Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculously Expensive ingredient or product that you love

Options
  • 04-06-2014 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

Ok, following on from another thread. I thought of this.

my major splurges currently are:
    Truffle Pecorino from Fallon & Byrne. I think its like 7% truffle, but its insane and also €65 per kilo.
    Ravida Olive Oil from Avoca - proper Sicilian extra virgin - €17 per 750ml
    Bresaola from Little Italy in Smithfield - €40 per kg (i think) but its super delicious with a bit of salad
    Mozzarella di Bufala - could buy the 59c variety but lets be honest, its not going to cut it. sometimes go the extra little bit for a bit of burata, which is like €4 a hit. marvellous.

Anyone else have problems like me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Chateaux d'yquem with my dessert ... Mmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I had a €900 lunch once with the wife, that was very tasty. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Pegging a few saffron threads into my rice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ok, following on from another thread. I thought of this.

my major splurges currently are:
    Truffle Pecorino from Fallon & Byrne. I think its like 7% truffle, but its insane and also €65 per kilo.
    Ravida Olive Oil from Avoca - proper Sicilian extra virgin - €17 per 750ml
    Bresaola from Little Italy in Smithfield - €40 per kg (i think) but its super delicious with a bit of salad
    Mozzarella di Bufala - could buy the 59c variety but lets be honest, its not going to cut it. sometimes go the extra little bit for a bit of burata, which is like €4 a hit. marvellous.

Anyone else have problems like me?

Surely you can get a very very very high quality Olive oil for much cheaper than this....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

hit me! This is generally an annual pre summer purchase. Its only used for salad dressings and dips. I thought at €17, it was pretty cheap, it lasts ages.

I'm all ears to find good oils, but please dont start quoting Aldi or Lidl!

Good products are not cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The "Italian" olive oil thing is a load of crap. There was a book written about it some years ago which explained that Italy produces X amount of olive oil and exports two or three times that amount as Italian olive oil.

If I have 2 apples I can't well sell 5 apples can I!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

lobster, so great but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Waygu beef, truffles, and foie gras

Dermighty wrote: »
    The "Italian" olive oil thing is a load of crap. There was a book written about it some years ago which explained that Italy produces X amount of olive oil and exports two or three times that amount as Italian olive oil.

another reason to spend a little more ca$h on a bottle to guarantee its authenticity. I cant do without a bottle of really good quality olive oil, and I will pay a premium when I do find the good stuff.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Waygu beef, truffles, and foie gras

actual truffles? Would love to know where you source them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

actual truffles? Would love to know where you source them.

I've commercial suppliers who I can order off, not sure where you can get on the retail market. Try the usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Fallon & Byrne will order truffles in on request.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Similar thing with manuka honey. I saw some program saying the UK on its own is supposed to import more annually than is made worldwide annually.

I remember going into some health food shop and seeing a big jar with an unopened pack of vanilla pods in it. The jar said €2 or €3 or so on it. I thought it was a great deal so opened it up and took the pack of 6 or so pods. Then the person at the till rings them up and turned out the pack was supposed to be opened and the price was singly. -I left with nothing but a red face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Most of Italy's olives and olive oil come from Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeah, manuka honey is a marketing dream!

The Hot chilli smoked salmon from Frank Hederman in the English Market. Good lord it's expensive, but so delicious. Anything frim there actually. http://www.frankhederman.com

Semi-sun dried tomatoes from The Real Olive. 26 euro a kilo, but they are like a tomato version of crack. http://www.therealoliveco.com/collections

I really like a few drops of truffle oil on pasta, risotto, or on a mushroom soup. I've two teeny tiny bottles of white and dark truffle oil that have lasted me about 3 years so far in a dark cool cupboard. They were pricey, but last ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

OP where are you getting burata? That stuff is amazing!

Advertisement