Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Shedite27 wrote: »
    On the run? There's a aid station about every 2km, even if you miss one you'll never be too far from a feed.

Usually powerbar gels... make sure you can take em. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Steroo wrote: »
    spot the novice! But I don't think I'll be taking them up on the Pepsi. PIzza... I could be tempted ;)
    Jeebus I hope to survive on plain old water.

On the bike - if I take two bottles of water with me... should I be still making use of the drinks at the stations? Or should I leave a cage free & take one on board half way?

I still can't figure out if I'll want food... is it best to eat early on the bike so it doesn't upset the run?

Just my 2c, but you're going to want to take on some calories on the bike. Some people might have trained their bodies to burn fat very efficiently and they could hold off until the run before consuming sugars. I wouldn't attempt it though and no offence intended, but it doesn't sound like you should either.

You don't necessarily need to eating solids on the bike, but you do need to be consuming calories. I find it hard to chew on bars and I only use gels in races. Stuff them in the pockets of your Tri suit, tape them to your bike, or use a food pouch. I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but don't use the fuel belt you used when running.

There's no need to leave one cage empty and you certainly should be getting drinks at the aid stations. That's what they are there for. You can dump your old bottles near the aid stations, so don't be worried about littering.

With aid stations every 2km on the run, there is no need to carry gels. And Pepsi on the run is a great thing. It's loaded with caffeine and sugar and you might be surprised how much you crave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

zico10 wrote: »
    Just my 2c, but you're going to want to take on some calories on the bike. Some people might have trained their bodies to burn fat very efficiently and they could hold off until the run before consuming sugars. I wouldn't attempt it though and no offence intended, but it doesn't sound like you should either.

You don't necessarily need to eating solids on the bike, but you do need to be consuming calories. I find it hard to chew on bars and I only use gels in races. Stuff them in the pockets of your Tri suit, tape them to your bike, or use a food pouch. I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but don't use the fuel belt you used when running.

There's no need to leave one cage empty and you certainly should be getting drinks at the aid stations. That's what they are there for. You can dump your old bottles near the aid stations, so don't be worried about littering.

With aid stations every 2km on the run, there is no need to carry gels. And Pepsi on the run is a great thing. It's loaded with caffeine and sugar and you might be surprised how much you crave it.

Thanks for all the advice. I've a plan of action now. Plenty of fuel. With Pepsi i didn't realise it was only the run stations - makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thanks for all the advice. I've a plan of action now. Plenty of fuel. With Pepsi i didn't realise it was only the run stations - makes sense.

Given you are one of the "prepared ones" the DNF rate will be huge.

You'll be fine. You've trained. Just work on the nutrition plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

tunney wrote: »

You'll be fine. You've trained. Just work on the nutrition plan

Sound. will do.

Advice on eating before the swim considering the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd imagine the DNS list will be quite sizeable aswell

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thinking of heading down to watch this. Any idea what time the lads will be transitioning on to their bikes? Also where will this happen?

Sound. will do.

Advice on eating before the swim considering the time?

Personal. Depends on you and your experience in racing. Failing experience 2.5 hours out have a normal breakfast and 15 minutes out a gel.

Solids as part of your plan aren't a good idea.

If youre used to bananas one a while before the swim might be ok. (With normal breakfast earlier when you get up)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I bought & tried some of the Powerbar gels they're giving out and didn't like them, felt they were too gloopy, even when taken with water, compared to what I was used to, so will bring my own.

Flat cola is good too, a quick sugar hit which should be welcome after 4 or more hours of exercise. I had it for the first time during a race on holidays, I don't now if it was the heat or the sugar but drinking it was just lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

It's a bit late to be trying new things but I find isogels are easier to stomach than powerbar gels with the added bonus that you can decant 8-10 of them into a bottle and keep it on the bike (in an IM/HIM I take a big swig every 20 mins or so). Hi5 isogels are quite easy to stomach but avoid the orange ones!! Be careful though, taking gels when you're not used to them could lead to excessive use of the portaloos on the run.

griffin100 wrote: »
    It's a bit late to be trying new things but I find isogels are easier to stomach than powerbar gels with the added bonus that you can decant 8-10 of them into a bottle and keep it on the bike (in an IM/HIM I take a big swig every 20 mins or so). Hi5 isogels are quite easy to stomach but avoid the orange ones!! Be careful though, taking gels when you're not used to them could lead to excessive use of the portaloos on the run.

Not relevant here as the calorie requirements in a half not as great but the high 5 hels only hit a single enzyme pathway on the gut where add the power bar two so can absorb more. Also and the gels in one bottle....a bottle that can bounce off the bike......

griffin100 wrote: »
    It's a bit late to be trying new things but I find isogels are easier to stomach than powerbar gels with the added bonus that you can decant 8-10 of them into a bottle and keep it on the bike (in an invoice/HIM I take a big swig every 20 mins or so). Hi5 isogels are quite easy to stomach but avoid the orange ones!! Be careful though, taking gels when you're not used to them could lead to excessive use of the portaloos on the run.

Also the gels don't cause the trips to the toilet. Too many calories that cannot be absorbed usually do.

Also the gels don't cause the trips to the toilet. Too many calories that cannot be absorbed usually do.

Unless you're like me and they're caffeine gels. I REALLY dont handle them well. :) It pays to be cautious with anything new. And while its not as critical as a full, for anyones first half IM, fuel is going to matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Poc ar Buile

Yes there'll be an athlete tracker.

Any more info on the tracker? Is there a link or will it just be activated on the day?

So...any weather predictions?! Not looking too bad on yr.no but that seems to have been a little off lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

quite right but this is part of our culture to blame everything but ourselfves .
    and more over going to fast means you cant absorb as much.
    ie its pacing thats casuing many nutriton issues. not the wrong gel that gets the blame ALL the time ( sometimes it does but more than often not)
    also rather than spending 30 min in transiton slow down a bit when eating ( at least on the bike you are still moving forward)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

btw livetracker
    ironmanlive.com ( firefox can be a bit moody with the athelte tracker)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Any more info on the tracker? Is there a link or will it just be activated on the day?
    There'll be a link here on Friday/Saturday...
    http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭batmanzed

Does anybody know how child friendly things are likely to be. Will there be anything to help mammy keep a 5 year old occupied around the finish line or village?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Best of luck to everyone on Sunday. Hope the weather gods are good.

Just heard online that that 52% of the total entry are completing the distance for the first time - which must be a record for the IM races!

Plenty of negative comments on this around - but if you have done the training and put in the work well done - race you own race and enjoy the experience :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

batmanzed wrote: »
    Does anybody know how child friendly things are likely to be. Will there be anything to help mammy keep a 5 year old occupied around the finish line or village?

People falling off their bikes outside the Anglers Rest?

Failing that there is a play ground and coffee shop in Ashtown Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

A couple of people you may have seen at 6:50am on Sunday on Channel 4 coming to cover next month's mortgage payment. And a man called Gilian
    http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=2414

PRO WOMEN
    Bartlett, Nikki
    Bilham, Emma
    Carritt, Joanna
    Cheetham, Susie
    Deckers, Tine
    Gossage, Lucy
    Sanjana, Frankie
    Tajsich, Sonja
    Vesterby, Michelle
    Warriner, Samantha

PRO MEN
    Brierley, Simon
    Cartmell, Fraser
    Chevrot, Denis
    Everett, Kevin
    Jouffret, Sebastien
    Oriet, Gilian
    Riess, Vincent
    Schilling, Alexander
    Simon, Oliver
    Springall, Harry
    Thompson, Stephen
    Thomschke, Markus
    Thornton, Kevin
    Wade, Robbie
    Wittig, Devin

Not a bad list of pros
    http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=2414

PRO WOMEN
    Bartlett, Nikki
    Bilham, Emma
    Carritt, Joanna
    Cheetham, Susie
    Deckers, Tine
    Gossage, Lucy
    Sanjana, Frankie
    Tajsich, Sonja
    Vesterby, Michelle
    Warriner, Samantha

PRO MEN
    Brierley, Simon
    Cartmell, Fraser
    Chevrot, Denis
    Everett, Kevin
    Jouffret, Sebastien
    Oriet, Gilian
    Riess, Vincent
    Schilling, Alexander
    Simon, Oliver
    Springall, Harry
    Thompson, Stephen
    Thomschke, Markus
    Thornton, Kevin
    Wade, Robbie
    Wittig, Devin

Third tier. Being nice.

Third tier. Being nice.

Its Dublin. Its first year. Thats an ok list. The Goss will win the womens.

Third tier. Being nice.
    I was waiting for it

I was waiting for it

So why pretend it's anything other what it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I was waiting for it

I have to agree with Tunney, bar a few names (Lucy being one) the rest may race at pro level but are not decent pros.

So why pretend it's anything other what it is?
    Nobody's pretending it's a Kona lineup, but I was expecting a few on here to come out and bash it regardless. Doesn't really add much to the thread does it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

cartmell for the mens at a guess, decent showing at IM UK.

jb and tunney right though, it's not exactly the top tier is it? quite a few cold weather warriors though, guys that seem to enjoy the more blustery/cooler race

still though year 1 .

• Advertisement

Nobody's pretending it's a Kona lineup, but I was expecting a few on here to come out and bash it regardless. Doesn't really add much to the thread does it?

Nor does saying "wow the pro line up". When you know it's sh1t.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement