Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contesting a Speeding Ticket

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Yeah, thanks for the advice man. I've come to that conclusion now. I'm definitely paying the fine, probably 2moro to get it out of the way. It's just not worth it, because in the eyes of the judge the piece of paper says that the limit was 50 and I was doing 61, might as well just grit my teeth and pay it. Rather than chance a road ban or more penalty points, or worse!

Do pay it. Judge Zaidan will bend you over and f*ck you up the ass if you try contest it with him. He was the judge who jailed speeders in Donegal a few years ago. He has done it in Naas also.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Spriggan457

You seem incapable of accepting responsibility. If a patrol car had stopped you and you told the Garda you couldn't focus on your speed because your were trying to overtake you would likely be facing a lot more serious prosecutions than a simple speeding ticket. No Garda will listen to an excuse like that. Nobody is to blame for your ticket but you and you got off lucky.

That's funny, because in the past 3 or 4 posts every reply I've made I've said that I'm going to pay the fine 2moro and take it as a slap on the wrist for not observing as much as I should. Your level of ignorance and up-your-own-holery is fantastic.

ken wrote: »
    Do pay it. Judge Zaidan will bend you over and f*ck you up the ass if you try contest it with him. He was the judge who jailed speeders in Donegal a few years ago. He has done it in Naas also.

Definitely going to pay it anyway. It's a tough pill to swallow when there's a big chance it could be wrong. But with the paper saying that the limit was 50km and that I was doing 60km I don't really have a leg to stand on but my own word. And that won't get me very far in court. It's the right thing to do anyway I guess, I don't feel as bad now because I was talking to a lot of people who drive and they said they've all got one in the early days of learning to drive. And advised me just to pay it and that these things happen. Thanks for the advice though. Really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

That's funny, because in the past 3 or 4 posts every reply I've made I've said that I'm going to pay the fine 2moro and take it as a slap on the wrist for not observing as much as I should. Your level of ignorance and up-your-own-holery is fantastic.

You are merely accepting the fine. You still think it's unfair though. You think you are a victim in this because of the sneaky speed limits, the stupid law and the awkward bike race. That is not accepting responsibility, it is passing the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

The signs said 60Kmh, the red and white ones, I was doing 61Kmh, perfectly legal, if there was a small temporary sign saying 50 hidden somewhere, then I didn't see it, as I was concentrating much more on the horde of cyclists around at all times.

coming out of kildare on the dublin road (R445) the speed limit signs are very much 50kph NOT 60kph .. it wasn't a sneaky little sign hidden somewhere that you missed. I would imagine it was the two big Red Circles with a 50kph in black bold print on signposts either side of the road that you either missed or ignored.

• Advertisement

You are merely accepting the fine. You still think it's unfair though. You think you are a victim in this because of the sneaky speed limits, the stupid law and the awkward bike race. That is not accepting responsibility, it is passing the blame.

*cough cough* "not observing as much as I should." ... *cough cough*

whippet wrote: »
    coming out of kildare on the dublin road (R445) the speed limit signs are very much 50kph NOT 60kph .. it wasn't a sneaky little sign hidden somewhere that you missed. I would imagine it was the two big Red Circles with a 50kph in black bold print on signposts either side of the road that you either missed or ignored.

Who said that that is where the speed camera was? Nobody knows. But regardless, I'm paying the fine and taking the two points 2moro, because at the end of the day the paper says the limit was 50km/h and that I was doing 61km/h. Honest mistake or not - no matter what way you look at it, in the eyes of the law I was speeding. So naturally I'd get a speeding ticket, and naturally I should pay up. Case closed. Justice shall prevail. etc etc.

Mikros wrote: »
    The special speed limit of 50 km/h would have nothing to do with the cycle race - it would be a permanent speed limit introduced by the council through a by-law for a regional road that would otherwise be the default 80 km/h. This would typically be near a built up area and would have the usual 50 km/h signs in place.

It never feels very fair getting caught speeding by a camera and hearing about it a few weeks later, but the only person doing the driving was yourself so blaming the cyclists wont help much. You would be mad to contest it without good reason especially in Kildare. I'd pay the fine myself.

Thanks for the advice. You're dead right to be fair. All things considered I was speeding no matter what way I look at it, even if it was an honest mistake. Gonna go pay the fine 2moro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Those damn cyclists! I've read on here about them slowing people down and holding them up on country roads, also forcing people to drive and overtake dangerously. Now they're making people speed up. What's next, raping them on Facebook and stealing their money on the internets? It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

OK .. my two cents worth. There is no point in writing to the speeding ticket people. You will have to have your day in court to contest it.

I wasnt even in the country and my car was "spotted" speeding on the M1. Car was locked in garage and I had the keys with me. I protested to the camera people, showing my air line tickets. As the ticket arrived while I was out of the country on business, I put a long note in with the cheque saying "under protest". Needless to say the cheque was cashed and "because I had sent the money, I admitted the offence"

Next time (which I doubt will happen) I will go to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have a provisional license and L plates etc. Also, I re-read the ticket and it says 'driving Exceeding Special Speed Limit 50km/h. Would that help me that it was a special/temporary speed limit?
    If the sign says 60, you needs to say that. However, you were still doing more than 60.

How fast were the cyclists going that you had to do 61 km/h to over-take them?

Not temporary, in Kildare, they have been in place since, AFAIK, 2010.

Special Speed Limits are speed limits other than default speed limits. Claiming that it was a Special Speed Limit will especially NOT help your case.
    I have a provisional license
    For the benefit of the court, could you read what is written on this document, please?
    whippet wrote: »
    coming out of kildare on the dublin road (R445) the speed limit signs are very much 50kph NOT 60kph
    Who said that that is where the speed camera was?
    You did:
    I recently got a speeding ticket saying I was going 61Km/h in a 50Km/h zone in a public place near the R445, DUBLIN ROAD, KILDARE, KILDARE at 11:24.

But to get permanent penalty points on my license for something out of my hands aka having to overtake a cyclist on a road I've never been on with a special once-off speed limit.
    Did you not have your hands on the wheel while overtaking? :eek:

No Pants wrote: »
    Did you not have your hands on the wheel while overtaking? :eek:

I was on the roof the whole time! That's how I was thought to drive. And my car doesn't have a wheel I use a rope and pulley system! It's more eco-friendly! lulz!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Just pay it as you say,only lasts for 3 years,also cycle race had nothing to do with speed sign and you were not overtaking anyone in race.I saw race near Trim and there were AT LEAST 10 marshals and 2 traffic cars as well as 6 TC bikes and about 140 cyclists and 20-30 support cars and 2 ambulances.
    If it was race and you did not see these then sell the CAR!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I always thought that special limits where in the 5s, special limit of 55, 25 etc, and normal limits where 0s. Still no excuse as ignorance of the law isn't a defence.

Though I'd of liked to have been in court if the OP did try to fight it, could the judge hit them with the unaccompanied driving penalties even though they weren't summonsed for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Del2005 wrote: »
    I always thought that special limits where in the 5s

Those are speed limits for temporary road works, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

The signs said 60Kmh, the red and white ones, I was doing 61Kmh, perfectly legal,
    How can you possibly say that driving above the speed limit is legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

I can see your point but nobody in my family who drives who lives near me, and I need to drive to do shopping for my two aunties, I live with them and they are too old to make it to the shops on foot. So, I won't care about that law, because it's impposible for me to comply to and unreasonable in most cases. Plus I have my 12 lessons and my full license is booked + payed for, my tutor said I'm perfectly capable of passing the test.
    I don't believe it's my fault that there was a special 50Km limit where the road signs say 60Km because of a bicycle race, which is where almost all my attention was, trying to observe the cyclists.

Sure that's grand then, I didn't realise we can decide which laws to abide by, that's handy to know though. Next time I am late for something I will speed and use the defence that I don't care about that law and it's impossible for me to comply with because driving the speed limit will mean I am late.

I could do with a new car so if I decide its unreasonable that I have to buy one can I just steal one and drive that around?

I have my 12 lessons and my full license is booked + payed for, my tutor said I'm perfectly capable of passing the test.
    Yet you don't have a driving licence.

Do the test and get it. It's not that difficult and the longer you wait, the more likely it is that the law will be changed to make it more difficult.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    How can you possibly say that driving above the speed limit is legal?

You're allowed 5Km/h leverage over the limit before it's illegal.

• Advertisement

geeksauce wrote: »
    Sure that's grand then, I didn't realise we can decide which laws to abide by, that's handy to know though. Next time I am late for something I will speed and use the defence that I don't care about that law and it's impossible for me to comply with because driving the speed limit will mean I am late.

I could do with a new car so if I decide its unreasonable that I have to buy one can I just steal one and drive that around?

Can't wait for them to instate a law that says you need to have Bangle Tiger and Two Parakeets strapped to your bonnet at all times to encourage tourism and you, the crime-less knight of Ireland simply have to comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Oh sweet Jesus - do you really believe that - really?

Can't wait for them to instate a law that says you need to have Bangle Tiger and Two Parakeets strapped to your bonnet at all times to encourage tourism and you, the crime-less knight of Ireland simply have to comply.

Ah well I suppose some of us do see the ridiculousness of your stance that you cant be bothered abiding by a law because it doesn't suit you to abide by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

No you aren't. It's at the discretion of the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If that is true then does that mean that the speed limits are in fact 35, 55, 65, 85, 100 and 125KMh? If so, then there are a lot of incorrect speed limit signs up on Ireland's roads.

You really haven't a clue, sir.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yep, you're right. It's just frustrating because I might have a good case that the road signs there said 60 and that if it was indeed a 50 temporary limit and I did go over it, it was only to overtake a cyclist involved in the Race at the time.
    LOL, thats not a case, you were in the wrong, your just making a tight case iron clad for the Judge to rule against you.
    Definitely going to pay it anyway. It's a tough pill to swallow when there's a big chance it could be wrong. But with the paper saying that the limit was 50km and that I was doing 60km I don't really have a leg to stand on but my own word.
    You can ask for the photo and where exactly it happened so its not just your word but verifiable proof.
    NSAman wrote: »
    I wasnt even in the country and my car was "spotted" speeding on the M1. Car was locked in garage and I had the keys with me. I protested to the camera people, showing my air line tickets. As the ticket arrived while I was out of the country on business, I put a long note in with the cheque saying "under protest". Needless to say the cheque was cashed and "because I had sent the money, I admitted the offence"

Next time (which I doubt will happen) I will go to court.
    Why did you not ask for the evidence, if your car was not being driven by you, it either was not your car or someone else was driving it, the phot owould have sorted that out ASAP
    LULZ, alot of cars have their speedo set that it appears you are doing slightly faster than you are eg your car speedo says 33 you are only doing 30. The law on the other hand is the law. So really, if the camera picked you up at 61, there is a good chance your speedo actually said between 65 and 70. None of this alters the fact that you were over the limit and you are believing old wives tails over the law.

geeksauce wrote: »
    Ah well I suppose some of us do see the ridiculousness of your stance that you cant be bothered abiding by a law because it doesn't suit you to abide by it.

I find it pretty ridiculous that a Speed Camera Van - itself - was caught speeding over 20Km per hour over the limit and nothing was done about it by the Gardaí. I also find it ridiculous that a bunch for priests and nuns in Galway neglected 796 babies to death 50 years ago, buried them in a mass grave in a septic tank, and no-one has been charged for these crimes by the Gardaí either.
    But here we are ladies and gentlemen, here we are, I stand convicted of going 11Km/h over the limit on a road I had no choice but to go on. 'Spotted' by a camera that has no perspective on circumstances, aka, overtaking a cyclist. And shall receive 2 penalty points and an 80 euro fine.
    And I, indeed, should consider myself lucky, because if by any means they knew that I don't have a personal, full-licensed butt butler with me at all times, who's willing to stow away all their responsibilities every day to watch me drive everywhere. That I would be fined 10 fold, or worse.
    Ah, sweet sweet Irish justice.

Rest easy my boards.ie judge and jury, I have payed my 80 euro. I will receive my two penalty points.
    I will pay dearly for my heinous crimes. Put your minds at rest knowing the comforting truth, that you're more likely to be killed on the road by a Speed Camera Van, than by me.

I find it pretty ridiculous that a Speed Camera Van - itself - was caught speeding over 20Km per hour over the limit and nothing was done about it by the Gardaí. I also find it ridiculous that a bunch for priests and nuns in Galway neglected 796 babies to death 50 years ago, buried them in a mass grave in a septic tank, and no-one has been charged for these crimes by the Gardaí either.
    But here we are ladies and gentlemen, here we are, I stand convicted of going 11Km/h over the limit on a road I had no choice but to go on. 'Spotted' by a camera that has no perspective on circumstances, aka, overtaking a cyclist. And shall receive 2 penalty points and an 80 euro fine.
    And I, indeed, should consider myself lucky, because if by any means they knew that I don't have a personal, full-licensed butt butler with me at all times, who's willing to stow away all their responsibilities every day to watch me drive everywhere. That I would be fined 10 fold, or worse.
    Ah, sweet sweet Irish justice.

Rest easy my boards.ie judge and jury, I have payed my 80 euro. I will receive my two penalty points.
    I will pay dearly for my heinous crimes. Put your minds at rest knowing the comforting truth, that you're more likely to be killed on the road by a Speed Camera Van, than by me.

Now you are getting it!!

:eek:

• Advertisement

If that is true then does that mean that the speed limits are in fact 35, 55, 65, 85, 100 and 125KMh? If so, then there are a lot of incorrect speed limit signs up on Ireland's roads.

You really haven't a clue, sir.

I know it's not true. As a matter a fact I don't even drive a car, it was a motorized uni-cycle, hence the special limit of 5Km/h leverage should apply. See section 48 of 'I was f**king joking and I've already payed the fine today.com/url/href etc'!

Advertisement