Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Anyone considering IM 70.3 Turkey in October? I'm unsure what the safety situation is out there at the moment or what the field would be like but interested to hear opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

There's probably better races and places to go than Turkey at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    There's probably better races and places to go than Turkey at the minute.

I hear Ironman Mogadishu is a good course for a PB. It doesn't get the crowds that Ironman Damascus gets but you can't have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Steroo wrote: »
    I started Triathlon just for this event. I learned to swim from scratch. I got my first road bike & put in the miles. I got back running after 2 years off. When I cross the finish line I'll have done the hardest event for me to date, months & months of work. What happens after that I don't know. But I will have achieved something that most will not, I have new skills, I am fit & healthy. Whether or not the likes of me has heard of Pro racers or will go on to do great things is not important. I resent the snobbery that i find on threads like this.

If others try & fail - so what? they tried which is more than most. It's admirable in my book either way.

Hear, Hear and theres not much to encourage new entrants to remain in the sport if the experienced triathletes resent & ridicule the new guys so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

I smiled at what BTH wrote. It was obviously a comment on the large amount of HIM entrants who will be very unprepared for this race. If you've done the training, it doesn't refer to you. There's nothing but encouragement on this forum from people (and moderators) looking to help newbies. No need to look for reasons to be offended.

Can I have some thanks for my post too please? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I started Triathlon just for this event. I learned to swim from scratch. I got my first road bike & put in the miles. I got back running after 2 years off. When I cross the finish line I'll have done the hardest event for me to date, months & months of work. What happens after that I don't know. But I will have achieved something that most will not, I have new skills, I am fit & healthy. Whether or not the likes of me has heard of Pro racers or will go on to do great things is not important. I resent the snobbery that i find on threads like this.

If others try & fail - so what? they tried which is more than most. It's admirable in my book either way.

All the best with it!!

Was reading this thread today. Starting thinking about it on my run this evening and a few things pi55ed me off.

Everyone on this thread and everyone who competes in triathlons in this country and others had to do a first triathlon. Ironman 70.3 Dublin didn't attract me for various reasons but it's great that it has attracted some to have a shot!! Some might stay and do more, some mightn't and so what either way.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    I smiled at what BTH wrote. It was obviously a comment on the large amount of HIM entrants who will be very unprepared for this race. If you've done the training, it doesn't refer to you. There's nothing but encouragement on this forum from people (and moderators) looking to help newbies. No need to look for reasons to be offended.

Can I have some thanks for my post too please? :)

This. Tri is an inclusive sport, but noone likes to see people take on too much, too soon, have a horribly tough race, (with possible safety issues) and hate it ever after. I want people to stay in the sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Oryx wrote: »
    This. Tri is an inclusive sport, but noone likes to see people take on too much, too soon, have a horribly tough race, (with possible safety issues) and hate it ever after. I want people to stay in the sport!

I suppose that it's fair to say that a half might be too much for beginners. But look at the arrival of marathon running for the masses in the 80's - many trained for and ran a few marathons and some returned to a sedentary existence. Some suffered but they got over it. Others kept running and raced at other distances - that's how I got into running (and of course I had to do something to remove my barrel like extra layer). Before Marathon running arrived as a pastime there were many races organised by clubs but people didn't enter them (or train) as they felt (wrongly) that they couldn't. Maybe Ironman 70.3 Dublin is another example of this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Seanie_H wrote: »
    I hear Ironman Mogadishu is a good course for a PB. It doesn't get the crowds that Ironman Damascus gets but you can't have everything.

Well that's my question answered
    😳😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Hear, Hear and theres not much to encourage new entrants to remain in the sport if the experienced triathletes resent & ridicule the new guys so much.

no resenting. and no surprise that those who have been involved in clubs/organising races/training/building the sport for years aren't falling all over those who are only doing the race to check a box and won't be seen again, or just using it as a media tool.

i guarantee any of the people that race it and come back afterwards looking for advice on how to get better for next season will get nothing but support on here.the same as anyone who has shown a real interest in the sport here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Seanie_H wrote: »

The course is a few hundred kilometres from Siruc. You might as well avoid Frankfurt because it's close to the site of the Charlie Hebdo massacre. I've been in Turkey for the last week and a half and barring a protest in Istanbul a week ago that the police got heavy-handed with, the situation with the PKK and IS hasn't directly impacted us once.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Poc ar Buile

Just pulled this off the Phoenix Park visitors site

"Car parks are provided for visitors to the Park and are situated at the Papal Cross, the Lord's Walk and the Phoenix Park Visitor Centre. We request that visitors make use of these car parks and do not park on footpaths, bicycle lanes, double yellow lines or adjacent to junctions.

Car parks open at 10.00am. The car park on the Lord's Walk, next to Dublin Zoo, closes at 8.00 pm"

If that's the case then are you only left with pot luck on the avenue?

What are people's thoughts on parking at Papal Cross for registration on Saturday? Will it be manic? Similarly, will DL be manic if dropping the bike down after rather than using bike delivery and shuttle?

Best bet for Sunday would be park & ride I guess.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What are people's thoughts on parking at Papal Cross for registration on Saturday? Will it be manic? Similarly, will DL be manic if dropping the bike down after rather than using bike delivery and shuttle?

Best bet for Sunday would be park & ride I guess.

Thanks
    Can't imagine PP will be too bad, once your're prepared to walk, Papal Cross car park will likely be out of bounds.

My thinking at the moment is to leave the car in Phoenix Park Saturday evening, bus home (live close to start), then have the car and bike ready for me at 2pm Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Can't imagine PP will be too bad, once your're prepared to walk, Papal Cross car park will likely be out of bounds.

My thinking at the moment is to leave the car in Phoenix Park Saturday evening, bus home (live close to start), then have the car and bike ready for me at 2pm Sunday.

you think there will be enough space to park on Saturday evening since that was my first idea? Also, where would you park the park exactly?

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    you think there will be enough space to park on Saturday evening since that was my first idea? Also, where would you park the park exactly?
    Think I'll try to park in the car park of Phoenix Cricket Club (on Google Maps), that looks the closest to the finish line (we'll be thankful of that Sunday!).

Otherwise the car park marked Dynamo Dublin Football Club on Google Maps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The zoo car park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Plenty of parking outside the Garda HQ you should get a spot if your there early as it wont be full on a sat or sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 br3ak666

Windorah wrote: »
    Anyone considering IM 70.3 Turkey in October? I'm unsure what the safety situation is out there at the moment or what the field would be like but interested to hear opinions.
    Turkey is safety place as they have second biggest army after usa...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

br3ak666 wrote: »
    Turkey is safety place as they have second biggest army after usa...

Offer topic but no. Estimated to be 10th largest army.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

Can't seem to find a confirmed start time for this event, what time does the ironman start next Sunday?
    Thinking of volunteering for it but wouldn't be available too early on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Think the first wave is around 6am? Not certain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

ooter wrote: »
    Can't seem to find a confirmed start time for this event, what time does the ironman start next Sunday?

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dublin/athletes/schedule.aspx#axzz3hSOGx16r

It'll be an early start. Very early. Very, very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

Cheers lads, that's me ruled out anyway. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

tunney wrote: »
    The zoo car park

Please do not use the zoo car park, its called the zoo car park for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ooter wrote: »

You don't have to volunteer for T1 or race start I'm being stuck in T2 we've to meet at the papal cross at 8.30 I think it is till 17:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Everyone get their numbers ? 1 week to go 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Everyone get their numbers ? 1 week to go 😀

Number 97! Couldn't make it to the last Howth Aquathon. Trying to get good sleep this week and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

got it, 2222, easy to remember :) good luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Does anyone know what the road surfaces are like for the bike. If it's smooth and fast I normally go for higher tyre pressures but if it's that heavy "tar and chips" surface I think a little lower on the pressures works best.

• Advertisement

20rothmans wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the road surfaces are like for the bike. If it's smooth and fast I normally go for higher tyre pressures but if it's that heavy "tar and chips" surface I think a little lower on the pressures works best.
    Definitely closer to "tar and chips" than "smooth".

I was out on the route Saturday actually, the roadworks through NUI Maynooth have got worse, hope they get to clean that up by Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement