Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tunney wrote: »
    Nor does saying "wow the pro line up". When you know it's sh1t.

Perhaps the real pros are waiting on confirmation of the race actually going ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

A couple of people you may have seen at 6:50am on Sunday on Channel 4 coming to cover next month's mortgage payment. And a man called Gilian
    http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=2414[/

Better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mossym wrote: »
    cartmell for the mens at a guess, decent showing at IM UK.

jb and tunney right though, it's not exactly the top tier is it? quite a few cold weather warriors though, guys that seem to enjoy the more blustery/cooler race

still though year 1 .

Cartmell beaten by KT in Athlone.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Nobody's pretending it's a Kona lineup, but I was expecting a few on here to come out and bash it regardless. Doesn't really add much to the thread does it?

Ah sure if we can bate the sh1te out of our own National Series surely there can be a bit of craic with this foreign crowd coming in blocking up the roads on Sunday, sure don't we all have mass to get to in the Pro? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

AKW wrote: »
    Cartmell beaten by KT in Athlone.

had forgotten that. be great to see Kev win it, but will stick with my prediction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

How's the weather looking for Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

'Moderate' Winds from SW, dry, cloudy. A few days ago it was going to be crap, then it was to be lovely, now in between. Truth is the Atlantic is ruling the weather this summer and that makes it very hard to predict what will be happening in a 6 hour window on Sunday.

I swam in Scotsmans Bay on Tuesday morning, tide was lower than it will be on Sunday and the wind was stronger than that predicted. Water temp still 14ish, no jellies reported by any of us.
    High Water on the day is close to 8am which means the flow will be pretty slack but it starts out about an hour before HW. So there might be a slight push from the left on the long leg. Also the 1st couple of 100m's were fairly calm but then the water started rolling a bit more, nothing too severe (compared to some of the Howth events this year). Sighting on that long leg is tricky too though especially if the course diagram is accurate, so I hope the buoy is big and bright or the bloke I draft off knows where he is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

My favorite and most reliable weather service says:
    29gjr0j.png

I use Yr too (in fact I look at windguru, windyty, Met E and YR until I find a forecast I like). I looked at it about an hour ago and that rain for 0.00-12.00 wasnt there, b*stards

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fidun

Does anyone know if you want to take the shuttle bus from Garda boat club out to Dun Laoghaire do you have to book this in advance or do you just turn up and hope to get a place on the bus?

• Advertisement

Book it at registration according to the race brief. But then when I got my number there was a booking form with the same email. I booked-€4 for some piece of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    Third tier. Being nice.

since when is a top 8 and 10 in hawaii third tier ?

its a decent female field

and yes prob the weakest 70,3 male field ever seen in a europe 70.3

tomschke a very safe bet for first into t2

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Doeshedare wrote: »
    Book it at registration according to the race brief. But then when I got my number there was a booking form with the same email. I booked-€4 for some piece of mind

The e-mail I just got a few minutes ago is saying that the Shuttle bus on race day is free.

It is the bus out to T1 on the Saturday that is €4 or €14 for bike and Athlete.

Getting out to T1 and Start on Sunday morning is free.

Or am I reading it completely wrong?

Wackoy2k wrote: »

Or am I reading it completely wrong?

I just got that mail too, my reading of it is the same as yours and I have therefore wasted €4 (or €2?4 according to many).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 day walker101

Just saw the merchandise (hadn't planned on getting any either way) shamrocks, shamrocks everywhere!

Just saw the merchandise (hadn't planned on getting any either way) shamrocks, shamrocks everywhere!

I was thinking it looked pretty dreadful and cheap print alright. Is the Ironman stuff usually not half decent and a bit more colourful the colours they chose would depress you.

On the upside weather looks good for ye on Sunday with a few showers to cool ye down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

On the quality of gear - I saw quite a few people returning their backpacks last year at Ironman Copenhagen. The zippers kept breaking on them and they were getting replacement ones.

You'd imagine with the price of entry you'd get some use able item. I'm guessing it was one of this cheap plastick feel bags that are probably shipped in from Asia at 50c each.

pgibbo wrote: »
    On the quality of gear - I saw quite a few people returning their backpacks last year at Ironman Copenhagen. The zippers kept breaking on them and they were getting replacement ones.

Friends went day after Lanza this year.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    ..the Ironman stuff usually not half decent ..

The bags we got for Galway 70.3 in 2011 were great, still in use today. They went to a drawstring type for 2012 which is still fine, not as handy though.

• Advertisement

Just home from registration there - bag still working I'm happy to report. It's not a transition bag like I got at a previous IM, just a bag you'd take swimming or something.

Plenty to buy at the expo, lots to keep everyone happy (leave the credit card at home!). Quite good Powerboat deals too, cheaper than Dublin if anyone needs to stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

bag I got at Ironman France is great APART for zipper which is in reaaally bad shape :) Anything good in that village, I need a pair of decent glasses for bike (prices ok?)?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Just home from registration there - bag still working I'm happy to report. It's not a transition bag like I got at a previous IM, just a bag you'd take swimming or something.

Plenty to buy at the expo, lots to keep everyone happy (leave the credit card at home!). Quite good Powerboat deals too, cheaper than Dublin if anyone needs to stock up.

Hows the atmosphere, am going to nip in from work on lunch tomorrow.

Well the Expo has everything you'd want, plenty of Ironman branded stuff, both Dublin specific and generic stuff, then there's a few stalls for high-end gear. The Poerbar stall as I said has some good deals. Wheelworkx stall is probably the best spot. Everything you'd need for a Ironman, picked myself up a CO2 cartridge and inflator. There's a few cycling tops, trusts, fleeces, running shorts etc in their bargain raise that looked good value.

Not sure I'd really describe it as an atmosphere, it's like a busy shop basically.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

pgibbo wrote: »

Lots of complaints about IMUK bags too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

The very best of luck to everyone on Sunday!!! Enjoy your race, especially you first timers. Pace smart, eat, drink, and smile!!!! Whoop whoop!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

What happens at the bike food stations ? People hand things to you while passing? Does anyone stop and have a drink/eat for a minute ?

I fully respect the 'no littering' rules but what to do with the wrappers/banana skins/gels when in between stations ? My Tri suit pockets are v small

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Steroo wrote: »
    What happens at the bike food stations ? People hand things to you while passing? Does anyone stop and have a drink/eat for a minute ?

I fully respect the 'no littering' rules but what to do with the wrappers/banana skins/gels when in between stations ? My Tri suit pockets are v small

Stick wrappers etc. up the legs of your shorts and dispose at next station or transition. Doesn't work too good for banana skins though. You can stop and bury the banana skins - they are biodegradable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Steroo wrote: »

In Belfast I stuffed my empty gel wrapper down my trisuit.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There are usually bins just after feed stations you can sling the banana skins towards (extra points if you get it in :) ) They will be halved anyway so you eat them and ditch the skin fast.

Do you have a tri bag on your bike? Its a good place to stow food and wrappers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement