Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck folks...I'll be supporting in the pheno so should catch the first spin round that way on the bikes and the run.

Have fun, hope the weather holds out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Go to bed mofo's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Do the swim times seem slow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Ceepo wrote: »

They do but the water looks ok. Wonder where are the T1 entry mats are?? its a big transition!

• Advertisement

Yeah I've just put that on twitter, the seem very slow...conditions look good from the pictures...though looks can be deceiving with a sea swim...course could be long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Yeah I've just put that on twitter, the seem very slow...conditions look good from the pictures...though looks can be deceiving with a sea swim...course could be long.

What are the t1 times like? High swims could be including T1 runs?

tunney wrote: »

Fastest male pro 28 mins (Kevin Thornton just over 28) most pros over 30 mins

edit: Fazz with a 39 minute swim so defo something going on there with either long or T1 mat being well out of the water. Pro T1 times all around 3 minutes that I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Ceepo

tunney wrote: »

I know it would depent on the position of the timing mat.
    KT swim time 28.02. T1 2.34. A few more that I checked seemed 4/5 min's slower than I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

One of my guys mentioned to his missus that he clocked it at 2.3 coming out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Top 10 Men Swim Exit:

1 3 Cartmell, Fraser (GBR) PRO +00:00 00:28:01
    2 14 Thornton, Kevin (IRL) PRO +00:02 00:28:03
    3 2 Chevrot, Denis (FRA) PRO +00:04 00:28:05
    4 130 Standidge, Chris (GBR) 35 +00:40 00:28:41
    5 390 Rosales, Andres (USA) 35 +01:17 00:29:18
    6 595 Waters, Mark (IRL) 40 +01:34 00:29:35
    7 448 Tierney, Patrick (IRL) 35 +02:03 00:30:04
    8 587 O'Doherty, Paul (IRL) 40 +02:24 00:30:25
    9 9 Riess, Vincent (AUT) PRO +02:36 00:30:37
    10 11 Simon, Oliver (GBR) PRO +02:46 00:30:47

Great going from number 595 ex of this parish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Round of applause Steroo. Swim in 45mins. Not too shabby for someone who couldn't make the end of the bath last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Round of applause Steroo. Swim in 45mins. Not too shabby for someone who couldn't make the end of the bath last year

What number is he?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    What number is he?

He wasn't hard to find, his boards name doesn't disguise his real name well!

He wasn't hard to find, his boards name doesn't disguise his real name well!

haha I figured that shortly after posting :)

How strict are they on the cut off times if it was measuring long I'd imagine there will be a lot of DNFs I've seen a few over the 01:10:00

Honestly no idea but boards may explode if people coming in over the cut off get a pass

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    haha I figured that shortly after posting :)

How strict are they on the cut off times if it was measuring long I'd imagine there will be a lot of DNFs I've seen a few over the 01:10:00

It looks like they are DNF'ing anyone over the 1:10 cutoff, published times greater than that seem to include T1 time.

Cutoffs have more to do with road closure logistics than Boards schadenfreude.

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    It looks like they are DNF'ing anyone over the 1:10 cutoff, published times greater than that seem to include T1 time.

Cutoffs have more to do with road closure logistics than Boards schadenfreude.

Yep it looks that way the tracker seems to have gone dead on anyone over alright.

My mate will be pissed his first half and he had a swim time of 01:10:30 which if it was measuring long will be a kick to the teeth. The swim was always going to be tough for him average bike and very strong run. I assume he's no idea and hasn't been pulled from the course or will he have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'm just home from the swim start and bag sorting, fab morning for it and I really enjoyed volunteering.

Quite a few didn't make the cut-off and the last swimmer was out of the water approx. 9.20am! Although it looked very calm there appeared to be quite a strong pull which might have affected the times.

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm just home from the swim start and bag sorting, fab morning for it and I really enjoyed volunteering.

Quite a few didn't make the cut-off and the last swimmer was out of the water approx. 9.20am! Although it looked very calm there appeared to be quite a strong pull which might have affected the times.

It seems the swim was also long heard another report it measured 2.2km so even accounting for zigzag it was over 2km which may not be much more to most but I'd be willing to bet a large number swam 1.9 a handful of times in training

• Advertisement

Mens results
    1. Chevrot, Denis FRA 4:01:34
    2. Thomschke, Markus DEU 4:06:17
    3. Thornton, Kevin IRL 4:08:33

Ladies results
    1. Cheetham, Susie GBR 4:27:09
    2. Warriner, Samantha NZL 4:34:39
    3. Tajsich, Sonja DEU 4:38:21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Just heard KT punctured on the bike? Amazing performance if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Anyone know where they end up after the race? Back to DL?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Seemed perfect conditions for it today. I popped in to see the finish for 30mins or so and there was a good crowd there and gathering. Seemed a good setup too

Was in there from about 10:30 - good setup and quite good for supporters as bikes go through the park on around 15k and then finish there too so plenty of spectating to do if you can set yourself up in the park.

The course doesn't appeal to me as one I'd like to race on but may be worth thinking about for next year. Seemed to go well, though the run course along chesterfield anyway seemed quite congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Any body else come off on the sharp right where corse cuts back on itself. Rear Di2 dérailleur bent and loads of road rash. No one there to say slow down and slippy. They were at the top of the hill at that stage.

Wheel Worx guy was super. Got the dérailleur to at least work in one gear.

Swam 2.15K so it was long.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Wackoy2k wrote: »
    No one there to say slow down and slippy. They were at the top of the hill at that stage.

Where?

Great race - well organised and the support in the park was super

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I measured 2.2 for a 38min swim. There was some serious pull for the first few waves out to sea. Seems to relax towards the last few waves but still a lot of people going the long way between the bouys.

Mat was at the top of the steps so wouldn't have contributed to long swim times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Swam 2.15K so it was long.
    2.13 for me. I'd say the current had a lot to do with it. The two groups that went ahead of me were all over the shop.
    Any body else come off on the sharp right where corse cuts back on itself.
    Anseo :o
    That the right turn just before a railway bridge yeah? Came right off despite going very slow.

Lovely day out, I'll write a bit of a report later. Swim was tough, boys weren't too obvious what you needed to pass and what you didn't. For some reason I thought you turner right at the first bouy on the last leg.

Cycle was lovely, racing through the closed streets of Dublin was a great feeling. The countryside was a nice test. Then from Lucan inwards was tough, 22 speed bumps followed by a nice hill. Who's idea was it to put a "Caution, speed bumps" sign on the 22nd speed bump (no signs on the previous 21) :P

The run was fantastic. I've done loads of tris around Ireland, and marathons, this was the best crowd I'd ever seen. Maybe it was the novel of the first one brought out a lot of crazies, but really enthusiastic crowd. Bit crowded at one point at the back end (why were we in the bio lane rather than on the road?).

Great day out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement