Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

tunney wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can find a four week plan for this?

http://www.destinationyoufitness.com/half-ironman-training-in-4-weeks/ :D

You too can prepare yourself for just short of 7 hours of hell!

Believe it or not Ironman just responded
    Early registration is only open to TriClub members. Makes some sense

General scrum for any antisocial non-club member like me is open on the 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jowlsy

Believe it or not Ironman just responded
    Early registration is only open to TriClub members. Makes some sense

General scrum for any antisocial non-club member like me is open on the 29th

Bit disappointing, I'm sure there are loads of us who have done the last few in Ireland but just aren't in an official tri club. I can understand where they're coming from though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Jowlsy wrote: »
    Bit disappointing, I'm sure there are loads of us who have done the last few in Ireland but just aren't in an official tri club. I can understand where they're coming from though.

The code was triclb or something like that last year I'd imagine it'll be something similar this year and not specific to each entry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Why is it disappointing that you didn't get early bird registration? If everyone got it then it wouldn't be early bird registration now would it?

Don't worry about this selling out in a few days, just fire away and register on Monday. Numbers are down, many people have made alternative plans, and Challenge Galway is likely to have hoovered up more than a few floaters.

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Why is it disappointing that you didn't get early bird registration? If everyone got it then it wouldn't be early bird registration now would it?

What I meant is that it's been made exclusive to tri club members this year. I might have joined a club had i known. Last year us non club members were allowed to sign up for early registration, first come first served, but this year the only option was a reminder, which I did pretty much as soon as it went up. Fingers at the ready anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I'm a TI member and a tri club member yet didnt get any pre reg link. Your club has to be a member of the Ironman TriClub program to get one.

There is no difference between this year and last year in terms of pre-registration Jowlsy. In 2014 you could register via the WTC website to get advance warning of the impending registration announcement, you didn't actually get any jumpstart on the event registration itself.

Benefits of the Tri club program for WTC is that the clubs push the events, corral members towards the target, and generally assist the overall process for WTC. In return for that, participating clubs get a couple of days jump on the registration for their members. It's not worth joining a club just to get this, and especially not for this race which is not going to sell out at 9:01AM on Monday.

Just register on Monday and be done and remember there were 2nd and 3rd wave entries last year and you couldn't give away slots as recently as April despite registration opening in November 2014.

There is no difference between this year and last year in terms of pre-registration Jowlsy. In 2014 you could register via the WTC website to get advance warning of the impending registration announcement, you didn't actually get any jumpstart on the event registration itself.

Fair enough, I'm not sure what the email I used last year that said " IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin, Ireland is now open for you as one of our pre-registered athletes", had a code and instructions to register on the day before general entries opened was all about then.

You must have had a different route in to the event in that case, which compares favourably with the tri club way in to the event, horses for courses in way, right?

I'm kinda ticked off I didn't get your pre-registration option last year, after all I joined a club, I trained hard, and hang on a sec, don't you know who I am?

It's just not fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Jowlsy wrote: »
    Fair enough, I'm not sure what the email I used last year that said " IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin, Ireland is now open for you as one of our pre-registered athletes", had a code and instructions to register on the day before general entries opened was all about then.

We all got them, there was a ton of fanfare about the event, lots of go,go,go. As I said earlier there is not half as much excitement about it this year.

They had the fishing lines out in November for registration. It is 5 months later for the 2016 event - that says a lot.

For the record the text you are looking for is:
    here is a reminder that registration for the IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin, Ireland is now open for you as one of our pre-registered athletes. You can register by clicking the the link below and using the password mentioned.

Register Here
    Your password is: 84232 IT DOESN'T WORK!!

Public entries open at 10am GMT (11 am CET) on Tuesday 25th November if there are any general entry places remaining. IRONMAN have a number of partners who are able to guarantee places in the event, please see options and links below

You must have had a different route in to the event in that case, which compares favourably with the tri club way in to the event, horses for courses in way, right?

I'm kinda ticked off I didn't get your pre-registration option last year, after all I joined a club, I trained hard, and hang on a sec, don't you know who I am?

It's just not fair.

^ :pac: :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The password last year was posted on here! It was meant to be for club athletes, some kind soul posted it on boards, and everyone had access to it. There were still plenty of entries for a few months anyway wasn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

tunney wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can find a four week plan for this?

Sure you didn't need to train for Dublin Marathon. The run in this is only half the distance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The password last year was posted on here! It was meant to be for club athletes, some kind soul posted it on boards, and everyone had access to it. There were still plenty of entries for a few months anyway wasn't there?

There was still tri club entries after in July via their tri club programme - I'm considering Dublin, but will only do it through that channel, not entering now.
    If I miss out, I miss out. No big deal. Not sure I want to put down €250 to race around Dublin and Kildare anyway.

Any indications of any route changes? The end of that bike route through the Strawberry Beds doesn't entice me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

There was still tri club entries after in July via their tri club programme - I'm considering Dublin, but will only do it through that channel, not entering now.
    If I miss out, I miss out. No big deal. Not sure I want to put down €250 to race around Dublin and Kildare anyway.

Any indications of any route changes? The end of that bike route through the Strawberry Beds doesn't entice me.

Which is why Peter lost the bet but still took my money. #nohonour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

RJM85 wrote: »
    Sure you didn't need to train for Dublin Marathon. The run in this is only half the distance.

You just reminded me again that my missus bet him in that marathon:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

280.90 just in case the money is putting you off. Some minor ones around Maynooth but that is it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

rooneyjm wrote: »
    280.90 just in case the money is putting you off. Some minor ones around Maynooth but that is it

Holy sh*tballs...if I'm to do a half though - the only other options for that time of year are Lost Sheep and Humbert (and Hardman?), which with entry + travel + accommodation would probably be similar spend overall (or more)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

1000 signups in the first 25mns this morning according to Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Looking forward to it. im at least guaranteed a PB(assuming i finish) as its my first triathlon. now to put together a decent programme to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

INCOMING...

Anyone else's internet just break there?.......

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging but I am :)
    Working in Tel Aviv for a week and training in this pool
    Heated (a bit) natural ground water pumped from underground daily. 50m and 40m lanes of salt water. Bliss

pic_6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

A bump for this, looks like they have changed the bike course a bit from last year, looks to be a reverse of the loop that was done last year after the quays. No idea if this will make it easier or harder, very little climbing over the 90km (around 400m) and seems to be mainly downhill from 55km to the finish. Goes up the other side of Knockmaroon hill and down the strawberry beds, few ramps there but that seems to be the worst of it.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12334466?privacy_code=nJVBrUYLljisC2B3

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Finally a post - thought no-one was doing the 70.3 this year! The bike was straight forward enough, the last hour had some nice down-hill sections, nothing major, this looks like more of the same with the first half maybe a little harder but overall nothing too hard. As a matter of interest are many posters going again? I'm finding it a little harder to motivate myself but will give it a lash as really enjoyed last year.

reidman wrote: »
    As a matter of interest are many posters going again?

I'm doing it, my first 70.3 event. Will be doing Lost Sheep then afterwards

joey100 wrote: »
    A bump for this, looks like they have changed the bike course a bit from last year, looks to be a reverse of the loop that was done last year after the quays. No idea if this will make it easier or harder, very little climbing over the 90km (around 400m) and seems to be mainly downhill from 55km to the finish. Goes up the other side of Knockmaroon hill and down the strawberry beds, few ramps there but that seems to be the worst of it.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12334466?privacy_code=nJVBrUYLljisC2B3

Fecking 'premium features' won't let me drop over to Garmin.

Thanks for posting Joey. The next 4 weeks are as specific as I can get training so plenty of opportunity to recce the course

Fecking 'premium features' won't let me drop over to Garmin.

Thanks for posting Joey. The next 4 weeks are as specific as I can get training so plenty of opportunity to recce the course

If you do get a gpx of it please let me know. thx

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

viperlogic wrote: »
    If you do get a gpx of it please let me know. thx

If you dld a tcx file from rideWgps, and go to:
    http://www.gpsies.com/createTrack.do

It will let you dld a gpx file...it sticks timestamps into the file, so it has to choose an average speed etc

• Advertisement

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/12976249

Garmin course here. It's running a bit short but probably due to minor cutting of corners, going round roundabouts the wrong way etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement