Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****2014 LC English Paper Two 2014 - Higher Level - Before and after discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kevink7501

aleatorio wrote: »
    If it was about kingship specifically they would have put more emphasis on that - the marking scheme will probably say 'accept any treatment of the word 'power'' like it always does for ambiguous questions :P

Didn't it say the relationship ? I just contrasted Macbeth with them really :/

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

Guys does it make sense to have talked about the power struggle in lady MB and macbeths relationship? Like how she was most powerful, yet overtime he became more powerful over her. Or was it the fight to gain actual power??

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JD244

Would Duncan, Malcom and the Witches have been ok of the Macbeth relationship question?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

jazz101 wrote: »
    Did all of what you posted. Didn't like the Yeats question but can't complain, if I was picking a paper all of what came up today would have been in it.

I loved the Yeats question, but what I had prepared had kind of covered that aspect anyway, and same, that paper was made for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

123corby wrote: »
    Same! Ah sure we be grand! No more english again anyways :D

Never thought of that! :D Always a bright side! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Missovoxo

Please can someone explain comparative question 1 HL coz I think I did it wrong and it was 3 pages my Macbeth was 3 pages my unseen 1 and my poetry Sylvia Plath 3 as well! I'm scared I didn't write enough!:(

Missovoxo wrote: »
    Please can someone explain comparative question 1 HL coz I think I did it wrong and it was 3 pages my Macbeth was 3 pages my unseen 1 and my poetry Sylvia Plath 3 as well! I'm scared I didn't write enough!:(

That sounds like enough to me, I only did 2 pages for Macbeth.

I did that one and now I'm scared I shouldn't have :( But I wrote about Foreshadowing, Pathetic Fallacy, Situation Irony and Dramatic Irony and I'm not sure if they're right lol.
    I only did the supernatural and power of ambition!

Shane15 wrote: »
    That sounds like enough to me, I only did 2 pages for Macbeth.

Ok thanks did yo do q.1 or Q.2? The comparative question was a pile of ****!

It's possible to write little but still do well all the same, as long as its quality stuff. And anyways what ever the outcome you've English finished and you can't change it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

I honestly have no idea how I did in English. Could of got a B could of failed. I can't afford to fail :(

I feel exactly the same. Need a high mark from paper 1

Ok thanks did yo do q.1 or Q.2? The comparative question was a pile of ****!

Question one, I mentioned Lady Macbeth and the witches. I think 3 pages will be fine for you. I did Q1 of the cultural context and liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

JD244 wrote: »
    Would Duncan, Malcom and the Witches have been ok of the Macbeth relationship question?

Is malcom not duncans son?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

Was it ok to talk about the struggle power and mb and lmb? Like how shes more powerful at the start then he becomes the powerful one?

Shane15 wrote: »
    Question one, I mentioned Lady Macbeth and the witches. I think 3 pages will be fine for you. I did Q1 of the cultural context and liked it.

Oh I did Q.2 thought it was easier. Please can you explain what it meant coz I wrote about how from their characters you could tell what their town was like!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

Heaney I swear to F***! That unseen was a piece of crap I struggled so much! Who gives a flying f*** about peninsulas!

Overall I actually thought it was a tough enough paper. Macbeth went ok for me. Comparative brought me down a good bit I'd say. I did the cultural context and it was such a complex question!
    Dickinson. Good grief. It was an easy question but I messed it up so bad I forgot everything about her!
    Few girls in my year started crying after it :( I kinda get why!

Mayo4sam14 wrote: »
    Is malcom not duncans son?

Yeah, the two of them just complain about each other more or less for the play but don't actually speak directly to one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Katie1289 wrote: »
    Heaney I swear to F***! That unseen was a piece of crap I struggled so much! Who gives a flying f*** about peninsulas!

Overall I actually thought it was a tough enough paper. Macbeth went ok for me. Comparative brought me down a good bit I'd say. I did the cultural context and it was such a complex question!
    Dickinson. Good grief. It was an easy question but I messed it up so bad I forgot everything about her!
    Few girls in my year started crying after it :( I kinda get why!

That Dickinson question wasn't easy. I reckon 9/10 of people forgot to cover the dramatic techniques aspect of it, you really had to use your head to come up with answers for that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Hotale.com wrote: »
    That Dickinson question wasn't easy. I reckon 9/10 of people forgot to cover the dramatic techniques aspect of it, you really had to use your head to come up with answers for that part.

I said her dramatic techniques were her eccentric punctuation, cryptic and puzzling imagery, capitalisation and her themes in itself.

Please now is not the time to tell me I fcuked up? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

peekachoo wrote: »
    I said her dramatic techniques were her eccentric punctuation, cryptic and puzzling imagery, capitalisation and her themes in itself.

Sounds good :p

I said stupid shít like repetition created a horrifying musical quality. Like, what a load of waft! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

peekachoo wrote: »

Yeah I talked about the same things pretty much :P

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭iWin1010

Dudenaite wrote: »
    I only did barely 4 pages on Macbeth?
    I feel like my hopes for an A are GONE. :(
    It depends on how big your writing is, but 4 pages is the perfect amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 b3rnade11e

I filled up my notebook right up to the last page.Is tat too much?My writing was pretty spread out and I left the page blank when a question was finished.I am just worried I wrote too much maybe..I was too excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

Is three in depth chunky topics worthy of 60+ in comparative...fairly good quality but only came to 4 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

I thought the comparative was sound if you read it over and planned what do to. I had 5 and a half pages down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Is three in depth chunky topics worthy of 60+ in comparative...fairly good quality but only came to 4 pages

Amount of pages doesnt matter at all. I did 3 pages for my macbeth essay in the mocks and got an A1

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Amount of pages doesnt matter at all. I did 3 pages for my macbeth essay in the mocks and got an A1

Macbeth ****ed me over big time...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

Hotale.com wrote: »

Ah here I just didnt know what to do with dramatic techniques at all! I'm sure I said in the conclusion that her poetry is very dramatic.
    I was tired.
    I don't even care anymore :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Plath graced us with a question with little to be confused in it. We are always grateful to our dark overlord (who occasionally shows love) Plath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Aspiring wrote: »
    Plath graced us with a question with little to be confused in it. We are always grateful to our dark overlord (who occasionally shows love) Plath.
    i didnt really mention the "redemptive" aspect of love though...hope the rest of the essay stands to me! i got very emotional about my love for her poetry in it :pac:

Advertisement