Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*****2014 LC English Paper One - all levels - June 4th 2014*****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

lizzmurph wrote: »
    I wrote pretty much the same things for both those questions - whoops! Yeah, I interpreted them as the same question, it was really unclear, but surely they can't not give more marks just for thinking the same thing for two questions, can they?

I didn't do the question, but they do look very similar.

I'd imagine for part 1 you're giving an impersonal response as opposed to the personal response of part 2.

I really didn't like the whole "outline in your own words" thing, I didn't really know how to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

I only gave 2 points for the 2nd question in the heaney answer it only asked for 2, but usually 15 marks is 3 points! DODGE

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lizzmurph

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I didn't do the question, but they do look very similar.

I'd imagine for part 1 you're giving an impersonal response as opposed to the personal response of part 2.

I really didn't like the whole "outline in your own words" thing, I didn't really know how to go about it.

Oh yeah, I did include more personal notes for part (ii). I just referred to an object that's personal to me and used my own examples etc. Hopefully that will do.
    STADEdeLUC wrote: »
    I only gave 2 points for the 2nd question in the heaney answer it only asked for 2, but usually 15 marks is 3 points! DODGE

I only did two points as well..but didn't they only ask for two observations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I think the whole country was raging at seeing Heaney's face tbh :p I know many in my school weren't happy at him being there at all! He was my back up so not too bad but now either Larkin,Mahon or Bishop must come up for me! I thought it was a lovely paper :) did the speech about influence and the essay about uncertainties, absolutely love personal essays so I was in my element tbh :) did the comprehension on Heaney :p

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

lizzmurph wrote: »
    I only did two points as well..but didn't they only ask for two observations?

any 2 observations that made an impact on you, gave 2 and gave the impact on me, questioning the marking scheme though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Aislinggrace

Can someone please tell me for the letter to a well-known person were we supposed to put your own address in the top right and then the well-known persons address under it on the left? Please I'm freaking out I did it wrong.

Don't worry you're right:) right hand side is your address and the date under it, left hand side is their address :) I did that on the mocks, was sooo sickened!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dudenaite

Don't worry you're right:) right hand side is your address and the date under it, left hand side is their address :) I did that on the mocks, was sooo sickened!

How much do you think they will mark me down because I used the informal layout? So worried..

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kierancos

lc6947 wrote: »
    For the Heaney part A what did people write for part 1 and part 2 , i thought they were kind of asking the same question?

I tried my best not to give a personal response for the first part. But i thought I did very well with the personal response. Didn't get time to do the third part. 15 marks gone already 😦

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kateconolly

Did anyone else answer heaney comprehension?

Yaass I did thaat! OMG Im freakin out now coz everyone did Text 1 and text 2 :O

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RebelLAD1

pretty sure it wasn't a formal letter, you used the persons name and wrote the letter as if you knew them.. no need for their address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 gal555

Who is everyone banking on for poetry?
    Right now I've yeats, dickinson and heaney more or less okay....
    Cant decide if I should try another one or improve the three I have?
    Risky!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kateconolly

lc6947 wrote: »
    For the Heaney part A what did people write for part 1 and part 2 , i thought they were kind of asking the same question?

For part A I said that objects from the past were important to keep our childhood alive and allow us to reminisce when we are older and that kinda ****e then for part 2) i chose the image of the pistol and the cupboards and wrote down stuff about how that was similar o my chiildhood and how they helped keep our imaginations alive...you're right the questions were quite similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 deedeebb

anybody hoping for larkin tomorrow? him or dickinson and happy days!!!

Dudenaite wrote: »
    How much do you think they will mark me down because I used the informal layout? So worried..

I only lost five marks, I still got an A1 in the mocks so it didn't completely ruin me! I'm sure you did fine and there's no point dissecting the paper now :) there's always tomorrow to make up for those five marks!
    deedeebb wrote: »
    anybody hoping for larkin tomorrow? him or dickinson and happy days!!!

My teacher swears by Larkin coming up!

Yaass I did thaat! OMG Im freakin out now coz everyone did Text 1 and text 2 :O

That's good though cause you won't be competing with the rest of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

Out of interest, how much did people write for the essay? I chose the one on Uncertainty and I'm starting to think it was far too short. 1551 words? I counted I was that worried it wasn't up to par standard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Memories wrote: »
    Out of interest, how much did people write for the essay? I chose the one on Uncertainty and I'm starting to think it was far too short. 1551 words? I counted I was that worried it wasn't up to par standard...

1000 is enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

Memories wrote: »

I don't know how many words but I wrote 6 pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dudenaite

I only lost five marks, I still got an A1 in the mocks so it didn't completely ruin me! I'm sure you did fine and there's no point dissecting the paper now :) there's always tomorrow to make up for those five marks!
    You're right thank you :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Aren't the English papers usually glossy?? Why wasn't mine glossy?

Were your's glossy? I'm going to feel so left out now if they were :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Aren't the English papers usually glossy?? Why wasn't mine glossy?

Were your's glossy? I'm going to feel so left out now if they were :(

mine wasn't glossy ... nobody in my year had a glossy paper, so no need to feel left out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

gal555 wrote: »
    Who is everyone banking on for poetry?
    Right now I've yeats, dickinson and heaney more or less okay....
    Cant decide if I should try another one or improve the three I have?
    Risky!

Ive Dickinson well done, same of Heaney and ive a alright-ish bit of Yeats done. Tbh I really want Dickinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gal555

XtotheZ wrote: »
    Ive Dickinson well done, same of Heaney and ive a alright-ish bit of Yeats done. Tbh I really want Dickinson.

I'm the same. She'd be my number one at this stage....and so many people are hoping she'll be up so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

God I hate dickinson even though I know her best. I just started learning larkin tonight, as a safety net. And I love his poems:o So much easier to remember than dickinson

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Ok, two questions, I've learnt Plath, Dickinson, Heaney and Yeats off by heart, should I just stick with them or should I cram Bishop in tonight so I'm gurannteed one of them will come up tomorrow? If so, what are Bishops best and easiest poems?

Secondly, what are the most important things I should mention in a general vision and viewpoint question? the texts I'm doing are How Many Miles To Babylon, Purple Hibiscus and Children Of Men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Badwulf wrote: »
    Ok, two questions, I've learnt Plath, Dickinson, Heaney and Yeats off by heart, should I just stick with them or should I cram Bishop in tonight so I'm gurannteed one of them will come up tomorrow? If so, what are Bishops best and easiest poems?

Secondly, what are the most important things I should mention in a general vision and viewpoint question? the texts I'm doing are How Many Miles To Babylon, Purple Hibiscus and Children Of Men.

There is always a possibility that the other four could come up, but with the ones you've picked I think you are safe. If I were in your position I wouldn't be doing another.

For GVV, I think it's pretty much just how different events and actions affect the overall positivity or negativity of the piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I have Heaney, Yeats and Dickinson perfected (to my ability anyways) What other poet should I try and cram tonight? Didn't cover plath at all or Larkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

From just checking there, since 2007 there has only been one cross over coming up from years (2011-2010). Yeats. those banking on Plath, Bishop and Mahon keep that in mind as they came up last year, although it may mean there more likely. 3/8 are women with two up last year. Leaving Dickinson

Interestingly over the last few years it has mostly been 3 men and one women with the exception of last year when there was 3 women and one man. Equality for both sexes this year mabye.

Heaney not up since 2003 i think?

This was all completely pointless but atleast I feel better with my choices now that i have a statistical advantage :) I wonder can I bet on what poets will come up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Heaney was all like... (apologies if already posted I was not going through 19 pages just to check)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

So personally my P1 didn't go as planned and I came out thinking 'C or D' but normally I'm a B student, and that's what I'm aiming for. If P2 goes to plan is there any hope of it bringing me up to that B?

Advertisement