Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I don't think I have done a race yet that has had the 3 disciplines at the advertised lengths, don't think there has even been a race that had 2 at the lengths.

The swim is always going to be a hard one to judge, mainly because athletes can go all over the place. I've seen a fair bit of footage and photos from the swim and the huge majority of people added distance to the course themselves straight from the start, staying a fair bit away from the guide buoys. I was talking to the race director after the race and he was sure that it was only between 100-150m long. Sure even my own race at the weekend the garmin had me at 1770 for the Olympic distance swim, course might have been a bit long but more (if not all) of that difference was down to me not swimming the straightest lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

joey100 wrote: »
    Sure even my own race at the weekend the garmin had me at 1770 for the Olympic distance swim, course might have been a bit long but more (if not all) of that difference was down to me not swimming the straightest lines.

1,527m on my Garmin for the same race- so you swam 250m extra for the same time :D!

Wrist mounted Garmins are never going to be accurate in OW anyway. Not that it matters in a Tri, racing those around you is what its all about, and course distances are never the same. 1.9k +10% within the cutoff should have been doable by anyone sufficiently prepared- what if there had been a bit of chop?

I see the HIM course is being reported as up to 2.5k over on their FB comment page:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Wrist mounted Garmins are never going to be accurate in OW anyway.

I would be of the same opinion - I wouldn't trust the Garmins to be accurate at all - take with a very large pinch of salt if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

catweazle wrote: »
    I would be of the same opinion - I wouldn't trust the Garmins to be accurate at all - take with a very large pinch of salt if you ask me

Yeah they lose the signal underwater so wrist mounted swim data is just for fun really. Better accuracy wearing it behind your head, sandwiched between two caps.

But even then a Jones counter it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I know people probably only want to talk about courses that were long to make us feel better but I had the bike and run both short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 keithbrowne1

No complaints about the swim myself. Finished in 36:42 before my race day madness took over. Felt great for first section of bike. 30km in I came off before the turn at the bridge near Lucan before we headed towards clonee/ dunboyne direction. Few cuts, bruises but went on my way. Little did I know but my dérailleur had got damaged and the mech hanger must have cracked. Still at this point was going fine. Got to the climb at anglers rest, bike time was about 2:39, over 20 mins quicker than I had planned or hoped for. I went to drop into a lower gear and bang, off snapped the dérailleur & when I looked the mech hanger had broke in 2. Thankfully it was only about 3km or so from T2 so I knew I would get back but walking back with the bike for that distance before doing a half marathon was a bit of a nitemare. Made it back eventually and did the run fairly exhausted and sore from the earlier fall but main thing was to finish after an eventful first half distance race.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭dizzyg

I came off there too Keith, thanks to a large pothole on the exit of the corner! The sharp right-hander at 29.something km according to my splits. Luckily I only came away with a puncture and a shout of "well held" from the pack i was with. I fixed it, put the wheel back on, tried to spin it and.. nothing. The rim was too tight on the brake pad so the wheel must have a slight buckle in it. I loosened the brakes and did the rest of the 60k with limited back brakes, hoping that I wouldn't get another puncture, having used my only spare inner.

I was at the side of the road for about 20mins cursing. Did Thornton really only take 3mins for his pitstop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

dizzyg wrote: »
    ...from the pack i was with....

Ermmm?

EC1000 wrote: »
    Ermmm?

I'm a BOP at best. Trust me, there was nothing untoward on my part.

I was taking the racing line round the corner when a bunch (yes, a bunch) caught me up. I got the shout "LEFT!", which I did... putting me into a pothole.

By the sounds of it, the drafting police didn't bother the AG'ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dcdub38

First time posting so forgive my English and long rant felt it had to be said as there as some shams out there this week

"The pack I was with" - shocking but for the day is was a lot of people

I have to say the bike drafting was a discrace I have done 3 full IMs in last 3 years and and number of 70.3 here and abroad.
    I have seen nothing like I did on Sunday. Packs of riders doing over and unders. It was really noticeable on the stretch of road from kilcock all way to the hill at the anglers.
    My story I did 48 min swim (I'm not a good swimmer) but did under 2.35 for the bike. You can do the maths of when I would have been in kilcock.
    From kilcock the start of the 25~ 29 came past in ones on P5 and the like full disks flat out a joy to watch.
    With in 5 mins groups of 5's and 10's over and under coming past on the 6 grand time machines and it continued to get worse.
    By strawberry beds I counted 27 boys of all different age groups no more than a wheel apart.
    With a couple of lads at front working rest just resting. Yes I'm in a club a big club.
    I checked the times of a few boys (average rides 28k ~ 32k all season for 40k) then posting 2.40 and under for 90 on the day (bit strange)
    Check club mates times and there just blatant.
    Its a bit like cheating at golf the only person your again in IM is you unless your winning it, so only person your cheating is yourself.
    Shocking

• Advertisement

Probably the same guys that were complaining about the swim being a bit long.

I certainly wasn't there to win or anything, so it made no difference to me, but I don't know why these races aren't just declared as draft-legal and be done with it. It's obviously not enforceable.

30km in I came off before the turn at the bridge near Lucan before we headed towards clonee/ dunboyne direction
    I came off there too Keith, thanks to a large pothole on the exit of the corner! The sharp right-hander at 29.something km according to my splits.
    I was another one who came off at that corner. What was so bad about it? I took lots of 90 degree turns at the same speed, that was the only one I came off on. Was there oil on the road or something?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I was another one who came off at that corner. What was so bad about it? I took lots of 90 degree turns at the same speed, that was the only one I came off on. Was there oil on the road or something?

Somebody about 50M in front of me came off so I purposely slowed down to about 15km/h. Literally the second I tipped my brake the bike just went from underneath me.

I certainly wasn't there to win or anything, so it made no difference to me, but I don't know why these races aren't just declared as draft-legal and be done with it. It's obviously not enforceable.
    Are draft legal reaces allowed use TT bikes though? I'd assume there's a big insurance problem. Tour DeFrance and ITU racing isn't allowed, so presume pack racing with TT's are outlawed.

So then all those fancy TT bike manufacturers lose a lot of money. Do the draft legal Nat Series races allow TT bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Are draft legal reaces allowed use TT bikes though? I'd assume there's a big insurance problem. Tour DeFrance and ITU racing isn't allowed, so presume pack racing with TT's are outlawed.

So then all those fancy TT bike manufacturers lose a lot of money. Do the draft legal Nat Series races allow TT bikes?

CAT 1 is draft Legal and no TT bikes allowed. I suspect this is the case in general

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Cat 1 is only draft legal for the sprint and olympic national championships. Every other race they have had their own wave within the race but used TT bikes. Originally the plan was for all the Cat 1 races to be draft legal but none have happened yet. I'd say it is down to logistics.

Sorry, meant Cat1's

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

It took me some time to prepare both Croatian and English version (sorry for any mistakes but goal was to have both out as soon as possible) so if you're interested in how my race went and what is my opinion of the first Ironman 70.3 Dublin feel free to take a look at my blog

One down, one to go - http://goranmarkus.com/en/one-down-one-to-go/

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    It took me some time to prepare both Croatian and English version (sorry for any mistakes but goal was to have both out as soon as possible) so if you're interested in how my race went and what is my opinion of the first Ironman 70.3 Dublin feel free to take a look at my blog

One down, one to go - http://goranmarkus.com/en/one-down-one-to-go/

Nice blog, swim length was 1,784m. Nice racing line chosen there.

Triangla wrote: »
    Nice blog, swim length was 1,784m. Nice racing line chosen there.

I've got one of early 910xt and to be honest was always getting a bit less than I would actually do so I wouldn't really relay on my swim data (in general, not just this race). I'm glad you enjoyed it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 BennyO

Hi all. Looking at doing a HIM abroad after doing Dublin last week. Any suggestions on which one is best for atmosphere?
    Also how did Dublin compare to other HIM that people have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    I've got one of early 910xt and to be honest was always getting a bit less than I would actually do so I wouldn't really relay on my swim data (in general, not just this race). I'm glad you enjoyed it ;)

i have never read your blog, but are you genreating money with it the way you promote it ( if so well done ) ?

peter kern wrote: »
    i have never read your blog, but are you genreating money with it the way you promote it ( if so well done ) ?

not anymore really, was earning few bucks back in Croatia (was more into it) during my first triathlon year (especially for "from 0 to ironman in a year project, but also with blog writing before triathlon). Doing it more as a testing ground for myself and promotion of the sport in general. Really like the triathlon and would like to share my experience with others.

+ when it comes to promoting, sharing blog posts on this forum + facebook isn't really something special or time consuming (writing posts is, but that's another story)

BennyO wrote: »
    Hi all. Looking at doing a HIM abroad after doing Dublin last week. Any suggestions on which one is best for atmosphere?
    Also how did Dublin compare to other HIM that people have done?

To be honest, I know it's still to be seen but I'm quite sure that Pula event will be a huge success (not just because I'm from Croatia). I know how much they invested in the organization, landscapes are just stunning (swam/biked/run there plenty of times) and I would be shocked if it wasn't packed and loud during the race. To be honest, I would organize the race 2-3 weeks earlier to get even more spectators since touristic season would be quite strong then but on the other hand with a bit later date it was probably a lot easier to organize everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

No complaints about the swim myself. Finished in 36:42 before my race day madness took over. Felt great for first section of bike. 30km in I came off before the turn at the bridge near Lucan before we headed towards clonee/ dunboyne direction. Few cuts, bruises but went on my way. Little did I know but my dérailleur had got damaged and the mech hanger must have cracked. Still at this point was going fine. Got to the climb at anglers rest, bike time was about 2:39, over 20 mins quicker than I had planned or hoped for. I went to drop into a lower gear and bang, off snapped the dérailleur & when I looked the mech hanger had broke in 2. Thankfully it was only about 3km or so from T2 so I knew I would get back but walking back with the bike for that distance before doing a half marathon was a bit of a nitemare. Made it back eventually and did the run fairly exhausted and sore from the earlier fall but main thing was to finish after an eventful first half distance race.

HA, now I know who was "an athlete with a derailleur snapped in half" on the radio =(

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    HA, now I know who was "an athlete with a derailleur snapped in half" on the radio =(

Hahaha mine only happened at anglers rest & I wasn't on the radio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Hahaha mine only happened at anglers rest & I wasn't on the radio :)

Hani was one of the bike section marshals, must be referring to you being talked about on their radios.

I remember passing you just after I anglers rest and overheard Some spectator commenting about the poor chap walking his bike up that awful hill

Grassey wrote: »
    Hani was one of the bike section marshals, must be referring to you being talked about on their radios.

I remember passing you just after I anglers rest and overheard Some spectator commenting about the poor chap walking his bike up that awful hill

Funnily enough it was probably less torture walking up that hill although it the time I felt like throwing the bike back down the hill & into the river :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pore illy

I completed Dublin on Sunday, first triathlon and hardest thing I've ever done, most people were on proper tri bikes whereas I had a normal racing (albeit a good one) bike with clip on aero bars, I didn't make any other adjustments seat etc what I was wondering is what people reckon time saving would be on a tt specific bike, my average was 35kph so fast enough I'm guessing for tt to make a difference ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Pore illy wrote: »
    I completed Dublin on Sunday, first triathlon and hardest thing I've ever done, most people were on proper tri bikes whereas I had a normal racing (albeit a good one) bike with clip on aero bars, I didn't make any other adjustments seat etc what I was wondering is what people reckon time saving would be on a tt specific bike, my average was 35kph so fast enough I'm guessing for tt to make a difference ?
    Hard to quantity really maybe 2/3 kph
    Out if interest what was your swim and run splits ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement