Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my pup registered?

• 04-06-2014 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I bought a pup a few weeks ago, I was told that the dog was registered and I would receive the papers in a week or so but that was over a month ago and can't get any response from breeder. The dog was vaccinated and microchipped. I just want to know is it normal to have to wait so long for the paperwork or have I been conned. I do not require the papers as I will be neutering the pup and he will just be a family pet but wanted a IKC registered one to ensure he was healthy etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Staoja wrote: »
    I bought a pup a few weeks ago, I was told that the dog was registered and I would receive the papers in a week or so but that was over a month ago and can't get any response from breeder. The dog was vaccinated and microchipped. I just want to know is it normal to have to wait so long for the paperwork or have I been conned. I do not require the papers as I will be neutering the pup and he will just be a family pet but wanted a IKC registered one to ensure he was healthy etc.

OP,

congrats on your new puppy…

IKC does not state that you have a healthy pup its merely a registration documentation, to ensure you have a healthy pup you should have requested the dogs “health tests” results (and this does not mean a quick pop to the vet), it means blood tests, hip scores etc.
    so even if you get the registration it means nothing unless the parents were health tested.

as the breeder is now not replying I would suspect (I may be incorrect) that the pup was from yet another back yard Irish breeder.

can I ask did you call to the breeders house to see the pup and the parents etc.? if so call back down and ask for your cert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Unfortunately no one here can tell you if your pup is registered apart from the breeder.

Is your pup microchipped? Did you get any vaccination records and microchip number with the pup?

Sounds like a dodgy breeder if you ask me, hence not getting back to you and telling you the papers will be sent on, its the oldest line in the book.
    Where did you source your breeder and as Cocker said, did you go to the breeders house? If so can you not call there and enquire about the papers?

IKC does not guarantee health. It is merely a piece of paper showing the pedigree of your dog and name of breeder etc, nothing to do with health whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Staoja wrote: »

Unfortunately it appears you are another person who had been conned by this gambit of "IKC registration" that backyard breeders hang in front of people like a carrot.

If you ring the IKC on +353 1 4533300 and give them your dog's microchip number, they will be able to tell you if papers have been issued for the dog.

That is all they will do however. They will not place any sanction whatsoever on the breeder even if you have been ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Staoja

Thanks for all the advice, I did go to the house but it was quite a way away and I did not want to go all the way down and knock on the door when I was not even sure there was a problem.
    I do not know much about buying dog, my son wanted a shih-tzu as a pet so we bought one. I went to the house and saw the pups, mothers etc. The pup was vaccinated and microchipped and I had him looked over and checked by vet and she says he seems fine.
    His papers arrived today but they are only Canine Ireland papers which I have been told mean nothing. It would appear that I have indeed been duped. As long as the pup is healthy I do not care about his pedigree, my son and all the family love him. My own fault for not properly researching all the stuff before I bought him.
    Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

<snip>

Did the breeder say the pups were IKC registered or what did he/she say, or what did the ad say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Staoja

The ad said that they were vaccinated, microchipped and registered. It said that they could be seen in home with the mother. I did not realise that there was any other way to register apart from IKC so just assumed that was where they were registered.
    Like I say, it was entirely my fault for taking them at their word. No harm done as we love the pup and vet says he is fine just annoys me that I was duped even if it was my fault for not looking into it further, did not realise there was so many dishonest breeders. Thanks for your advice. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

In your situation I'd advise that you take out insurance before you encounter any health problems.

Advertisement