Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What happened Fraser Cartmell? Did he have a mechanical?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

peter kern wrote: »
    ANd from what i hear almost all the people that did ck or dub70.3 where happy

i wasn't happy :( :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Great event, really enjoyed it, logistics were superb. The comments above are all pretty fair, the bogs were out of toilet roll, I had baby wipes and gave most of them away. I found the swim a big longer, and was surprised to take about 5 min more than I always do for that distance, and I swam well, the intermediate yellow buoy along the harbour wall stretch contradicted the swim route I think and confused a lot of people, I reckon it was longer than 1.9k, and getting out of the water was a little tricky on the pontoon! It was great to exit the water and run to T1 through the spectators, bike was fine, too many bumps and unfortunate that people came off but that can happen on the bike regardless. The run was great , really enjoyed the loops, the armbands were a mental distraction and once into second loop I was ready to get the red and head for the line. Great crowds, super volunteers. I don't think it's just a box-ticking thing and suddenly people are athletes, there is more to sports than tris, and great to see so many first timers giving it a go from so many sporting backgrounds. I reckon 2016 is another half with a full in the future - now that would be somethingl. Lots of IM courses are loops, Dublin bay can handle the course, plenty of countryside for the bike, and the park is big enough for a few larger loops. Well done to everyone who finished and super work by the volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Make that that 3rd lap for the red armband!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

pgibbo wrote: »
    What happened Fraser Cartmell? Did he have a mechanical?

He punctured and claims to have been waiting 2.5 hours which I find hard to believe buy anyway.

I assume he was running tubs and had no way of fixing himself.

Did KT get himself back on track or get support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    He punctured and claims to have been waiting 2.5 hours which I find hard to believe buy anyway.

I assume he was running tubs and had no way of fixing himself.

Did KT get himself back on track or get support?

according to http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ironman-dublin-no-gain-without-pain-but-where-s-the-pain-1.2311510:
    “It was the fastest tyre change of my life, I think,” he said at the finish line.
    “I had the puncture repaired in three minutes.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

BTH wrote: »
    i wasn't happy :( :mad:

maybe you should have done 70.3 dub ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Still waiting for the usual suspect whingers on this thread who predicted this would be a disaster to hold their hands up and admit they got it wrong.
    had a great day,really enjoyed it,nice to have the option to do a race like this without all the added travel and accommodation expense,will do again. All the feedback I've heard has been very positive.

peter kern wrote: »
    maybe you should have done 70.3 dub ;-)

Would they have a replacement pedal for me??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Jeez lads leave off the "where are they now" posts to the naysayers. No need for the gloating. It was a huge success, we all enjoyed it, leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Where should I get my tattoo ??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

I come from a running background but volunteered to help out at this event yesterday, gave me a great insight in to what it takes to get one of these events to run smoothly.
    Got a lot of thank yous from a lot of people at the bag collection so that was good to hear, on that evidence I'd say it was a great success.
    I was down at t2 earlier in the day, jaysus some of the people coming in off the bikes were in bad shape and they still had the run to complete. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Jeez lads leave off the "where are they now" posts to the naysayers. No need for the gloating. It was a huge success, we all enjoyed it, leave it there.

They deserve to be called on it, it was non stop in this thread along with petty barbs about people committing the heinous crime of entering this while new to the sport.
    Some of the 5 grand bike lads need to check their egos and realise nobody aside from themselves give a F### where they finish. Must eat them up that some lad who floated around the course and cycled on a done deal clapper gets a few more facebook likes and a greater sense of achievement then they do

LaGlisse wrote: »
    They deserve to be called on it, it was non stop in this thread along with petty barbs about people committing the heinous crime of entering this while new to the sport.
    Some of the 5 grand bike lads need to check their egos and realise nobody aside from themselves give a F### where they finish. Must eat them up that some lad who floated around the course and cycled on a done deal clapper gets a few more facebook likes and a greater sense of achievement then they do

Did you not do enough when you created a new user to blatantly troll this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Personally I was disappointed not to see a couple of drownings, but it seems to have gone very well and been enjoyed by all ;)

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Personally I was disappointed not to see a couple of drownings, but it seems to have gone very well and been enjoyed by all ;)

I'm lead to believe there were a couple of close calls

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Kurt_Godel wrote: »

I tried, but wasn't very good at that either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

need to check their egos
    gets a few more facebook likes and a greater sense of achievement then they do

you really couldn't make it up :D

i'd think it's fair to say they don't "give a F###" to borrow a term

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm lead to believe there were a couple of close calls

what happened at the swim cutoff, were people pulled from the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

I was a volunteer at the finishline and welcomed all/most of you home. You are all an inspiration. Ive been there and done that a few years ago but I never realised how emotional the finish area can be.

So many of you had your reasons for taking on the challenge and then dealing with the ups and downs of the intense training. To see so many laugh, cry, dance, crawl, jump and scream was a real honour.

Well done to all who crossed the line.

Time to dust of my bike and dig out that retro tri suit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

mossym wrote: »

Yes, I think about 15-20 or thereabouts.

potsy11 wrote: »

ouch, were they then allowed finish the rest of the race? Hopefully yes

Kurt, you could be ruthless and claim those as near drownings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I think to be fair you'll find most of the negativity was around the organisation; lack of route information before selling out, coordination of road closures on the proposed routes considering the difficulties experienced by local races, the general logistics seemed improbable.

Nobody was knocking anyone for trying, the questioning was about zero-to-heros who may not even make the start line (their own free will) when the majority of triathletes sharpen their teeth on smaller races on the way up to longer distances.

Its more about the longevity of their triathlon journey that was called into question than anything. Hopefully all those us used IM70.3 as a reason to start training will see other goals ahead of them to maintain the training.

The important question is: who is now motivated enough to go full distance? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I was that soldier last year. Trying my best and offended by the old heads having a dig. Reading back now, most of it was advice that read badly or tongue in cheek. How many rows have started over a text that was badly constructed and read worse? Overall comments are quite funny and witty
    Most of the time I read these comments now and think,
    '[insert name] really is full of wit'

potsy11 wrote: »

These were literally pulled from the water unable to complete the swim
    ouch, were they then allowed finish the rest of the race? Hopefully yes

There were a lot more than missed the cut and pulled from the race altogether.

As I was saying a lad I know missed by 30 secs and was pulled which is a bit unfair given the course was long and badly laid out from reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I was volunteering at the swim exit yesterday and loved the atmosphere - some athletes were coming out of the water fairly shook though.

Hopefully it's a half again next year as I'd love to take part.

Well done to all who finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I have a pal who swam 1:21, went on to complete the distance & was given a finish. There are a number of competitors in the results who swam over 1:10 and have 00:00:00 in all other times but they could have pulled out themselves.

If he swan 01:21:xx he'll be dnf'd when the final results are out. I think they're still provisional.

Swim cut off is 01:10:00 + 10 mins through T1 according to their rules.

I'm unsure If they literally stopped people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

I know one lad who struggled through the swim and finished in 01:11.33. When he got out and ran into transition he was told that he was not allowed to go on. They then took his bike transition bag away so he couldn't complete the course himself. In my opinion that's wrong, in fact its disgusting to treat somebody like that.

I know that they have to have cut off times, but all they had to do was use common sense. If they wanted to DQ people then they should have just taken their timing chip away from them. At least they could complete the course, that they had paid for and get a bit of personal satisfaction.

Saying all that, I found the race to be well worth the money. Good fast course, well organised and really well supported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

fluboy wrote: »
    I know one lad who struggled through the swim and finished in 01:11.33. When he got out and ran into transition he was told that he was not allowed to go on. They then took his bike transition bag away so he couldn't complete the course himself. In my opinion that's wrong, in fact its disgusting to treat somebody like that.

I know that they have to have cut off times, but all they had to do was use common sense. If they wanted to DQ people then they should have just taken their timing chip away from them. At least they could complete the course, that they had paid for and get a bit of personal satisfaction.

Saying all that, I found the race to be well worth the money. Good fast course, well organised and really well supported.

A cut off time is a cut off time, not a 'sure, youre grand, away with ya' time.
    If someone didn't do enough training to make the cut off time, then, they deserve to be stopped as the organisers have to assume that they haven't trained enough for the bike and run too.

Coming from a terrible swimmer!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement