Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Hotspot closing?

Options
  • 04-06-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Disappointing news if true. Always felt there was a lovely vibe in there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 seamountains

It seems to be true. A combination of factors; rents, rates etc. Hopefully they will find another venue for the music

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Wayne_M wrote: »
    Disappointing news if true. Always felt there was a lovely vibe in there.

the building is listed online for rent so presume its true

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Anyone hear about who's moving into the space?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Hope it's a coffee shop. Between there and Homans, there's no where to get a coffee. :rolleyes:

Banta wrote: »
    Hope it's a coffee shop. Between there and Homans, there's no where to get a coffee. :rolleyes:

I was speaking to someone who wanted to rent it to sell food but was told that homans has exclusive rights to sell food and drink in that block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Jimjay wrote: »
    I was speaking to someone who wanted to rent it to sell food but was told that homans has exclusive rights to sell food and drink in that block.

I'm not sure that's accurate.

Coffee, tea and food was available in Hotspot, when open.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Might want to tell Apache/Lams about that.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Might want to tell Apache/Lams about that.

:-) i dont think apache/lams compete with homans, dont know if they are even open at same time.

I was told that hotspot was a problem with homans at the time. I have no way to validate this its just what someone was telling me that they were told when they tried to rent the building and they were turned down because of it even when trying to pay deposit for the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That wouldnt be legal!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

I'm just picturing some sort of Greystones Tony Soprano. "We run the cawfee racket around here".

I don't even think such a law exists for food/drink, does it? I know only so many alcohol licenses can be granted to an area, but is there some law for food/drink licensing as well?

• Advertisement

That wouldnt be legal!

Really? So if a landlord owns a block of retail units he wouldn't be able to choose who he rents to or wouldnt be legally allowed to rent a unit with an agreement that he wont rent another to the same kind of company?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Really? So if a landlord owns a block of retail units he wouldn't be able to choose who he rents to or wouldnt be legally allowed to rent a unit with an agreement that he wont rent another to the same kind of company?

I'm not certain on this but surely competition law would prevent restrictive business practices like that

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Anyway, what we really need is another cafe style establishment. Or maybe a boutique..
    I'll let McDonalds a spot just opened in the village.

I'll get my coat now and leave.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is going to be a hair salon.
    Due to open with the next 2 weeks.

Advertisement