Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband speed profile

Options
  • 04-06-2014 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

A few days ago my line developed a fault. I finally reported it yesterday afternoon when the broadband connection kept dropping immediately after connection and there was severe noise on the line during calls.

I must say eircom exceeded my expectations and have fixed a fault in the line caused by a tree, within 24 hours. I have noticed an improvement in my line stats since the repair.

The following are the current line stats listed while logged into my Zxyel D1000 router.

Speed:
    3072 kbps/384 kbps

Line Attenuation(Down/Up):
    52.0 dB/ 31.5 dB

DSL Noise Margin:
    12.0 dB/ 20.0 dB

Is it possible for my line to sustain any upgrade in speed at all? Even a bump to 4Mb would be great.

Efibre is listed as available in my area, but not yet available for my line. This has been the case for a long time. What is the likelihood I will see efibre anytime soon?

Assuming I was connected to the closest cabinet to my house, I estimate that my line would be capable of 12Mb downstream. Which although is a lot less than most people, would be a great upgrade for me.

Any information greatly appreciated. 

Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

ShevY wrote: »
    A few days ago my line developed a fault. I finally reported it yesterday afternoon when the broadband connection kept dropping immediately after connection and there was severe noise on the line during calls.

I must say eircom exceeded my expectations and have fixed a fault in the line caused by a tree, within 24 hours. I have noticed an improvement in my line stats since the repair.

The following are the current line stats listed while logged into my Zxyel D1000 router.

Speed:
    3072 kbps/384 kbps

52.0 dB/ 31.5 dB

DSL Noise Margin:
    12.0 dB/ 20.0 dB

Is it possible for my line to sustain any upgrade in speed at all? Even a bump to 4Mb would be great.

Efibre is listed as available in my area, but not yet available for my line. This has been the case for a long time. What is the likelihood I will see efibre anytime soon?

Assuming I was connected to the closest cabinet to my house, I estimate that my line would be capable of 12Mb downstream. Which although is a lot less than most people, would be a great upgrade for me.

Brian.

Hi ShevY

I'm very happy to hear that your line was repaired and of course to hear your satisfaction with the timeframe.

If you would like to PM me your landline number I will be happy to explore your options surrounding upgrading the existing speeds and check the coverage & plans of efibre to your line.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Speed:
    3072 kbps/384 kbps

52.0 dB/ 31.5 dB

DSL Noise Margin:
    12.0 dB/ 20.0 dB

Brian.

Hi ShevY

I'm very happy to hear that your line was repaired and of course to hear your satisfaction with the timeframe.

If you would like to PM me your landline number I will be happy to explore your options surrounding upgrading the existing speeds and check the coverage  & plans of efibre to your line.

Thanks

Al

pm sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Speed:
    3072 kbps/384 kbps

52.0 dB/ 31.5 dB

DSL Noise Margin:
    12.0 dB/ 20.0 dB

Brian.

Hi ShevY

If you would like to PM me your landline number I will be happy to explore your options surrounding upgrading the existing speeds and check the coverage  & plans of efibre to your line.

Thanks

Al

pm sent

Hi ShevY

Thanks for your PM,

I've just looked in to this now and I'm sorry to confirm that due to your lines distance from the serving exchange the max speed it can possible hold is up to 3MB. Unfortunately there is no action which can be taken to improve speeds where distance from the exchange is the contributing factor and this is one of the main reasons speeds are provided on the terms of 'up to'.

I've been in contact with efibre planning and they have advised that there are no plans to bring efibre to your specific area this year however upon the next release of plans predicted in 2015 we will hopefully try to have better news for you then.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement