tri in Down on Saturday and the sea was freezing, but it didn't seem to bother the Jellyfish as it was like porridge for about 500 metres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Swam the route this morning no sign of Jelly Fish!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Doeshedare wrote: »
    And in other news a seasoned Portmarnock swimmer reported being covered "...in jellyfish testicles..." at the weekend.

What was he/she doing?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

What was he/she doing?! :eek:

He was in for a dip, he meant tentacles, just a freudian slip, though I hear Lions Mane stings can mess with your head

• Registered Users Posts: 15 keithbrowne1

I did the sea race In portmarnock on Sunday & didn't see or feel any but there was a few they got stung on the final stretch near the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

A Lion's Mane sting will mess with more than just your head. Very nasty buggers.

I'm not sure 14C is any great rule of thumb to go by - the sea was colder in Kilkee last month and there were quite a few reports of jellies in the bay, however prevailing conditions including less sunlight, wind, and a current, took them out of the bay and into deeper water 24 hours before HOTW. Have little doubt that a calm sunny day might have brought them back in again shortly after!

Best off praying for a dull dark day on August 9th ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 day walker101

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Let's just see if they can manage to pull off a 70.3 this year first. :D

hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hoping to go to Phoenix Park to catch the running part of the race, what time would they be coming to the park roughly?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Has any registered athletes received any race day information yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hoping to go to Phoenix Park to catch the running part of the race, what time would they be coming to the park roughly?
    First pro, I'm guessing will be running from 9:30 - 11:00am. Average Joe's from probably 10:30 - 2pm
    Has any registered athletes received any race day information yet?
    Nada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Shedite27 wrote: »
    First pro, I'm guessing will be running from 9:30 - 11:00am. Average Joe's from probably 10:30 - 2pm
    Nada

Speaking of pros. Who if any are the big names for this race.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement