Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*****2014 LC English Paper One - all levels - June 4th 2014*****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

robman60 wrote: »
    Yes, I did. I kind of regretted it in hindsight but I wanted to avoid the style question in text 2 and had already chosen text 1 for the B question. I thought it was pretty difficult as the first two questions were essentially the same, yet I didn't want to repeat points I'd made.

For the third part I mentioned his manipulation of language, and ability to use language effectively as well as his use of anecdotal evidence. I thought I should include another point but I couldn't identify any really! :(

What did you mention for the third part?
    I had no idea what to do...so I talked about his use of quotes...his inclusion of the audience...something about the artistry(the poem at the top)...and I had time at the end,was abit iffy on those,so did a paragraph on his "nostalgic style"...which I don't think even is a style.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

i think my talk might have been a bit too humorous..i've never wrote a talk before :o

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

Thought the speech question was a difficult one, lots of parts to it, did it nonetheless thouh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Just saw a tweet by a teacher saying that P1 and P2 are set by different people, so Heaney's appearance on one doesn't necessarily mean he won't be on the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

My composition was written from the point of view of a ghost who follows some girl into a hospital. Turns out it was his sister who he followed and his brother was dying in hospital. Ended that the brother died and he wasn't alone anymore. That's suitable right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

For the influences in young peoples lives I wrote about slender man.....

I did the same! I thought no one else would as the news only broke yesterday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

STADEdeLUC wrote: »
    Thought the speech question was a difficult one, lots of parts to it, did it nonetheless thouh

Thought it was gorgeous, I came across as some arrogant bollocks though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I wrote nearly a page on the weather article before realising I hadn't a notion of what I was saying :p

Ended up doing the personal essay on the beauties of everyday life or something like that, anyone else do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Anyone who did the influences on young people should have used Hotale.com's unhealthy addiction to boards.ie as anecdotal evidence. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

I did the same! I thought no one else would as the news only broke yesterday...

Really! I was lucky enough to read an article about it yesterday, and ended up doing a paragraph on online influence and how easlily it can occur!

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    Anyone who did the influences on young people should have used Hotale.com's unhealthy addiction to boards.ie as anecdotal evidence. :pac:

AH FECK. I forgot to put in my username somewhere:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

I did my part A on the third text as it was actually pretty manageable and the style question was easier than text 1's style question also had the added benefit of studying heaney's style before. Did my question B on text 2 and wrote about music and friends and did my composition on the ghost story , wrote 6 and half pages for it with not even a minute to spare so my timing worked out well.

Anyone else have this combination of A and B ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

cferry3 wrote: »
    I did this too, like I made it kinda funny and light humoured, is that ok?
    Exactly what i did ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

That talk was probably the handiest question B ever asked. I'd say half the country did it. Hopefully won't be marked harder because of this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Aspiring wrote: »
    That talk was probably the handiest question B ever asked. I'd say half the country did it. Hopefully won't be marked harder because of this :D
    i say the question a on text 1 will be marked hard, everyone i know did it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

a0ifee wrote: »
    i say the question a on text 1 will be marked hard, everyone i know did it!

Yeah I did it too. Was talking to a few that did the one on Heaney. I saw his face and just went nope nope nope :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Hmm can someone tell me is Vampires warewolves a centaur science fiction? Im kinda worried its not I think its more fantasy :( Is fantasy a sub-section of sci-fi? Please tell me it is T.T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Aspiring wrote: »

It was so general . Nice and easy . Also hope it's not marked too bad.
    By the sounds of it nobody did part A from text 2 :)

Hmm can someone tell me is Vampires warewolves a centaur science fiction? Im kinda worried its not I think its more fantasy :( Is fantasy a sub-section of sci-fi? Please tell me it is T.T

That sounds more like fantasy unfortunately, sci-fi is along the lines of Star Wars, fantasy is along the lines of Lord of the Ringe or Game of Thrones :p

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    It was so general . Nice and easy . Also hope it's not marked too bad.
    By the sounds of it nobody did part A from text 2 :)

I did,

Bad, bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 JD244

a0ifee wrote: »
    yeah! i skimmed the texts then i looked at the composition and when I saw that quote I was like..there's a yeats comprehension too?!

So are the hinting that Heaney and Larkin aren't coming up or they will come up. After reading that quote though, can imagine them putting Yeats up...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

If you said they were robot vampires or centaurs from another planet or WHYwolves it would be science fiction

Badwulf wrote: »
    If you said they were robot vampires or centaurs from another planet or WHYwolves it would be science fiction

Lol no. I mean its in modern times like guns and stuff xD..Damn there goes my english grade :(

Lol no. I mean its in modern times like guns and stuff xD..Damn there goes my english grade :(

You won't lose that many marks :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

OP/spurious/any other mod who's online, could you add a poll for the Section I?

I think these are all the possibilites:

1A & 2B
    1A & 3B
    2A & 1B
    2A & 3B
    3A & 1B
    3A & 2B

I think the composing choices were a lot more even.

Hotale.com wrote: »
    You won't lose that many marks :p

Well I mean I'm told if your purpose is low then the rest of them like coherence and language cant be above the purpose mark..

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

Does anyone think Heaney may still come up tomorrow though? Just because he was on the comprehension doesn't necessarily mean he won't still be on Paper 2.

Well I mean I'm told if your purpose is low then the rest of them like coherence and language cant be above the purpose mark..

Oh shít I forgot that..

Be grand. :P

Mcd2812 wrote: »
    Does anyone think Heaney may still come up tomorrow though? Just because he was on the comprehension doesn't necessarily mean he won't still be on Paper 2.

Yeah I'd say he will be still on paper 2..Don't really like him though..Dickinson all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭iWin1010

Badwulf wrote: »
    So what did you guys write for the talk?

I wrote about how your parents have a positive influence on you and how they will always be there to pick you up, then went on about how celebrities and media influence todays youth negativially with ads of really skinny chicks and doing reckless and dangerous behaviour :pac: also threw in a bit of humour for the audience

I wrote about negative impacts of social media - viral trends eg Nek Nomination
    Also impact of peers, legal guardians and teachers.

Advertisement