Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Where's Rodney King when you need him?

Seriously, time to move on
    A lot of people were doubtful over whether last year would happen or not, and a lot of people will never have any time for branded razzmatazz races, and a lot of people did sign up for 2015 and either didn't start or didn't finish.

Let it go

And some folks from here raced Dublin this year and may not have disclosed it beforehand, and there are quite a few pretty decent athletes from this forum doing it in 2016 for the first time. It really is time to let it all go and admit the event was a roaring success and has been really good for triathlon awareness in Ireland.

Just because tri is moving closer to a mainstream mass-participation sport every year doesn't mean the cachet of being one of the originals in the early years of the sport is lost. Room for everyone here as they say, and bloody brilliant it is to see it growing so fast and improving folk's live like we know it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

MojoMaker wrote: »
    And some folks from here raced Dublin this year and may not have disclosed it beforehand, and there are quite a few pretty decent athletes from this forum doing it in 2016 for the first time. It really is time to let it all go and admit the event was a roaring success and has been really good for triathlon awareness in Ireland.

Just because tri is moving closer to a mainstream mass-participation sport every year doesn't mean the cachet of being one of the originals in the early years of the sport is lost. Room for everyone here as they say, and bloody brilliant it is to see it growing so fast and improving folk's live like we know it can.

This - there is way more pluses for going "mainstream " (although I don't see triathlon ever being mainstream sport :) ) then negatives of it + extra cheers for all the "originals" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I contacted Ironman about a week ago about the date for this and just got an email back today saying they haven't sorted a date yet so might not be fully decided on the 14th August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

joey100 wrote: »
    I contacted Ironman about a week ago about the date for this and just got an email back today saying they haven't sorted a date yet so might not be fully decided on the 14th August.

Unlikely to be a week before this, or a week after, based on tides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

joey100 wrote: »

A week before I hit 40. It'd be rude not to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Looks like they have stopped taking entries for a while. This from their facebook post:

"*UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE*
    Entries to IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin have been postponed whilst ongoing talks are being held with the relevant parties. We hope this will be resolved soon and entries can open shortly."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Guys what is the cost to do ironman 70.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

*think* around 300 for entry fee.
    total cost more though once kit and the like factored in. Typically a once off investment so once established in the sport its alot cheaper from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

If you're talking about Dublin one according to THIS it's €250 + 6% active fee which gives you a total of €265 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

How much do Dublin City Council or the govt have to pay Ironman for the right to host an Ironman race here? Is this what the delay is ? Haggling over the money up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

How much do Dublin City Council or the govt have to pay Ironman for the right to host an Ironman race here? Is this what the delay is ? Haggling over the money up front.

Would be very interesting to know who holds the power, Ironman or the authorities here.

My completely unfounded guess is that it's a traffic management issue with the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Talk around Galway was €250k for the privilege of the IM train stopping in your town. One way to kill it off is small minded 'why should we have to pay to bring you here?' attitude.

Tiz grand the junkets up front bringing all these council 'influencers' abroad to see the good that IM brings to a locality. The local spend is off the charts in millions yet "hello" money was an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

2 year contract i think ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

AKW wrote: »
    Talk around Galway was €250k for the privilege of the IM train stopping in your town. One way to kill it off is small minded 'why should we have to pay to bring you here?' attitude.

Tiz grand the junkets up front bringing all these council 'influencers' abroad to see the good that IM brings to a locality. The local spend is off the charts in millions yet "hello" money was an issue.

Is that 250k per council? :)

I wasn't planning on doing this, but, it seemed to go well this year and it's another HIM off the calendar if it doesn't go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 trytoirontri

Couldn't recommend Ironman Dublin enough. Was a great event which was generally well run. Swim course was a highlight, bike was ok, run was nice and flat with a great atmosphere. Enjoyed it so much I am doing full IM in Barcelona next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Any word on when the date of the 2016 Dublin event will be announced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Any word on when the date of the 2016 Dublin event will be announced ?

I believe there are some issues coordinating with the councils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 trytoirontri

tunney wrote: »
    I believe there are some issues coordinating with the councils.

Crazy. If its same course as last year it shouldn't be that difficult. If its not open by January a lot of people will have made alternate plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

What's everyone's honest opinions on this, will it go ahead, I see a few races still open out foreign maybe time to get registered for one just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

just heard a rumour that it's not going ahead this year..
    supposedly DCC refusing permission to close roads.
    Any truth to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

c07 wrote: »
    just heard a rumour that it's not going ahead this year..
    supposedly DCC refusing permission to close roads.
    Any truth to it?

There could be truth to it. But then again....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I overheard in the pool changing room that it was due to the OPW and access to the park. All this is guessing though and No one will be sure of anything until the organisers let us know, although the longer we don't hear anything the less chance there is of the race going ahead I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Surely any first timers would need to know about now whether or not they are training for a race in August. If nothing comes out by the end of Jan I'd say it would be taken as a no.

Which I'm sure Challenge Galway would love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Yep, getting fed up waiting on this
    I plan on going half distance this year and Dublin was perfect location and date wise
    Am already booked for the Frankfurt marathon end of October so can't afford to be p!ssing about waiting
    And I'm not chancing leaving training short either.
    End of January and I'm looking elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Was open November 2014 for the 2015 event. Mid Jan now so it's looking less and less likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just tweeted Andrew (CEO of IM) looking for an update as i have a few guys targeting this race and cannot finalise season plans. Will post an update if he replies (unlikely)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Surely any first timers would need to know about now whether or not they are training for a race in August. If nothing comes out by the end of Jan I'd say it would be taken as a no.

Which I'm sure Challenge Galway would love.

Don't mind the beginners, what about people trying to plan a season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Don't mind the beginners, what about people trying to plan a season

At this point I'd be planning a season with the assumption Dublin isn't going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

Last year's Race Director is not being retained. Strange move by IMUK given all the local support and good will that was drummed up by last year's RD.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement