Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

peter kern wrote: »
    the number of sold entires would be much higher as all the tickets that where on the market after when it sold out where tickets that had been given back and were resold. ( for what i see it would prob be another 250* ish more dns )
    *a wild guess

You have to allow for those racing under another's entry
    I know of at least 3. So DNS would be higher again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 day walker101

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I had a look at all the swim stats on strava. Fairly consistently measured at about 2.1k, but every one of them goes off course. I reckon the course may have been fairly straight, it was just a lot of people going off course (or dragged by currents)

Have a look at the video. From 1:50 onwards you get a good overhead of one of the groups. The direct line is to stay tight to the first buoy (on the left of simmers), then tight to the kayaks. As you see, everyone is a good bit right. At the end, about 2:20 you can see the leaders take a left when they realize they're off course.

my point earlier on exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Swim as seen by strava

http://youtu.be/sGMnnGVxdB8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

The last person either had a wonky gps or swam about 3k!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Nanoc wrote: »
    The last person either had a wonky gps or swam about 3k!

I was hoping they were a kayaker!

Steroo wrote: »
    Swim as seen by strava

Great fun to watch :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

BTH wrote: »

no-one. race will never happen. won't sell out. will be entries available weeks after they open. half those that sign up won't do the training. entry fee will be too high. councils won't agree. swim route will be awful.

mossym wrote: »
    no-one. race will never happen. won't sell out. will be entries available weeks after they open. half those that sign up won't do the training. entry fee will be too high. councils won't agree. swim route will be awful.

A smiley face at the end of this would have worked best :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

A smiley face at the end of this would have worked best :D

would have been way too obvious then. you have to leave some air of question over it, otherwise it's too easy for those that don't get tongue in cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Swim as seen by strava

I actually recognise quite a few of those avatars! :D Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 squirrel84

To get a swim course distance incorrect by 300 meters seems just madness to me, there was plenty of individuals who came out of the water after the 1.10 cut off & weren't allowed to continue but with 1 or 2 waves still coming behind them road closures shouldn't have been an issue. It also appears that the swim cut off wasn't applied to all with several athletes allowed to continue the race & have the joy of finishing while others were halted.

If swim cut off time is applied then why weren't the other cut off times enforced? Harsh just applying one rule inconsistently.

Why not have the ½ marathon as a 14 mile run?

Great event though & brilliant buzz in the park. It's just the swim course seems crazy to have a 1.9km course officially announced after the event as a 2.2km course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

squirrel84 wrote: »
    1.9km course officially announced after the event as a 2.2km course.

Where was this officially announced?

At the awards ceremony in the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If people are using the extra 200/300mtrs as a reason why they are missing the cut off then they are missing the fact they have simply not done the adequate preparation and training, and this is coming from a BOP swimmer.

At the awards ceremony in the park.

Hmm are you sure.

That's a bit controversial surely those that just missed the cut would have a fair arguement that they shouldn't have been stopped and as they were should be allowed entry to next years or similar.

I completely agree with RQ's comment the other day but you have to look at both sides if they admitted officially the swim was long then surely the question should be asked?

If people are using the extra 200/300mtrs as a reason why they are missing the cut off then they are missing the fact they have simply not done the adequate preparation and training, and this is coming from a BOP swimmer.

Agreed but it shouldn't have measured long and this could well have had consequences in the pro field if there was a particularly stronger swimmer he would've gained a fair advantage in 300M. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Swim as seen by strava

Is there anything that can't be improved by Benny Hill music?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Agreed but it shouldn't have measured long and this could well have had consequences in the pro field if there was a particularly stronger swimmer he would've gained a fair advantage in 300M. No?

When Ironman 70.3 was in Galway, the swim was shortened. This undoubtedly suited some pros more than others. Whatever the event, whatever the distance, whatever your level, you just have to race the course as it is on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

The length of the swim didn't bother me, it was the 'change' in the course, when I took a left at the 1k buoy and started sighting dead ahead for the next large orange buoy, we were diverted en masse by the kayak guy roaring at us to hang a right toward an intermediate buoy. No problem on the day, but left an additional 5 minutes out here in the water and for someone having a bad day in the water it wouldn't have helped. Listen, I loved the event including the swim, but the direction on the official course route was to take that first buoy and head straight for the next orange one. The wave start was great, plenty of room to swim ou there and no aggro turning at the buoys, I thought I'd have to take them wide to avoid a scrum. Roll on 2016 and hopefully a full thereafter....... and well done to everyone who finished, some achievement given the amount of first timers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Am I the only one who prefers a mass swim to wave starts? Why do people want 'plenty' of room, much harder to get a good draft in the smaller wave starts...I'm a crap swimmer, need all the help I can get out there!

zico10 wrote: »
    Whatever the event, whatever the distance, whatever your level, you just have to race the course as it is on the day.

This is actually the most level headed response I've read and sums up the whole long/short/fast/slow debate perfectly. Iron Man and other organisers should add this into their athlete pre race document. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Also need to remember that distances are guides too. Like a 5k race it is minimum 5k or people complain about short course.

Current, line etc will all affect distance as with the use of GPS to set the course out. You can't use a measuring wheel on a swim. Measuring at low tide and racing at high tide can make a few % difference at each buoy too. 10m x 5 buoys = 50m right there plus zigzag lines = easily several 100m extra. Not the fault of the organisers to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I preferred the rolling start, its the first time I have been in one. I knew I should be fast enough for the top 20% of the wave and was able to position myself there in the queue before the start. With a mass beach start I am not quick enough to get that kind of positioning and end up getting battered in a rubbery white water stew. It then takes a good while before I can try and sort out a draft and is often too late.

On Sunday as I started a bit left most people were to my right and I was able to see what was going on and had enough room to test out various swimmers for a draft. if I was faster than them then I was able to pick out the next one and eventually I found someone faster than me who towed me for about 1.25k before I lost him as we swam into congestion from the wave in front. It was actually almost exactly the same as the small group practice swims I had done there in the weeks previous.

I understand the trick is to identify someone or ones before the start that will be quicker and follow them but everyone looks the same!

I suppose a rolling start might be more expensive as it needs a timing mat at the start (I think Kilkee had one there this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Am I the only one who prefers a mass swim to wave starts? Why do people want 'plenty' of room, much harder to get a good draft in the smaller wave starts...I'm a crap swimmer, need all the help I can get out there!
    Yeah I prefer mass land-based starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Anybody know when registration for 2016 will actually open ?

AKW wrote: »
    Also need to remember that distances are guides too. Like a 5k race it is minimum 5k or people complain about short course.

Any certified AAI 5km race is 5000 meters long, it isn't 5250 meters nor is it 4800 meters. Fair enough your local charity fun run may not be correct but any proper race is accurately measured. This doesn’t seem to apply to any TI event where distances appear to be a guide only.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Any certified AAI 5km race is 5000 meters long, it isn't 5250 meters nor is it 4800 meters. Fair enough your local charity fun run may not be correct but any proper race is accurately measured. This doesn’t seem to apply to any TI event where distances appear to be a guide only.
    A lot of the time that is down to the difficulty in getting a suitable swim venue, transition venue, cycle course, and run course all within proximity of each other. It is accepted within tri that different courses will have their own particular features, and while distances are as close to regulation as possible, discrepancies can happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement