Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****2014 LC English Paper Two 2014 - Higher Level - Before and after discussion****

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Damn, I missed all the post exam analysis!

I was extremely happy with the whole thing.
    I did the following
    -5 pages for Never Let Me Go single text
    -7 pages for the GVV comparative
    -6 pages for Dickinson poetry. This question was very easy in my opinion.
    -1.5 pages for the unseen poem. I did the 20 mark one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

a0ifee wrote: »
    i didnt really mention the "redemptive" aspect of love though...hope the rest of the essay stands to me! i got very emotional about my love for her poetry in it :pac:

I said a lot about how it was a balancing act a lot of the time, and that it shows how much more powerful love is than any negative emotion. The love for her child trumps the past experiences of despair and isolation and all that jazz. But kept referring specifically back to the title of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

I find it difficult to believe that people are really writing 5 or more pages per section. When I try to write more than 3 A4 pages per hour my writing will becomes practically impossible to read.

I don't like the way some people will get more marks just because they are able to write faster. Why can't they just give us more time or less stuff to write about?
    Leaving Cert was not made to test anything useful, its a competition just because there has to be SOMETHING to determine who is getting the points :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Mario95 wrote: »
    I find it difficult to believe that people are really writing 5 or more pages per section. When I try to write more than 3 A4 pages per hour my writing will becomes practically impossible to read.

I don't like the way some people will get more marks just because they are able to write faster. Why can't they just give us more time or less stuff to write about?
    Leaving Cert was not made to test anything useful, its a competition just because there has to be SOMETHING to determine who is getting the points :(

Sorry to butt in here, but I did the l.c last year and can say that I never wrote anywhere near 5 pages for any section of the paper. It is a cliche, but it's true, quality over quantity. I got an A1 and most of my answers would have been about the 3 pages. Don't worry about how much you wrote as long as you answered the question. Best of luck with the rest of your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Solid_Shepard

Given that there has been quite a bit of confusion over what exactly the Macbeth question meant, I thought I would try and shed some light upon it for those who seem to find it rather hazy.

The question is:
    "Macbeth's relationships with other characters can be seen primarily as power strugggles which prove crucial to the outcome of the play".

Discuss the above statement in relation to at least two of Macbeth's relationships with other characters. Support your answer with suitable reference to the play "Macbeth".

With that out of the way, we must look at the key words, to determine what the question is actually asking us to comment on. In this instance, they are:
    "Macbeth's relationships", "primarily" "power struggles" "crucial to the outcome of the play" and we must refer to "at least two of Macbeth's relationships".

From here we need to examine some of the terms in more detail:
    Macbeth's relationships: This is how, obviously, Macbeth relates to another character. What is important is that this does not mean they need to be in constant contact. I, as a poster on this board, have a relationship with you, the reader of this post. This doesn't mean I know you, but there is a relationship (in this case, I wrote the post you are reading) established. Another user mentioned King Edward, and while I would not use him in this answer as it would be a tenuous link with regards to the power struggle aspect, they do indeed have a relationship, as they are both heads of state. You can use anybody in the play as somebody who relates to Macbeth, so you're free to choose from whatever character you wish as there is always going to be some connection, the problem is that just because they have a relationship it doesn't necessarily mean they are involved in an easily explorable power struggle.
    Primarily: This one I don't think they'll look too much into, as this can be either explicit, if you state other factors that may interact with the relationships you've chosen, as there are other factors, or implicit, if what you state demonstrates that it's possible to view the relationship in the form of a power struggle.
    Power Struggles: Now, this is where I think the majority of the confusion is arising. A power struggle is when both individuals in a relationship are competing with one another to become the dominating figure, in whatever aspect you wish, within the relationship. To go with an example that doesn't fit the question, there is a power struggle between Macbeth's conscience, and Macbeth's urge to remain secure. His conscience is trying to pull him one way, away from murdering others, while his desire to remain thus is pulling him in the opposite direction, to murder those that impede him from stability.
    Crucial to the outcome of the play: This is obvious really, whatever relationship you comment on, you need to demonstrate why it is important to what happens in the play, the consequence of it.

Putting all aspects together, the question in a simpler (debatable) form could be something like:
    Pick at least two relationships Macbeth has with other characters, where Macbeth and the other character are fighting for control/power in the relationship, where the fight for control/power/dominance is crucial to how events unfold in the play.

A further exploration of the question: Personally, I think this demonstrates why teaching of Macbeth which solely discusses his ambition as his primary trait is flawed. While ambition is partly a driving goal, he is also narcissistic, indecisive, egomaniacal, fatalistic, hypocritical, insecure regarding his masculinity, controlling/domineering, excessively proud of his bravery/cunning/ferociousness, and paranoid. Given so many flaws, Macbeth's actions can be viewed through a variety of lenses resulting in a variety of different motivations. This question, in particular, relies upon us viewing him as an egotistical, narcissistic, and domineering character in order to give us the best possibility of answering the question (and then acknowledging other interpretations, even in passing, to satisfy the condition given to us via "primarily"). With this in mind, some potential (this is not exhaustative, if you have something different don't fret, it could be just as valid) examples, in brief:

Macbeth and the Witches: Macbeth continually tries to assert control over the witches by charging them to speak, demanding answers, seeking clarification. The Witches seek control in denying him, equivocating, or ignoring him. This leads to him becoming over-confident due to their equivocation resulting in a lack of preparation for the invading force led by Malcolm, and leads to him becoming increasingly ruthless. Macbeth is fatalistic and accepts the witches, yet is hypocritical in rejecting their prophecies that don't suit him (see his surprise at seeing that Banquo's lineage is full of kings when he returns to them. He tries to excercise control over fate itself in fighting against the prophecies (killing Banquo and attempting to kill Fleance), and unnecessarily intervenes (as he tries to make assurance double sure by attempting to kill Macduff, despite there appearing to be no need to do so given what the apparitions state). Macbeth and The Witches both vy for control over Macbeth's mind, The Witches by tempting him, and Macbeth by trying to resist.

Macbeth and Banquo: Macbeth and Banquo were both on equal footing as they fought for Duncan, Macbeth's actions could be seen as a way for him to seize control of their relationship, and prove himself as the better man, while Banquo's underhanded tactic (inaction) could be seen as a way for him to seize control (by waiting for Macbeth's death). Macbeth's gracious responses to Duncan could be viewed as a way for him to show that he is the one who cares more than Banquo, whereas Banquo's could be viewed simillarly (both seeking control over Duncan's love). Macbeth's unwillingness to say he's wrapped in thought of the witches' prophecies, and is being effected, could be seen as a way for him to show that he is a stronger man than Banquo, who confesses that he is being troubled by them. Macbeth's pleas following Duncan's death could be viewed as him trying to prove that he loved Duncan more than Banquo does, while Banquo's relative silence could be seen as a way to try and wait for Macbeth to trip up and reveal himself as the killer.

Macbeth and Lady Macbeth: Macbeth vies for control as he tries to establish himseflf as the stereotypical masculine person, while Lady Macbeth tries to establish herself as the dominant figure through her unsexing, manipulating, and plotting. Lady Macbeth tries to establish herself as the smarter than the two with her scheming, while Macbeth tries to establish himself as the smarter by going further than the plotting and deviating from it. Lady Macbeth tries desperately to prove she's in control (the plan, the feast) while Macbeth tries to prove he is (acting outside, ensuring she's not involved). Macbeth tries continually prove that he is the most guilty and tormented, while Lady Macbeth tries to do the opposite, but trying to convince the other that their outlook is correct and assert their idea.

Macbeth and Macduff: Macbeth fights Macduff to crush him and prove he is courageous while asserting that he's a better fighter. Macbeth kills the family to prove he is more of a threat to Macduf than Macduff is to him. Macbeth tries to prove that the forces of evil are stronger than the forces of good as he asserts that he lives a charmed life.

Macbeth and Duncan: Duncan views Macbeth as a servant who he can reward, while Macbeth literally usurps his power to demonstrate that he is stronger than Duncan. Macbeth wishes to prove to himself that he's a better leader than Duncan by preventing the rebelions that plagued Duncan's rule by using spies, and murderers, to solve 'issues'.

Macbeth and Malcolm: Macbeth literally seizes power from Malcolm, while Malcolm is trying to seize power back from Macbeth.

Macbeth and the lesser Thanes: Macbeth tries continuously to prove that he's the bravest, strongest, best tactician, most manly, and smartest, by spying on them, lying to them and through his boasting, decrying those who defy him as 'false thanes' while overlooking his own false nature.

Macbeth and King Edward: Macbeth trying to prove that he's a better leader than King Edward as he wishes to be the best, most loved ruler in a stable kingdom, while Kind Edward wishes to topple the rule by assisting Malcolm. (I really can't think much of a potential power struggle here honestly, King Edward never really acknowledges Macbeth, nor vice versa; this is tenuous at best I feel)

These are just some potential examples, I'm sure some people could have more. Ultimately it's about it being possible to view certain actions of Macbeth as a way for him to assert his dominance over the other character. Personally, I did my question primarily on Banquo, Lady Macbeth, and The Witches (mentioning others quickly in passing without depth in the conclusion) as I felt they gave the greatest scope, but Macduff, Duncan and Malcolm, in particular, are also very valid choices. I hope this helps those who didn't understand the question in some form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

What two characters did everyone mention in Macbeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Thanks solid shephard, if only I had that yesterday :pac:

Boss, I mentioned Lady M, Banquo, Macduff and the witches. How about you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 chelliam1

I think a lot of people won't have realised that you had to deal with the same text you talked about the first time in the second part of the comparative question. I just realised now so thank god I did the 70 marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I filled up the entire booklet :eek: would have ended up asking for more paper but I must wrote about 4 poems for Larkin but I think it should be ok! Would have been quite embarrassing to have asked for extra paper considering I would have the only person in my exam hall to do so, my writing really is way bigger than average :O didn't need any though, the unseen perhaps could have been longer and if I had the time I would have gotten extra paper but alas! Managed to cobble together a decent enough answer though..here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ave123

i dont know about ye... but im kinda nervous about this paper.....especially the cultural context question that i did...i did part B, the split 30/40 mark...i think i wrote waay too much for the 30 mark and ended up rushing through the comparitive...i think a got kinda mixed up between GVV and CC, i talked about polatics, social structure and relationships and i rambled on about some other stuff too....i was so tied for time i didnt even get to finish the unseen poetry question. i think poetry was pretty much okay, although i could have actually engage with the question alot more...and as for the macbeth question i had no idea what i was talking abou...i spent most of the essay talking about lady MBs dominance over macbeth....ugh i think im really dissapointed with this paper...i dont think i'll get the B i was hoping for...and i defiantly think theres not enough time in that exam...i didnt even get to read back over my answers before i gave it up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 sienna_xo

I don't understand why people feel the need to post how many pages they wrote for each question - it's easy to waffle.

What it comes down to is quality. You could write 15 pages on your CV+V and still miss out on what the question is truly asking. In other words, do not think for a second that you have aced the exam because you have wrote x amount of pages more than your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HassanNat95

I thought it was a good exam bring on maths paper 1 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

chelliam1 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people won't have realised that you had to deal with the same text you talked about the first time in the second part of the comparative question. I just realised now so thank god I did the 70 marker.

Good God, you scared the hell out of me I thought I missed something awful there but I did the Cultural Context question xD

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KevinL101

TheBoss11 wrote: »
    What two characters did everyone mention in Macbeth?

Duncan and Lady Macbeth but I think I should had done more characters :(

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

So for macbeth I wrote about LM and M's power struggle for becoming royality and how at first she had most power in her realationship but then the tables turned then i wrote about M's and the people of scotland as a wholes (scotland, macduff banquo and malcolm) as they struggle for the power of the future and fate of scotland and how it was a typical battle off good versus eveil and how it effected the play

then for comparative I picked GVAV, 70 marker and compared the opening scenes, the middle scenes, then the ending scenes of my three texts and how they impacted me and made me feel and how they helped me understand the levels of optimisim and pessism that the director/reader was trying to get across

poetry I done Dicky,wrote about a bunch of her poems, how the various imagery and use of language would affect the reader, her intresting metaphores and symbolism and how a reader may react to them

does all this shizz sound ok? im really tired so please forgive me for spelling and grammar mistakes :pac: would be hoping to get a b or c

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

You addressed Macduff, Banquo and Malcolm individually right? If you had "Macbeth vs the people of Scotland" as a power struggle when it directly asked for a character you might run into some trouble. The rest sounds fine.

jazz101 wrote: »
    You addressed Macduff, Banquo and Malcolm individually right? If you had "Macbeth vs the people of Scotland" as a power struggle when it directly asked for a character you might run into some trouble. The rest sounds fine.

To be precise, the question asked for "characterS", I did lady macbeth individually but the people of scotland I said in my answer would cover a range of characters for most of them had very high similarities with macbeth, then kinda broke it down if you get me

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

That should be fine. I'd be wary of actually addressing that part of your answer as "the people of Scotland" but there's no way that you could be punished for that if you then expounded on the others individually.

It was sort of a mix, I refered to the battle of good vs evil for the future of scotland and its fate based around the struggle for power of the crown between macbeth and malcolm and just used the term "The people of scotland" to refer to the sides of good such as banquo macduff and malcolm, descirbed each indivdually in small parts but mostly refered to them as a whole

Advertisement