Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fecked up Paper 1 big time

• 04-06-2014 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm a repeat and I done the stuff you hear in horror stories by answering question a and b on the same text. Does anyone know where this leaves me? is there any chance they'd look past it or do I even get any marks for it?

Comments

K1ultra wrote: »
    I'm a repeat and I done the stuff you hear in horror stories by answering question a and b on the same text. Does anyone know where this leaves me? is there any chance they'd look past it or do I even get any marks for it?

I would say that they would correct both and allow the highest mark to be counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I'd speculate they'll give you the marks for your better one of the questions. If you're lucky they might mark you out of 25 or something on the B question. Either way, I wouldn't worry excessively about it. At the very worst it'll probably cost you about 10 points if you are counting English.

Just move on and redeem yourself on the rest of your exams. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 K1ultra

robman60 wrote: »
    I'd speculate they'll give you the marks for your better one of the questions. If you're lucky they might mark you out of 25 or something on the B question. Either way, I wouldn't worry excessively about it. At the very worst it'll probably cost you about 10 points if you are counting English.

Just move on and redeem yourself on the rest of your exams. :)

Cheers, absolutely sickening though was going to drop to pass because I literally know nothing for paper 2 but I said I'd chance honours because I passed last year without knowing anything for paper two either. Was heavily relying on Paper one so I dunno what I'm going to do as I only do the bare six subjects anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

Cheers, absolutely sickening though was going to drop to pass because I literally know nothing for paper 2 but I said I'd chance honours because I passed last year without knowing anything for paper two either. Was heavily relying on Paper one so I dunno what I'm going to do as I only do the bare six subjects anyway.

At least your essay doesn't sound like a 6 yr old writing about a day out. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

It does say not to answer question a and b from the same text in bold writing in several places on the paper .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would say that they would correct both and allow the highest mark to be counted.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    It does say not to answer question a and b from the same text in bold writing in several places on the paper .

This. Especially since you're repeating - surely you would know this from last year?

Kyro wrote: »
    This. Especially since you're repeating - surely you would know this from last year?

Well like I do obviously, it's never happened to me in the two mocks or in last years leaving either. It might have been the way I done my paper for some reason I said I'd change from the way I usually do it. I started by doing question b text two then done the composition and looked through the comprehensions after, then without thinking I thought text two comprehension looks alright ill chance it. No one to blame but myself I do realise this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

o: Thats horrible to hear..Apparently you lose 25% for paper 1 already by doing that leaving you with 75% for that particular paper. Hope you do well in paper 2 Make sure you read whats being asked! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,044 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

What were the essay options this year? Was there one about Roy Keane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

THey'll give you marks for both out of 50, then half your marks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

T0001 wrote: »
    THey'll give you marks for both out of 50, then half your marks

Where did you get this from?
    That's not what they would do in other subjects.
    Is that from a marking scheme?

o: Thats horrible to hear..Apparently you lose 25% for paper 1 already by doing that leaving you with 75% for that particular paper. Hope you do well in paper 2 Make sure you read whats being asked! :)

Thank you!:) haha lesson learned trust me

paulie21 wrote: »
    What were the essay options this year? Was there one about Roy Keane

One on Heaney, one was an excerpt from a book called Canada and the other was two authors talking about an art form that influenced them.dunno about pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

One on Heaney, one was an excerpt from a book called Canada and the other was two authors talking about an art form that influenced them.dunno about pass

They were the comprehensions, not the essays.

Kyro wrote: »
    They were the comprehensions, not the essays.

**** misread. I guess your starting to see why I made the mistake I did! There wasn't one on Roy keane but there was "Write a personal essay about your encounters with a variety of interesting or unusual people and the impact they made on you"

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

Can someone tell me exactly what moments of uncertainty is? I think I interpreted it wrong

Can someone tell me exactly what moments of uncertainty is? I think I interpreted it wrong

When your not certain about something, e.g. I hope Yeats comes up tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

EoghanIRL wrote: »

That's very useful after that fact. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

This is what the marking scheme says every year

CANDIDATE ANSWERS QUESTION A AND B FROM THE SAME TEXT
     Mark both attempts out of full marks.
     Disallow the lower mark.

• Advertisement

When your not certain about something, e.g. I hope Yeats comes up tomorrow?

Haha, true. But usually it means like depressing times. However, I talked about moments when I was uncertain what was going to happen next.. such as college, I talked about sport etc.. does it make sense?

Haha, true. But usually it means like depressing times. However, I talked about moments when I was uncertain what was going to happen next.. such as college, I talked about sport etc.. does it make sense?

To me that makes perfect sense anyway, sounds like you answered what the question asked

To me that makes perfect sense anyway, sounds like you answered what the question asked

Ohh thank god! Also, does it make sense to say the economic recession is a bad influence on young people, due to lack of jobs and unable to go to college etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Aodhagan wrote: »
    That's very useful after that fact. Well done.

Still trying to comprehend what the first part of your post means . Thanks though I appreciate the praise .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

spurious wrote: »
    Where did you get this from?
    That's not what they would do in other subjects.
    Is that from a marking scheme?

That what our English teacher told us

Yer that makes sense, at least you didn't do what I did. Had to write about meeting interesting people, wrote about my mate in college telling me all these epic stories, about a brawl outside a night club and my old teacher who was sick, PLEASE tell me this sounds like a C essay :(

Ohh thank god! Also, does it make sense to say the economic recession is a bad influence on young people, due to lack of jobs and unable to go to college etc?

To me anyway, I could be wrong like I'm not that good at English , that seems like a bit of a stretch. The consequences of the recession are bad, it's doesn't really cause people to do bad things though. Then again I can see where your coming from so, I dunno maybe it is right

T0001 wrote: »
    That what our English teacher told us

Well they're wrong. Aarong9224 posted the relevant extract from the marking scheme.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90684273&postcount=21
    They mark both and give the marks for the best one, like they do in other subjects.

Advertisement