Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*****2014 LC English Paper One - all levels - June 4th 2014*****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Got a mention in paper 1.... Who knew I was so famous :D

I actually noticed that I was laughing away to myself :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Can someone please tell me for the letter to a well-known person were we supposed to put your own address in the top right and then the well-known persons address under it on the left? Please I'm freaking out I did it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Microphone Head

What a plot twist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

peekachoo wrote: »
    I actually noticed that I was laughing away to myself :P

Haha, same, everyone just starred...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

God bless the SEC! Lovely paper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Marteh wrote: »
    I did A too :P so is everyone that did heaney mainly cacking themselves? :L

I was planning on doing Heaney but thankfully, I didn't study any poetry. Now I'm going to study Larkin and Dickinson. So I didn't really waste any time.

Moral of the story: it pays off being a lazy bastard.
    Got a mention in paper 1.... Who knew I was so famous :D

I knew I had seen that name before :P

Can someone please tell me for the letter to a well-known person were we supposed to put your own address in the top right and then the well-known persons address under it on the left? Please I'm freaking out I did it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shaunicus

I did question B on the first text and question A on the second. Finished off with the mutant story.
    Nearly lost my life when I saw Heaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

So I did the sci fi short story, and there was a plot line etc but it was essentially about this tiger that takes on the physical attributes of his prey after eating it. For example in the story we see him eating a small colourful bird and after his fur reflects the colours of the bird and stuff...
    that's not too bizarre for sci fi, right? :rolleyes::P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

90% of my school did Text 1 Question A, Text 2 Question B and the ghost one for composing.

I thought Section I was really nice. I did Text 1 B and Text 2 A. The composing topics were horrible though :( I did the weather one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Please let paper 2 be as nice! Heaney could still easily come up tomorrow guys. Be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

So what did everyone do for the comprehending? I picked the science fiction novel one. Ripped a comic I read before and I basically wrote a story about how the world was getting really over crowded in the year 2027 so the goverment decided to send a ship filled with plants and cockarcoaches to mars, ship would open up and spread them all everywhere and the plants and seeds would spread and the roaches would help maintain the humus and terraform the planet. So 78 years later a team of scientists go to check out how mars is and its all beautiful and shiiz next thing yanno they cant find any roaches so they all go back to base and then this giant roach, man,....mutant thing breaks into the base and kills nearly everyone, main guy escapes and offs himself. I basically ripped off this

http://terraformars.wikia.com/wiki/Terra_Formars_Wiki

Cept made it a BITTTTT more realistic, was kind of a mix of sci-fi and horror :pac: also why did anyone elses paper have seamus heaney on it? Like wtf? I think it was a mistake, we probably got a sample paper 1 from the 80's or somthing by accident....right? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I did it that way! It's a formal letter, pretty sure that's how you do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I did the A question from text 3, B question from text 1.

I thought the B question on the Heaney text was pretty horrible. I loved the disappearance question though, so I was satisfied.

I did the speech on young people exerting their influence on issues. I mentioned Malala (the girl who got shot by the Taliban) and the Arab Spring uprisings which were orchestrated mainly by young people. Overall I think it was pretty good. I think I've written better stuff previously but for the first day of exams I'll take it gladly.

I'm convinced Heaney won't come up tomorrow. I've had an inkling all year he won't appear as the fact that he appeared in the comprehension today consolidates that belief.

I did it that way! It's a formal letter, pretty sure that's how you do it.

Oh my God thank you! The worrying I did over that throughout the exam was not fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JD244

Heaney coming up in Paper 1 might have no effect on Paper 2, the SEC probably trying to screw us over create a bit of worry amongst us, the dastards!

But then again if he doesn't come up that's better for myself garunteed either Yeats or Larkin!

Did Question A on text 2 and question B on text 3 then did the light-hearted article about Irish people's obsession with the weather for composing....oh how I love to take the p*ss and be awarded marks for it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

I had a great whinge about the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Huell wrote: »

Hahah same, I loved that article actually, was happy with mine. :P

I did part A on text 2, and part B on text 3. Nearly had a heart attack when I saw Heaney's face. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

I did the personal essay about encountering interesting characters.

Anyone know what classifies as interesting? I did a mate from College, a old teacher, a brawl and a couple who broke up. The impact it had on me was that it made want to change my life :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

also why did anyone elses paper have seamus heaney on it? Like wtf? I think it was a mistake, we probably got a sample paper 1 from the 80's or somthing by accident....right? :/[/quote]
    No...wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

I wrote 7.5 pages for the story (science fiction one)
    Now im freakin out i wrote too much gaaah
    I didnt get into the science fiction until about page

Ugh ugh ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

LoveLamps wrote: »
    I wrote 7.5 pages for the story (science fiction one)
    Now im freakin out i wrote too much gaaah
    I didnt get into the science fiction until about page

Ugh ugh ugh

I wrote 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I did the A part on the pop music thing lanchester and warner which went well and My part B on the news report about dell parsons went great too. I did the essay on a strange person you encountered that didnt go so well. I didnt fully finish, like I wrote just over four pages and I was already concluding it but didnt fully get to :pac:

Oh well its over now aye

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

I did this too, like I made it kinda funny and light humoured, is that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Badwulf wrote: »
    I wrote 8.

How can you even write 8...do you have huge writing??!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

How did people find ordinary level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Sounds like a lot of fun, I envy you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Soo... Better go cram mahon/bishop seeing as i only have dickinson/yeats/heaney!! Gah

The brightside: one exam FINITO feels gooood

• Advertisement

The title of my article was "How do you know weather you're obsessed?" - was quite proud of that one tbh.

Advertisement