Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*****2014 LC English Paper One - all levels - June 4th 2014*****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Well...Idk but my essay went horribly if that makes you feel any better :p

Yeah so did I :p Damn you english!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

Literally PRAYING that they're trying to scare us and Heaney will be a poet as well! unlikely but still

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Haha noo i know that I heard all the fuss about that. But why did you put a gate at the end of Plath>?

It started with Watergate.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scandals_with_%22-gate%22_suffix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Whats your name?

well my username"Saskatchewan" appeared in text 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CryingCaroline

Im not going to get it done. Im oficially crap. ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

Ok can someone help me out here. I did the text 2 question B and I talked about celebrity culture and social media being bad influences and then like significant public figures being good, I think I arsed it up because it sounds more inspirational than informative. Like I kind of have advice to fellow class mates as well as outline a few influences? Do you think that will suffice? Also for the personal essay I did the one about uncertainties and wrote about a bad car crash (I exaggerated it immensely) and hospital life. I basically went on about how I had temporary paralysis and how it was a torturing uncertainty not to know if would be able to move again and I wrote about depression as well. I'm really freaking out, I've been getting A1s in short stories all the time but the short stories did not suit me, I'm afraid I blurred the lines of distinction between a personal essay and short story. I'm really freaking out over. Barely got it done in time. Couldn't look over my answers. Writing was so messy because I was rushing. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

well my username"Saskatchewan" appeared in text 1!

Haha I was thinking there is NO WAY there is any Irish person called Dell Parsons! :p

Literally PRAYING that they're trying to scare us and Heaney will be a poet as well! unlikely but still

I'd say he will there's so many indications like he died last year he hasn't been on coarse since like 2003 and its his last year on the coarse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Im not going to get it done. Im oficially crap. ****.

You left out one part of one question from what I can see.
    Not the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

If Heaney or Dickinson are not on the paper tomorrow I will be devastated.

• Advertisement

Just in a complete mess.

Did the paper.

Answered text one question A on can. Left (iii) unfinished.

Rushed the speech on text two question B. Random speech, floats on and off "P". Short

The composition was the short story. It had no ghost, A story about a girl who is staring in the mirror, she appears to be with someone, but its actually herself, her reflection like. Its a weird one.

If somebody has the time, would they help a distraught girl out, she is panicking that did horribly and she wont even get 100 out of the 200 marks going for paper 1.

Well done on everyone who did well though, you guys deserve it :)

Caroline

I did the exact same thing as you, did the same questions except for the short story, I feel your pain!:(

If Heaney or Dickinson are not on the paper tomorrow I will be devastated.

I would puke on the exam stand up and leave. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

allyb17 wrote: »
    Ok can someone help me out here. I did the text 2 question B and I talked about celebrity culture and social media being bad influences and then like significant public figures being good, I think I arsed it up because it sounds more inspirational than informative. Like I kind of have advice to fellow class mates as well as outline a few influences? Do you think that will suffice? Also for the personal essay I did the one about uncertainties and wrote about a bad car crash (I exaggerated it immensely) and hospital life. I basically went on about how I had temporary paralysis and how it was a torturing uncertainty not to know if would be able to move again and I wrote about depression as well. I'm really freaking out, I've been getting A1s in short stories all the time but the short stories did not suit me, I'm afraid I blurred the lines of distinction between a personal essay and short story. I'm really freaking out over. Barely got it done in time. Couldn't look over my answers. Writing was so messy because I was rushing. :(

Theres nothing wrong with making it more inspiring than informative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

This thread is on fire, you wouldn't think we have paper 2 tomorrow :P I suggest everyone relax, what's done is done, concentrate on doing well tomorrow :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ShoePolish

Hello, all.

I, like several thousand other student across the country today, have just sat the 2014 Leaving Cert English Paper 1.

For me, it went rather well, I thought. However, as I walked out of the exam hall, I started to reflect on what I had just written, and one thing in my mind seemed to bother me above any other. That is ; To what extent does your composition have to relate to the question.

Now, OF COURSE I stuck to the topic, and included several references to the main body of the question, but I felt like I spent too much time on the actual build up of my story. (it was Q7, the short story, the one about mutants). I started off with a clever beginning, relating to the title, as well as putting in my original twist.. However, I feel like the corrector may dock me marks just because I spent a lot of time on the build up toward the end, which featured a little 'reveal' relating to the whole 'mutant' theme...

I may be overthinking the situation but I'd like the opinion of other people, students and teachers...

So tell me... If a student is writing a short story, and focuses entirely on the subject matter at the beginning and end of the story but focuses purely on the build up in the middle (which eventually leads to the climax involving the topic at hand at the end), is that student in danger of losing a few crucial marks?

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    This thread is on fire, you wouldn't think we have paper 2 tomorrow :P I suggest everyone relax, what's done is done, concentrate on doing well tomorrow :p

"Whats done is done" Is that a sneaky Macbeth quote I see? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Did anyone else run out of time for the essay? I wrote only 2 pages in a rush because I spent too much time on the other parts. I did the essay about beautiful things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ManCityMan21

aleatorio wrote: »
    Well, I fit 14-16 words per line and wrote 1 page for each comprehension part and 1.5 for the 20 mark part, then 2 pages for the B part formal letter, and 3.75 for my short story :P

I was meant to say 12 words per line, 14 is ridiculous! I'm really nervous. Don't think I did very well on Part A and Part B.

mirrors wrote: »
    Did anyone else run out of time for the essay? I wrote only 2 pages in a rush because I spent too much time on the other parts. I did the essay about beautiful things in life.

Trust me your not the only one, I did too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

"Whats done is done" Is that a sneaky Macbeth quote I see? :P

is it though? :P ;)

I think I'm becoming hotale.com regarding Macbeth, had a dream about Banquo last night and all :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement

Jesus 16 words?? I get about 12 words per line and I'd say I have tiny writing. I wrote 1 page for (i) and one page for (ii) and 1.5 for (iii) then wrote 2.5 for part B and 4 for the essay which I didnt really get to finish as much as I would have liked

I wrote 1 page for (i) 1 page for (ii) 1.5 pages for (iii)
    2 nearly 3 for part (b)
    and 6 for the essay

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TaiHusky

Whats done is done, its in the past, now lets all decide what to cram for tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

I answered the last question of the Heaney comprehension all wrong, I missed the part where it said to talk about his style so I was just rambling on about parts of the text that were easy to understand and parts that weren't. Will I not get any marks at all? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I answered the last question of the Heaney comprehension all wrong, I missed the part where it said to talk about his style so I was just rambling on about parts of the text that were easy to understand and parts that weren't. Will I not get any marks at all? :(

Of course youll get marks

a0ifee wrote: »
    I loved the article about irish people's obsession with weather!!

Yes!! I wrote that one, it was just so nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnjoeboy

I did essay on beautiful things in everyday life.wrote about childhood old house and visiting it and all for first time in ages and that memories of the past came into my mind when in the house.and Said these memories are why I find it such a beautiful place for me in everyday life.does anyone think that is alright?or is it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Essay options on the ordinary paper where just awful

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ManCityMan21

What Comparative sections do you think will appear? Also Macbeth?

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    is it though? :P ;)

I think I'm becoming hotale.com regarding Macbeth, had a dream about Banquo last night and all :pac: :pac: :pac:

Lol Your sub-consciously quoting...Thats always a good sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

The smell of panic in this thread is quite pungent. Don't worry, they know you are in an exam situation, and so they will throw marks at you. My teacher corrects English exam papers, she said they definitely take into account that you are stressed and under pressure, and as such, you will do a lot better than you feel you have :)

Advertisement