Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*****2014 LC English Paper One - all levels - June 4th 2014*****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I barely got through three pages of the composition, felt all I had written was fairly high quality though. Did the comprehension on Canada and the speech about influences and they both went really well IMO. Did horribly in the composition in my mocks too and still came out with an A2 overall so not the biggest disaster if I can do well tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

I am literally in agony. Can someone please tell me does it make sense to say that young people are influenced positively by our heros, the positive effects of education and influenced negatively by the media, facebook and the detrimental effects of the recession? I said the recession can be negative for young people .. unsure as to weather its correct :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

The title of my article was "How do you know weather you're obsessed?" - was quite proud of that one tbh.

:pac::pac::pac:
    A1 before even reading the article hahaaha

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LeavingCertee

Ah the looks on people's faces when Heaney appeared was priceless, Heaney appearing on Paper I AND Paper 2 though.. I can't see that happening. Interesting theme though, and very doable question As

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Heaney as a comprehension :D

Anyone else do the video games/pop music question A? Part 3 was a nightmare in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

If you write extra points on comprehension...does it build up your marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

You know the comprehension about Canada was the landscape in which the extract set just one place or were there multiple different landscapes?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JD244

Flip how many marks for the composition title.... I hate you hindsight....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

It was so easy . I was actually shocked .

Had pretty much done that sort of essay before . It was so general aswell . I did part b from t2 and the long question on exerting influences and young people. I was shocked how general it was .
    I even got my quotes from George Orwell etc in on section 2 . Delighted :)

Hope everyone else is also content .

I am literally in agony. Can someone please tell me does it make sense to say that young people are influenced positively by our heros, the positive effects of education and influenced negatively by the media, facebook and the detrimental effects of the recession? I said the recession can be negative for young people .. unsure as to weather its correct :(

Doesn't matter if it's correct as long as you justified your assertions :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Hotale.com wrote: »

Anyone else do the video games/pop music question A? Part 3 was a nightmare in it!

I did. I didn't really like the questions on it but I'm not very creative for B so Text 1 was the only one I would've done well on so I had to do Text 2 for A. Thought I did well enough though in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you write extra points on comprehension...does it build up your marks?

You mean more than you were asked to?
    You can't score higher than the amount of marks it says are allotted for the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Hotale.com wrote: »

I did! I thought question (iii) was alright, got through it anyway!

So i have heaney/dickinson/yeats

Who should i cram? Bishop or mahon? Or both..

I reeeaally need advice! :(:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

peekachoo wrote: »
    So I did the sci fi short story, and there was a plot line etc but it was essentially about this tiger that takes on the physical attributes of his prey after eating it. For example in the story we see him eating a small colourful bird and after his fur reflects the colours of the bird and stuff...
    that's not too bizarre for sci fi, right? :rolleyes::P

Haha that's excellent! I thought that looked like a pretty difficult title really but that's definitely an original interpretation of the title! I was hoping for a speech I could go all political on so I'm glad I got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

You know the comprehension about Canada was the landscape in which the extract set just one place or were there multiple different landscapes?

I'm sure they drove from one place to another to another or something.

Like they were driving north.

LoveLamps wrote: »
    I did! I thought question (iii) was alright, got through it anyway!

So i have heaney/dickinson/yeats

Who should i cram? Bishop or mahon? Or both..

I reeeaally need advice! :(:o

Mahon's a dote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Anyone else notice the bit of an allusion to yeats at the end of text two?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

So what did you guys write for the talk?

I wrote about how your parents have a positive influence on you and how they will always be there to pick you up, then went on about how celebrities and media influence todays youth negativially with ads of really skinny chicks and doing reckless and dangerous behaviour :pac: also threw in a bit of humour for the audience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

robman60 wrote: »
    Haha that's excellent! I thought that looked like a pretty difficult title really but that's definitely an original interpretation of the title! I was hoping for a speech I could go all political on so I'm glad I got one.

:cool: !!

Delighted for ya so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

Not too bad for me, my essay wast utter ****e, but 4 pages.

• Advertisement

Did anyone else answer heaney comprehension?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

For the influences in young peoples lives I wrote about slender man.....

spurious wrote: »
    You mean more than you were asked to?
    You can't score higher than the amount of marks it says are allotted for the question.
    So they'll pick your best 3 on a 15 mark? That's cool...suppose it's better than only having 2 points. Timing wasn't an issue...happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

For the influences in young peoples lives I wrote about slender man.....

Never too soon :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Did anyone else answer heaney comprehension?

Yes, I did. I kind of regretted it in hindsight but I wanted to avoid the style question in text 2 and had already chosen text 1 for the B question. I thought it was pretty difficult as the first two questions were essentially the same, yet I didn't want to repeat points I'd made.

For the third part I mentioned his manipulation of language, and ability to use language effectively as well as his use of anecdotal evidence. I thought I should include another point but I couldn't identify any really! :(

What did you mention for the third part?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LimeTimee

OL ENGLISH IS SO EZ

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Anyone else notice the bit of an allusion to yeats at the end of text two?

yeah! i skimmed the texts then i looked at the composition and when I saw that quote I was like..there's a yeats comprehension too?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Badwulf wrote: »
    So what did you guys write for the talk?

I wrote about how your parents have a positive influence on you and how they will always be there to pick you up, then went on about how celebrities and media influence todays youth negativially with ads of really skinny chicks and doing reckless and dangerous behaviour :pac: also threw in a bit of humour for the audience

Used parents too and spoke about my dad as a personal influence, then used the influence of judgement for negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

For my part B I wrote a formal letter to JK Rowling and talked about how a diary I had as a child influenced my interest in reading a writing today :o
    Then for the composition I did the ghost story one and wrote about a group of friends who met up for a reunion after 20 years of not seeing eachother, but then it turns out that one of them had died 2 years earlier despite being present at the reunion :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 7jy

for the article on the weather, was it necessary to include a title/publication/date/name/position? Somehow got it into my head that was only necessary for part B articles and now stressing out...

Advertisement