Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Definitely closer to "tar and chips" than "smooth".

I was out on the route Saturday actually, the roadworks through NUI Maynooth have got worse, hope they get to clean that up by Sunday.

I'd actually say the opposite! Lots of lovely tarmac surfaces. Road from kilcock to strawberry beds is lovely. Besides the bumps. 😠

Roadworks at NUI are desperate though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's a bit of mixed bag I wouldn't say any of it is silky smooth it's mostly a patch work quilt.

Are you talking tubs pressure or clincher pressure.

If it's any help I've cycled the route twice on clinchers gp4000s2 with about 115 psi and no issues on either spin and I was cycling on open roads so usually in the worst conditions at the side of the road. The roads being closed will probably make it easier to avoid the worst of the patches pot holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Over inflating tyres when the road surface means you won't notice as much doesn't change the fact that they are over inflated. Minimising crr is more about rider weight balancing with the psi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I would not worry about minor details when, according to tunny the race dosnt happen.

peter kern wrote: »
    I would not worry about minor details when, according to tunny the race dosnt happen.

I'd like to wish all the people who entered the race in the last two-three months the best of luck. Please +1 if you entered in that time frame.

(not a dig at late entries just pointing out it didn't sell out in the first week.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Pepsi is an option at the Stations ? Pepsi! WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Steroo wrote: »

Perfectly normal.

Packed full of quick acting calories for a point in the race where most people can't stomach anything other than fluids.

You'll be glad of it and it is the choice of the new generation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

That's aimed at the people who will be walking at that stage. Ironman Austria has pizzas at aid stations after dark!

spot the novice! But I don't think I'll be taking them up on the Pepsi. PIzza... I could be tempted ;)
    Jeebus I hope to survive on plain old water.

On the bike - if I take two bottles of water with me... should I be still making use of the drinks at the stations? Or should I leave a cage free & take one on board half way?

I still can't figure out if I'll want food... is it best to eat early on the bike so it doesn't upset the run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 day walker101

spot the novice! But I don't think I'll be taking them up on the Pepsi. PIzza... I could be tempted ;)

On the bike - if I take two bottles of water with me... should I be still making use of the drinks at the stations? Or should I leave a cage free & take one on board half way?

I still can't figure out if I'll want food... is it best to eat early on the bike so it doesn't upset the run?

Different strokes for different folks, I tend to not take anything on for about 20 minutes into the bike, settle down and then get my nutrition in. I carry one bottle of water and one bottle of fuel (gel water mix) this is all I need for HIM, if I do need more I discard one of my empties and take a new bottle from aid stations (this is why I dont use expensive water bottles). Finish eating/ fueling on the bike about 20mins before I dismount also and all fueling should be complete for run. Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I do most of my eating in the first part of bike but finish it off till the end of bike part...

As to Pepsi, I don't understand what's the issue - simple sugars are something that most triathletes use during the run part of longer races. My coach suggested using Pepsi/Coke (or whatever of that kind) after 10 km of Half and 21 km of full Ironman races...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Were numbers issued by email or by post? Thanks - nothing on my end yet so want to make sure I am good to register, all I have is my order confirmation - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

I got my number by email on the 1st of August.
    did you check your spam?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Ironman Austria has pizzas at aid stations after dark!

That's me in so. I couldn't think of a better reason to sign up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Apart from the obvious advice of do what you did in training, I don't understand why so many people only drink straight water when racing. It is the perfect opportunity to get some carbs on board in an easy manner that won't upset your stomach.

Something like the High5 4:1 or 2:1 in your water bottles will give you something like 200cal per bottle.

The bike is your only opportunity to eat food as once running you will only manage gels really. Get it on board early rather than later.

Just to note the pepsi is generally flat so you are not getting a fizzed up tummy. Try it, it is like manna from heaven at that stage of the race :D

AKW wrote: »
    Apart from the obvious advice of do what you did in training, I don't understand why so many people only drink straight water when racing. It is the perfect opportunity to get some carbs on board in an easy manner that won't upset your stomach.

Something like the High5 4:1 or 2:1 in your water bottles will give you something like 200cal per bottle.

The bike is your only opportunity to eat food as once running you will only manage gels really. Get it on board early rather than later.

Just to note the pepsi is generally flat so you are not getting a fizzed up tummy. Try it, it is like manna from heaven at that stage of the race :D

A mate did an Ironman recently and he had little boiled potatoes on the bike. He passed another lad at one of the feed stations and he was eating a pie of some description.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

reidman wrote: »
    Were numbers issued by email or by post? Thanks - nothing on my end yet so want to make sure I am good to register, all I have is my order confirmation - thanks

I got mine via email end of last week - did you check the start list on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Nothing in spam thanks other than countless women looking to hook up and foreign dictators looking to transfer me millions of dollars, I am listed on the start list so should be fine with my entry confirmation number - no harm to check these things - and best of luck to everyone on the day

I haven't received mine either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Runner Mojo

What time does it start? We want to go and support but can't find any info on when it starts so we can figure out where to go and when?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

What time does it start? We want to go and support but can't find any info on when it starts so we can figure out where to go and when?

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dublin/athletes/schedule.aspx#axzz3hpiqXB00

Race starts @ 6:50am in Dun Laoghaire/Sandycove. If that's too early, it might be best to set up camp in the Phoenix Park near the Papal Cross, that'll be T2 and you should see us coming in off the bike and around the run route 3 times from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Runner Mojo

Race starts @ 6:50am in Dun Laoghaire/Sandycove. If that's too early, it might be best to set up camp in the Phoenix Park near the Papal Cross, that'll be T2 and you should see us coming in off the bike and around the run route 3 times from there.

Thanks...

Not sure what time we can make it cos if daughter's previous arrangements. What time do you think would be the latest we could get to the Phoenix Park to see the run at?

Seriously? No calories taken in?

tunney wrote: »
    Seriously? No calories taken in?

I would eat a Banana usually. And some brownbread with peanut butter. I just hadn't thought about it yet really.

My mate just gave me a Energy Bag for the bike so I'll use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Anyone know if there is a live athlete tracker for this race?

Just so my supporters know where I am.

Yes there'll be an athlete tracker.

I plan on eating after bout 20mns on the bike (let the body settle down after the swim. The first feed spot is at 26k, so will take my first few bites and bottle with me, have them done by 26k feedzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Not sure what time we can make it cos if daughter's previous arrangements. What time do you think would be the latest we could get to the Phoenix Park to see the run at?

You can use that schedule as a rough guide. If you want to see the pros, you'll need to be in the park early (they set off at 6:50am in the swim, so you'd want to be in the park by 9am to be sure to see them do them set off on their run). If, however, you want to cheer on us ordinary AGers then the schedule says last runner is expected in by 2pm. All support would be welcome! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Spot the party pooper... but honestly you should have had this figured out ages ago. Take two bottles, one of which you dont mind binning if necessary. If you havent been eating on the bike up to now, then its going to be an experiment on the day, and thats never good. Eat stuff youre used to, dont go mad if youre not used to eating on the bike, but it is what fuels your run. Have you a plan for food/gels on the run?

Oryx wrote: »
    Spot the party pooper... but honestly you should have had this figured out ages ago. Take two bottles, one of which you dont mind binning if necessary. If you havent been eating on the bike up to now, then its going to be an experiment on the day, and thats never good. Eat stuff youre used to, dont go mad if youre not used to eating on the bike, but it is what fuels your run. Have you a plan for food/gels on the run?

I plan on taking the gels at the stations on the run yea. I see the bike stations have bars & bananas so I'll go with that & have some on board with me also if I miss the grab at the stations.

I have a gel belt at home from my running days - good idea to wear this with a few gels?

• Advertisement

I have a gel belt at home from my running days - good idea to wear this with a few gels?
    On the run? There's a aid station about every 2km, even if you miss one you'll never be too far from a feed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement