Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*****2014 LC English Paper One - all levels - June 4th 2014*****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TaiHusky

Okay, honestly, what poets are most likely to come up at this stage. I have dickinson to a T but I dont have a clue about the others

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Kyro wrote: »
    Seems like most people did A from Text 1? I did mine from Text 2 and B from Text 1.

Same :)

Guys for my essay...It was ' talk about a variety of unusual people youve encountered and how they impacted you'

I kind of messed up :-/ It was a peronsal essay and my idea was that i was working in a shop and this weird relgiious preacher came in talking to me trying to convert me blah blah theres a storm we have to stay in storm cellar. I find him annoying and weird but turns out he lost his whole family in a hurricane and I feel bad for him, im impacted in the way that I dont judge people or somthing like that .

But yeah I thought the essay was okay but i only talked about ONE unusual character. How much will I lose for relevance? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

TaiHusky wrote: »
    Okay, honestly, what poets are most likely to come up at this stage. I have dickinson to a T but I dont have a clue about the others

Bishop! Nobody thinks she will but I think she will :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ManCityMan21

My handwriting is relatively small, I fit about 9 words on a line. I wrote 3.75 pages for the essay, .75 for each of the comprehension questions and 1.5 for the part B on the 'Talk' about things that influence you people, is that enough, don't feel I did enough, my essay was good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Bishop! Nobody thinks she will but I think she will :P

Yes, same! Bishop and Yeats (and Heaney...) all the way. I know Bishop so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

They could pull another incident like Plathgate 2012 and keep Heaney and Dickinson off paper 2 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    It was so general . Nice and easy . Also hope it's not marked too bad.
    By the sounds of it nobody did part A from text 2 :)

I did.

Bit awkward really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CL987

No no no no no I didnt write which essay I did does this matter??

Kyro wrote: »
    I did.

Bit awkward really.

I thought part A text two was the easiest thing on the paper like the two guys had really straightforward opinions it was very easy to write about. Felt more like an irish comperehension

CL987 wrote: »
    No no no no no I didnt write which essay I did does this matter??

Hopefully not, dont worry! Theyll know its okay

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I thought part A text two was the easiest thing on the paper like the two guys had really straightforward opinions it was very easy to write about. Felt more like an irish comperehension

Seemed the easiest to me too. I had started with part A, read it a few times, started answering the questions and was like, errr...no. So then I did this one and loved it, only question that tripped me was part (iii).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

My handwriting is relatively small, I fit about 9 words on a line. I wrote 3.75 pages for the essay, .75 for each of the comprehension questions and 1.5 for the part B on the 'Talk' about things that influence you people, is that enough, don't feel I did enough, my essay was good though.

Well, I fit 14-16 words per line and wrote 1 page for each comprehension part and 1.5 for the 20 mark part, then 2 pages for the B part formal letter, and 3.75 for my short story :P

Aspiring wrote: »
    They could pull another incident like Plathgate 2012 and keep Heaney and Dickinson off paper 2 ;)

Plathgate???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Hopefully not, dont worry! Theyll know its okay

OH MY GOD are you sure I just realized I never wrote it down :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

My writing is Horrendous my english teachers going to kill me..But I mean if they expect me to to write that much then its there own fault! give me more time to cross the T's and dot the bloody i's and make my a's look less like e's!

Shane15 wrote: »
    Seemed the easiest to me too. I had started with part A, read it a few times, started answering the questions and was like, errr...no. So then I did this one and loved it, only question that tripped me was part (iii).

Really? I thought it was an easy question , warner used personal anecdotes and his own experiences to convery his opinion whereas Lanchester was just talking about the developments in videogames, nothing personal so it wasnt as easy to relate to. Idk thats what I said haha fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Did the letter to a well known person have to be formal? I wrote it in a semi-formal manner but used the formal layout, is that okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CL987

Thank god, was freaking out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

I talked about the recession influencing people negatively, cant go to college etc. - someone tell me this is somewhat correct? As for how people respond to these influences? It is ok to say how people respond, then give a right, positive way to respond?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 7jy

okay well, presuming a format of:
    Title Publication/Date

Name
    Position

was required for the weather article in Section 2, how much will it cost me if I just wrote it like a speech?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Plathgate???

Everybody thought Plath was DEFINITELY COMING UP OMG IT'S 100% CERTAIN. But she didn't. Sounds familiar, not really sure why... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Did the letter to a well known person have to be formal? I wrote it in a semi-formal manner but used the formal layout, is that okay?

That's exactly what I did. Like the two addresses at the top and then wrote it semi casual.

aleatorio wrote: »
    Well, I fit 14-16 words per line and wrote 1 page for each comprehension part and 1.5 for the 20 mark part, then 2 pages for the B part formal letter, and 3.75 for my short story :P

Jesus 16 words?? I get about 12 words per line and I'd say I have tiny writing. I wrote 1 page for (i) and one page for (ii) and 1.5 for (iii) then wrote 2.5 for part B and 4 for the essay which I didnt really get to finish as much as I would have liked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

That's exactly what I did. Like the two addresses at the top and then wrote it semi casual.

I actually left out the second address (the recipient's) because I was thinking it wasn't needed seeing that I was only going semi-formal. I made it clear at the end though that I included my contact info at the top so that they could get back to me... I hope that's okay :P

Really? I thought it was an easy question , warner used personal anecdotes and his own experiences to convery his opinion whereas Lanchester was just talking about the developments in videogames, nothing personal so it wasnt as easy to relate to. Idk thats what I said haha fingers crossed

That's pretty much what I said too but it still tripped me a bit, the wording just seemed weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CryingCaroline

Just in a complete mess.

Did the paper.

Answered text one question A on can. Left (iii) unfinished.

Rushed the speech on text two question B. Random speech, floats on and off "P". Short

The composition was the short story. It had no ghost, A story about a girl who is staring in the mirror, she appears to be with someone, but its actually herself, her reflection like. Its a weird one.

If somebody has the time, would they help a distraught girl out, she is panicking that did horribly and she wont even get 100 out of the 200 marks going for paper 1.

Well done on everyone who did well though, you guys deserve it :)

Caroline

Aspiring wrote: »
    Everybody thought Plath was DEFINITELY COMING UP OMG IT'S 100% CERTAIN. But she didn't. Sounds familiar, not really sure why... ;)

Haha noo i know that I heard all the fuss about that. But why did you put a gate at the end of Plath>?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

I'm still kind of in shock that my name came up....

Just in a complete mess.

Did the paper.

Answered text one question A on can. Left (iii) unfinished.

Rushed the speech on text two question B. Random speech, floats on and off "P". Short

The composition was the short story. It had no ghost, A story about a girl who is staring in the mirror, she appears to be with someone, but its actually herself, her reflection like. Its a weird one.

If somebody has the time, would they help a distraught girl out, she is panicking that did horribly and she wont even get 100 out of the 200 marks going for paper 1.

Well done on everyone who did well though, you guys deserve it :)

Caroline
    Well...Idk but my essay went horribly if that makes you feel any better :p

• Advertisement

I'm still kind of in shock that my name came up....

Whats your name?

Advertisement