Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Izoard wrote: »
    Find a location with single transition and one that will embrace events such as this. Much bigger IM races (Zurich, ZA, from personal experience....) can easily manage single transition.
    Anyone with experience of trying to organize an event across multiple Dublin councils will know, that Dublin does not fully embrace these events.
    Why not look to move it to Bray/Greystones or similar - IM "Barcelona" is in Calella, 50km or so, from the city.

you have the small issue that county wicklow did not allow the bike route to be there...

IM "Barcelona" is in Calella, 50km or so, from the city.[/QUOTE]

where is a town within 50k of dublin that has 30% of the hotel rooms that caellea has ...ie for caella that works as it brings money in the shoulder season ie may and october. besiese that which town would pay the fees a company like ironman can command?

i think what you can be sure about is given the cost of split transitons this is the last option an organicer wants to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mossym wrote: »
    bike in question in case anyone recognises it and can alert the owner, twitter seeming to suggest they are looking for the owner

CqDVsjsWAAQxivK.jpg

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/765847635458744320

Anyone know how the bike was stolen? Not from transition I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

peter kern wrote: »
    you have the small issue that county wicklow did not allow the bike route to be there...

IM "Barcelona" is in Calella, 50km or so, from the city.

where is a town within 50k of dublin that has 30% of the hotel rooms that caellea has ...ie for caella that works as it brings money in the shoulder season ie may and october. besiese that which town would pay the fees a company like ironman can command?

i think what you can be sure about is given the cost of split transitons this is the last option an organicer wants to go with.[/QUOTE]

What is the ratio of hotel rooms in the town of Roth, relative to the 5,500 participants?

I've no doubt that the organizers came up with the "least worst" option, based on what they were working with.

The point is more that it was a sub-optimal race experience, from a logistical pov, relative to other similarly priced, branded races.

Izoard wrote: »

i think what you can be sure about is given the cost of split transitons this is the last option an organicer wants to go with.

What is the ratio of hotel rooms in the town of Roth, relative to the 5,500 participants?

I've no doubt that the organizers came up with the "least worst" option, based on what they were working with.

The point is more that it was a sub-optimal race experience, from a logistical pov, relative to other similarly priced, branded races.[/QUOTE]

Roth was built from scratch 30 years ago when races like that had less than 500 entrants ( i dodnt know the real number but i know the first ironman 70.3 race in europe 11 years ago had 470 entries so i guess the numbers were a good bit lower 1985 ) , and left ironman when it got to expensive for them.

you are also aware that logistcally roth , if not the most difficult race its , one of the most difficult races. but build its legacy over 30 years.
    at the same time zurich which has a single transiton dosnt sell out. kopenhaagen is a race that sell out very qucikly and has split transition.

if you did not thave a good race experience thats fine ( and i dodnt like split transitons either ) , but i think you need to seperate whats possible and whats not possible.
    many people that do roth dont wont to do it again because of logistics, yet it wins the best long distance race award in germany year after year ( and of course roth does many things amazingly well).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

if you did not thave a good race experience thats fine ( and i dodnt like split transitons either ) , but i think you need to seperate whats possible and whats not possible.
    many people that do roth dont wont to do it again because of logistics, yet it wins the best long distance race award in germany year after year ( and of course roth does many things amazingly well).

My experience of Roth (and yes, it too has a split transition and logistics that are a pain in the ar$e...), is that the entire region/province is behind the race, so it is the best race it can be.

The point here, is that the Dublin IM70.3 organizers have 1 hand tied behind their backs, so that this is not the best race that Dublin could put on.

This is not a crack at the organizers - more calling out the environment in trying to organize any significant race in Dublin.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

T2 and especially taking the bike+bags after the race were a disaster, but other than that I really enjoyed the race and had a lovely time. Luckily, after back issues last year, this one went quite ok (if we neglect all those running problems I have lately) so I'm more than happy with the race as a whole. My full review of the race: http://goranmarkus.com/en/overshadowed-by-the-lights-of-the-olympic-games/

On the side note - if I remember correctly before the first HIM in Dublin they mentioned they have the agreement from IM organization for 2 HIM editions in IE capital - anybody have any information on future plans: continue organizing HIM in Dublin, switch to full one or even stop organizing it at all? Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything on the spot there :(

Thinking about it, if they switch to full I would probably go for it and if it stays HIM I hope I can manage to persuade myself and not signup since, cold headed, I would rather volunteer next time... But you never know with these stuff, when they open registrations... :)

Just realized IM 70.3 Dublin has been removed from the IM map... :confused::eek: http://eu.ironman.com/events/triathlon-races.aspx?d=ironman+70.3#axzz4IcBUFFVE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

wasn't there a lack of it on the site after the race last year as well? seem to remember some comments in here that it wasn't listed/raising questions about whether it would happen or not

a couple of sources in the UK were bad mouthing it this week, cup of tri podcast were calling it "a bit irish" due to the orgnisation, and a UK based tri forum was comparing it to one of the UK 70.3's and saying it wasn't worth coming here for and the english one was better. that's the sort of negative publicity the race doesn't need if it is to survive.

mossym wrote: »
    wasn't there a lack of it on the site after the race last year as well? seem to remember some comments in here that it wasn't listed/raising questions about whether it would happen or not

a couple of sources in the UK were bad mouthing it this week, cup of tri podcast were calling it "a bit irish" due to the orgnisation, and a UK based tri forum was comparing it to one of the UK 70.3's and saying it wasn't worth coming here for and the english one was better. that's the sort of negative publicity the race doesn't need if it is to survive.

really? doesn't really makes all that much sense to me since I didn't see any real issues (heard few bike issues here, but that's it) so don't know what they expected/wanted :) On the other hands, I knew the roads (loved cycle through the town) and phoenix park so wasn't expecting anything else. Also, TBH this year I saw people watching for drafting almost every 15 mins or so, so I was pleased with that too - could have that been an issue? :P

P.s. didn't know it was removed last year...

one would assume IM wants to keep the race ( but annoucne it earlier) as all the uk 70.3 races sell out.
    I guess its anybodies guess what councils etc think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I thought permission was only granted for 2015/2016.

I guess if it was then it will be back to the relevant councils before IM can confirm the race will go ahead.

It would be interesting to see if Challenge would seek permission if IM don't intend on a race for 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

iwillhtfu wrote:

I was thinking the same. It will be interesting to see if they get the nod. I think this year's event was run better from traffic management point-of-view so hopefully the councils get on board, maybe Leo V will need to get back on it.

Challenge & Galway will be delighted of course if it's not renewed

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

I guess its anybodies guess what councils etc think.

I'd imagine they'll think 'how much money can we charge for this'
    iwillhtfu wrote: »

As far as I know the road closures (which I assume is one of the biggest obstacles to running an event like this) would be applied for on an annual basis, so it's not a case of getting 'permission' for 2 years as such, although it was originally billed as a 2 year plan, the idea was for a half in 2015 and a full in 2016, obviously the full got shelved.

Hopefully it's back next year, but it will be a case of various councils deciding how much of a backhander they want what the various fees and charges associated with the road closures are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

May as well start the conspiracy theories early

IM70.3 Dublin isn't on the map on the website anymore......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    Just realized IM 70.3 Dublin has been removed from the IM map... :confused::eek: http://eu.ironman.com/events/triathlon-races.aspx?d=ironman+70.3#axzz4IcBUFFVE
    May as well start the conspiracy theories early

IM70.3 Dublin isn't on the map on the website anymore......

They started earlier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    They started earlier :D

It was there last week.
    I'm sure there's a chapter in Marketing For Dummies on this.
    In and out like the hokey kokey so people panic when it's finally released

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

I had planned on doing it, if it was to come back to Dublin so knowing my luck it won't be back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 coq au vin

Just got around to getting my tat. It looks savage

Next goal is a lofty one. Trying for the elusive Irish AG vest!

careful, make sure the vest doesn't cover the tattoo, would be an awful waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

coq au vin wrote: »
    Just got around to getting my tat. It looks savage

Pics or GTFO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Just got an email survey there stating a review process is taking place for next year's event. Get the impression from the text that the general public in the locality aren't overly enamoured by the event. I got that sense last year at the swim warm up the day before the race - comments from the 40ft regulars along the lines of 'can't wait until this f-ing race is over' etc.
    For any event like this to succeed it needs local buy in. Therefore I hope the consultation goes well and eventually we get a full event in the city which would be great IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Survey relates to the economic impact the race has on the city

letters page on 220 triathlon this month had a pretty scathing letter from a participant this year, enough that Ironman wrote a reply. coupled with some other comments on podcasts/other forums, it's quite clear those that travel for this don't see it on par with other races around europe

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Looks like it's on anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Nanoc wrote: »
    Looks like it's on anyway...

I see they've moved it back a week. Obviously realised that going up against CK Tri was futile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

EC1000 wrote: »
    I see they've moved it back a week. Obviously realised that going up against CK Tri was futile :)

Yep no national series race on that week at all which was a wise move I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I'd say tide times has more to say about it than anything else...
    http://www.sailing.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Dublin-Aug-2017.jpg

Just out of interest not that i wont but is a T.I race license required for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

checky88 wrote: »
    Just out of interest not that i wont but is a T.I race license required for this?

yes

• Advertisement

Has anyone any clue when registration usually opens for this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement