Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Great day out. Really well run event and great course. I've done plenty of great races in ireland over the last 10 years and this was easily the best of them. The Ironman PR and Hype machine makes for a great racing experience.

The swim was definitely the full 1.9k if not a bit more. Water was lovely and clear (and not too cold really).

Bike course was decent, racing through town was pretty special. A lot of speed ramps which I didn't find too bad. I was surprised at the lack of potholes on the Meath roads. By and large they were in good nick but they definitely take it out out of the legs. Needed Wheelworx to get me back on the road as well after a mechanical early on. They seemed to be everywhere.

Run route was great, loads of support, not a hill in sight and great for spectators.

The athletes village was a bit busy afterwards. Seems very bizarre that they didn't have a food truck or two at it. There was only little tea stand that had a massive queue. A burger and chip man would have made a killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The athletes village was a bit busy afterwards. Seems very bizarre that they didn't have a food truck or two at it. There was only little tea stand that had a massive queue. A burger and chip man would have made a killing.

I spotted the tea stand selling Pot Noodle also. I can imagine that was the perfect recovery food :PAC:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

Anyone know where to find the finishers pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Seems very bizarre that they didn't have a food truck or two at it. There was only little tea stand that had a massive queue. A burger and chip man would have made a killing.
    Yeah definitely. Someone missed a trick there. 10,000 supporters out for 4/5 hours and nowhere to get food/coffee.

One of the highlights for me was the column monument in the central roundabout in PP. People climbing all over it, flags draped all around it - looked fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I 'forgot' to click my Garmin at the swim start and I'd have been disappointed with 40mins+ if I had read it at the end. Now seeing the results I am delighted but would like to know if the course was marked long or we all got hit by the current. My view is that it was marked long (there was a current too but isnt there always with a sea swim?).
    I saw the first few waves and they definitely strayed out (it looked like some had started at the 40ft). The announcer advised us on the current and I felt I swam a tight line for the first two legs. I got confused with the third leg, a lot of swimmers seemed close to shore and heading straight for the exit but there was a big square yellow buoy to my left which I was sure we had to take on our right. I'd say I lost a little time and added some distance while I made up my mind about that buoy.

I thought the bike was great, particularly from DL to the Park and then the support in the towns thereafter was cool too. Marshals did a great job from what I could see so thanks to all of them.

As soon as I dismounted an old (30 years old) dancing injury I thought I had licked reappeared with a vengeance and that together with the effect of chemical food and a bladder that had to be placated slowed me down on the run but I was still only a minute or so off my standalone HM PB. Support really helps at that stage of a race, gives me a rush anyway.

Overall very well organised, happy with my time especially since I have the long swim excuse for not beating my dream time (530).

Was my first middle distance, hopefully not my last. Lessons? Keep working at the bike, eat real food, drink to thirst as the experienced heads on here all advised, I am stuck with the old dance injury.

Thanks again to the volunteers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The big question that remains to be answered is now that year 1 is completed is the second hand market going to become flooded or have we turned box tickers into life long athletes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The big question that remains to be answered is now that year 1 is completed is the second hand market going to become flooded or have we turned box tickers into life long athletes?

Well I'm guestimating there were at least 300 DNF the majority missing the swim cut off so they'll be back I'd imagine.

I'm interested to see if they keep the same route.

I've a feeling today inspired an awful lot of future 70.3ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 day walker101

Just going over my data on Strava and Garmin connect, swim came in at 2.1km for me, dont see that much weaving tbh but 200 additional meters with a strong pull (which there was) is possible, happy with my time of 32 mins, less happy with my bag gone missing in T1 and it taking 5 minutes to locate. All that aside, great event, Dublin looked awesome and crowds were brilliant, well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Civil defence told me 25 got pulled from the sea approx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

I should state from the outset that I am not an athlete and my only prior experience of a refuelling station was filling my car at the local petrol station.

Water and energy drinks should have been in different colour bottles to be readily identifiable by athletes.

Water and energy drinks should have arrived at the station pre-bottled. Instead, we spent a ridiculous amount of time hunched over a tap from a tank trying to fill the water bottles. The tap was very close to ground level. When you’re filling individual bottles for 2,500 athletes that’s a lot of time spent crouched on the ground. A little stool would have saved someone’s back. Or the water tank could have been placed on a higher base. Or the bottles could have been pre-filled.

The drums for filling the energy drinks were dirty and had to be rinsed out.
    They should have arrived at the station clean and fit for purpose.

The knife provided for cutting bananas was disgusting. The blade was brown. One volunteer went back to his own house to get a clean knife.

Gloves provided were too small. The box was marked “Small”. They didn’t fit any of us!

Cyclists were asking for energy drinks using lots of different names. As a result we were shouting out different names to them. They were asking for isotonic/ energy/ sports/ electrolyte/ power drinks. One name should have been agreed by all at the start and this name should have been communicated to us! Some athletes said no to isotonic but took electrolyte drink. It was the same drink! One or two asked for gin and tonic/ Jameson! Unfortunately, we weren’t able to oblige. I'm sure they're enjoying one right now!

The toilets were positioned the wrong way around! The doors were up against the wall of someone’s house! Some volunteers had to turn them around.

Aside from all that, I have the greatest admiration for the athletes. Even though, they must have been exhausted, they were all very mannerly and appreciative. I apologise to the few at the start where I made a mess of the handover of the bottles. Unfortunately, they were the elite athletes so I hope they managed to get some sustenance elsewhere. My technique improved greatly as the race went on!

Bottom line though – would I be a volunteer next year? Yes! (I’d bring a stool for water duty though!)

Well done to you all!

Any idea what happened to Frazer Cartmell today? I see on his Twitter he's complaining about a 2.5hr wait for support. Any idea what he needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Firstly congrats to all participants today. Overall the event went well. The swim was definitely 2km plus. Bike was great especially flying counterflow down the quays.
    Saw two cyclists down and I hope they are OK this evening. The ambulance was 200m from one so fingers crossed...
    Overall positive and a pub for myself.
    Only downer for me was the food afterwards which I though was terrible. Finishets paid top dollar and should be treated to better......

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Any idea what happened to Frazer Cartmell today? I see on his Twitter he's complaining about a 2.5hr wait for support. Any idea what he needed?

I'd imagine there'll be more said about this. I think a lot of the pros missed a trick

"I was 1686th 2dy but by virtue of being '11th Pro' still earned more points than *racing* IM S.Africa & 70.3 Aix combined. S'thing is amiss." Fraser Cartmell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Raced today and really enjoyed it. I had swim as 2.28k. Water was lovely.
    Bike course was great BUT having an aid station in NUI Maynooth when we were trying to get over speed bumps was stupid.
    Got a PB of 5.08 so enjoying a beer now!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

My Garmin measured 2026m that I swam in 47mins, found the first couple of hundred meters v tough but settled in. Found it much easier & more relaxing to breathe every 2 strokes than 3.

Bike was fine with loads of support & the run was tough on v tired legs. Overall very enjoyable, I'll do more next year.

Today also confirmed that I currently have no interest in doing a full, glad I put off entering Challenge Galway until I got this under my belt.

Congrats SteRoo on today, you did great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

My Garmin measured 2026m that I swam in 47mins, found the first couple of hundred meters v tough but settled in. Found it much easier & more relaxing to breathe every 2 strokes than 3.

Bike was fine with loads of support & the run was tough on v tired legs. Overall very enjoyable, I'll do more next year.

Today also confirmed that I currently have no interest in doing a full, glad I put off entering Challenge Galway until I got this under my belt.

Congrats SteRoo on today, you did great.

Thanks bud , you too. Good to see you before the start

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

My short review (bigger coming to blog quite fast). Swim was really pleasant and I was feeling a bit slow just to realize I ended like 5 minutes later than expected. Seeing pro results that does make sense, although don't know the reason since my Garmin had 1,8 km (it could be wrong since for triAthlone it was also less than for people around me).

Bike was nice although I never drove a race with so much bumpers. Just before earlier mentioned feed station in Maynooth I saw an older lady fell off quite badly so maybe it would be smart to consider that for next year. Other than bumps and a few sh*** road surface parts I enjoyed it as much as I could (had serious back issues after 45 km but more about it soon) and loved the end hill part :)

Run was great experience with all those spectators cheering for us. I would of loved to finish bike 15ish mins sooner so I got there a bit earlier but nevertheless it was really cool. As someone mentioned earlier, at some parts you felt like you're in a proper crowd but I would always choose that over empty race. I did start over my capability just to try and make up for lost time on bike but after 7 km I had to start walking through every second feed station because my body wouldn't listen. In the end I had a satisfying run (1:43:26) and finished race 10 minutes later than I set my goal (5:40) so didn't get a PB either (5:38) although I did give out the best I had on the day and I don't feel there is any need to make excuses - next time :)

Thank you to ALL volunteers (there was even one Croatian lady!) for helping us throughout the race - you don't have any idea how much you mean to us during the race so, I'll repeat what I said to you on my last lap - BIG THANK YOU ALL

P.s. When it comes to organization this has just reassured me that Ironman does put fantastic events! I wouldn't go as far to say it's 100% worth money you spend, but I'm no even more glad I've done my first Ironman last year with them so thx for putting up another great event! Only thing for next time: prepare some food (not so important) and drinks (important) for supporters who were dying out of thirst! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ironman-dublin-no-gain-without-pain-but-where-s-the-pain-1.2311510

was just reading this fun one and saw: It is very likely, as the city is scheduled to host a full-distance Ironman in 2016

If this is true I'm not sure that it was suppose to go into public yet (and I'll have a hard time refusing the offer) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ironman-dublin-no-gain-without-pain-but-where-s-the-pain-1.2311510

was just reading this fun one and saw: It is very likely, as the city is scheduled to host a full-distance Ironman in 2016

If this is true I'm not sure that it was suppose to go into public yet (and I'll have a hard time refusing the offer) :)

I think the original plan when the 70.3 was announced that a full would follow in 2016. The 70.3 was a test event so to speak. I was under the impression though that the full had been shelved in favour of another half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Ironman 70.3 Dublin, no doubt was a success by the looks of it and fair play to all involved. The Swim sounds like it was tough and maybe a few new racers probably learned a lot.

The opinion of most seems to be that it was a great experience and for sure the Ironman brand brings atmosphere and the overall effect must be good if it brings more in and they stay. With it selling out can’t see any reason why they won’t be back. The big question now, is whether they stick or twist and go for the full distance!!. Could the swim location handle a full length swim or would a whole new plan be needed?

Sounds like organisation (barring a few issues) was good. Well done must be said whether it’s your own personal thing or not. The interest created must be good for the City and for the sport.

Some have said it was the best race of the year (especially If you thrive on the razzmatazz) - that’s great, but when you pay the entry fee required, it should be!! Also, by the time the race comes around you have forgotten what you paid!!

iAcesHigh wrote: »

Last year the press release said it was going to be 703 in 2015, Full in 2016, but those ideas seem to be gone. All the official advertising for Ironman Dublin 2016 was for another 70.3

Think the journalist was reading an old press release.

I think the original plan when the 70.3 was announced that a full would follow in 2016. The 70.3 was a test event so to speak. I was under the impression though that the full had been shelved in favour of another half.

I can't see them doing a full partly because I doubt they'd get the kind of closure required to run a marathon in Dublin City and I doubt anyone would want to run 6 laps of the phoenix park.

I guess they could always move it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

I was off in the first wave. Am I the only one to have seen the 3 groups of absolutes cheats on the bike? 14/15 in each group. Anyone know how to find out how many penalties were given for drafting. I have never seen the likes of it before and have 6/7 years of experience. Excluding that it was a great day out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I can't see them doing a full partly because I doubt they'd get the kind of closure required to run a marathon in Dublin City and I doubt anyone would want to run 6 laps of the phoenix park.

I guess they could always move it elsewhere.

don't think there will be a full, simply because challenge galway has a bunch of the prospective client base already signed up for next year. get it announced for 2017 and start the signup where people have a choice between the two, not where a good portion of those interested in IM already have signed up for a race

half again in 2016, full in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Love the Indos description - "slightly shorter" than a full Ironman. Oh and the run is also "slightly shorter" that a half Marathon at 20k ;-O.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/i-got-so-many-kicks-in-the-face-bressie-survives-dublin-ironman-triathlon-31437855.html

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

I think most will agree that it was a very successful race yesterday and it looks like we got very lucky with the weather. A few comments below on positives and a few think to look at to make next year even better.

Positives
    1. The finish was brill, almost worth the entry fee :-) Announcers were excellent.

2. Rolling swim start certainly much better, and fairer, that the bedlam at large mass starts.

3. Transitions were compact and good surfaces.

4. Swim, bike and run courses were very good.

5. Staff, volunteers and supporters were excellent.

6. The swim exit guys in particular. With the amount of hauling swimmers they had to do I suspect they are sorer than us today.

Things to improve

1. Swim was long. Most people reckon it was about 2150m. That must have cut off people normally doing it in 1 hour

2. Swim exit ramp was too steep. Expect that they sunk the pontoon with nobody on it at a nice reasonable angle. Then
    with 20 people on it it must have been a 40 degree scramble up with lots of assistance.

3. There was an extra left turn around a yellow buoy, between the two orange buoys, that was not in map or mentioned at briefing.

4. Nowhere near enough toilets in T1 and they were out of toilet long paper before start. There were 30 minute queues at at 6:40.

5. Last bike feed station was in narrow area with speed ramps in Maynooth. Also I thought I saw on some document that
    last feed was at 78K in Lucan.

6. Finish area and athlete village was a bit crowded. Would be better to have a bit more athlete only space.

7. Food was not a patch on what would be available at most club races with entry fee of €50

8. Speed ramps were a pain at Strawberry beds...Maybe start petitioning council now to cut some some gaps for bikes and it would be a serious improvement for next year as well as any cyclist who regularly used the road.

9. Lots of drafting and very little enforcement. Would love to see how many pens handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

bopperr wrote: »
    I was off in the first wave. Am I the only one to have seen the 3 groups of absolutes cheats on the bike? 14/15 in each group. Anyone know how to find out how many penalties were given for drafting. I have never seen the likes of it before and have 6/7 years of experience. Excluding that it was a great day out.

I found that the road was quite congested most of the way, so there was some inevitable drafting. Lots of motorbike referees around so I'd imagine there were a few handed out. A club mate of mine was penalised but he was disputing it afterwards.

The 'unofficial referees' who love to shout at people who they think are drafting as they bomb up the wrong side of the road are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Overall a great day and a decent route even if some of the roads were in an awful state.

Found the swim very frustrating. Clearly told go to first orange buoy take a left and go to next orange buoy, Just as I got to second orange buoy guy in Kayak told us to go back to yellow one as we didn't go around it. Explained we were told it was to be ignored and he argued and made all of us go back approx(30) of us. added another 4-500 metre's to the swim and ended up doing 2.5 k overall. Have heard this morning of 3-4 people who missed cut off for the same reason.

Not hard to just simply remove them so they do not cause any confusion. I would be very upset paying that money to miss the cut off for something so simple.

Otherwise was a very well organised event. Fair play to everyone who volunteered and helped make the day a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i guess the bellow post sums it up nicely
    and iam sure there is many dissapinoted faces today that predicted a fiasco.

7. Food was not a patch on what would be available at most club races with entry fee of €50

that is very true and the food and drink were better at Ck the day before.
    the good thing is we have choices what we want with two different races at very different price points.
    one what triathlon is about and one race that is great for the people branding and razzmatazz is important.
    ANd from what i hear almost all the people that did ck or dub70.3 where happy. both races sold out . win win.

20rothmans wrote: »
    I think most will agree that it was a very successful race yesterday and it looks like we got very lucky with the weather. A few comments below on positives and a few think to look at to make next year even better.

Positives
    1. The finish was brill, almost worth the entry fee :-) Announcers were excellent.

2. Rolling swim start certainly much better, and fairer, that the bedlam at large mass starts.

3. Transitions were compact and good surfaces.

4. Swim, bike and run courses were very good.

5. Staff, volunteers and supporters were excellent.

6. The swim exit guys in particular. With the amount of hauling swimmers they had to do I suspect they are sorer than us today.

Things to improve

1. Swim was long. Most people reckon it was about 2150m. That must have cut off people normally doing it in 1 hour

2. Swim exit ramp was too steep. Expect that they sunk the pontoon with nobody on it at a nice reasonable angle. Then
    with 20 people on it it must have been a 40 degree scramble up with lots of assistance.

3. There was an extra left turn around a yellow buoy, between the two orange buoys, that was not in map or mentioned at briefing.

4. Nowhere near enough toilets in T1 and they were out of toilet long paper before start. There were 30 minute queues at at 6:40.

5. Last bike feed station was in narrow area with speed ramps in Maynooth. Also I thought I saw on some document that
    last feed was at 78K in Lucan.

6. Finish area and athlete village was a bit crowded. Would be better to have a bit more athlete only space.

8. Speed ramps were a pain at Strawberry beds...Maybe start petitioning council now to cut some some gaps for bikes and it would be a serious improvement for next year as well as any cyclist who regularly used the road.

9. Lots of drafting and very little enforcement. Would love to see how many pens handed out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement