Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desire to be slim vs desire to eat crap

• 04-06-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Why is it that sometimes our desire to become slim/fitter/healthier etc can be all forgotten when we are faced with chocolate.

I despair that I can feel upset about my body/weight yet in the moment I still choose to eat something that has no nutritional value whatsoever :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Humans have a natural problem sacrificing short term satisfaction / gratification for long term gain. You are not at all odd or unique for having such an issue or weakness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Chocolate in moderate amounts won't make you put on weight.

What kind of choccies are you into?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

You might be addicted to sugar???

Some reports say it has a similar affect on the brain as cocaine........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

I hate denying myself anything and I feel I have to do this in order to lose weight. It depresses me so then I eat crap.

Could be 10 biscuits or a large bar of dairy milk. Not everyday but at least twice a week I will eat crap. Sure that could be 1000 calories right there :(

I seem to gain and lose the same damn lbs over and over and I knnow that this is solely my fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You don't have to eat all 10 biscuits in order to not be denying yourself.

Have 2.

• Advertisement

What are you eating the rest of the time

Dark chocolate is hard to gorge on and it's nicer anyway

Breakfast : Peach in pieces, yogurt, spoon of granola, seeds in the morning. Or Eggs and brown bread. Or Eggs, bacon and if really hungry I will add mccambridge bread x 2 to the eggs and bacon.

Lunch is meat and veg. The very odd spud.

Dinner can be the same or an omelette or sandwich.

I will have a yougurt/nuts or banana for a snack.

Sometimes I worry that my fruit breakfast is more sugar and not really substantial and that I am fooling myself :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

verywell wrote: »
    I hate denying myself anything and I feel I have to do this in order to lose weight. It depresses me so then I eat crap.

Could be 10 biscuits or a large bar of dairy milk. Not everyday but at least twice a week I will eat crap. Sure that could be 1000 calories right there :(

I seem to gain and lose the same damn lbs over and over and I knnow that this is solely my fault.

Don't have biscuits or large bars of chocolate in the house if you don't have the self control to stick to 1 or 2 pieces. Work a treat into your daily allotment rather than denying yourself completely and then binging madly.

Sent you a PM

Don't want to trigger another calorie debate

Ignore any PMs that say wheat is the devil.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You need to want your goal more than you want the chocolate bar. I was overweight for years, I knew I was, and I knew I had to "do something about it" but I never did anything major and I didn't know how to.

You need to change your attitude, you need to want your goal more than anything else, so that binging on chocolate is no longer tempting, its actually something undesirable as it puts you a step further from your goal.

You see this behavior in the weight watchers / slimming world threads the whole time. People saying they had a "bad week" where they ate 7 frozen pizzas and 10 packets of digestive biscuits and they are disgusted that they are up 2lbs. They are not addicted to food, they want to be slim too but they are just not that fúcking arsed. If you really want your goal and are focused on it you will not fall off the bandwagon for a week of binge eating.

You can lose weight and have chocolate and your favourite foods in moderation, its about control and long term consistency.

TLDR: Focus on your long term goal, want it more than chocolate

conzy wrote: »
    You need to want your goal more than you want the chocolate bar. I was overweight for years, I knew I was, and I knew I had to "do something about it" but I never did anything major and I didn't know how to.

You need to change your attitude, you need to want your goal more than anything else, so that binging on chocolate is no longer tempting, its actually something undesirable as it puts you a step further from your goal.

You see this behavior in the weight watchers / slimming world threads the whole time. People saying they had a "bad week" where they ate 7 frozen pizzas and 10 packets of digestive biscuits and they are disgusted that they are up 2lbs. They are not addicted to food, they want to be slim too but they are just not that fúcking arsed. If you really want your goal and are focused on it you will not fall off the bandwagon for a week of binge eating.

You can lose weight and have chocolate and your favourite foods in moderation, its about control and long term consistency.

TLDR: Focus on your long term goal, want it more than chocolate

Exactly, you often see binge eating because the diet they are on is not sustainable.

It is the control, I suppose, that I have the issue with. I have 16lbs to lose and to me it seems like the world. Up 2 down 2 and on and on. Knowing all the time that it is myself who is creating the gain and loss!

I get so mad at myself for thinking I want this so bad yet still decide to eat crap. I also think I feel bad even when I eat something that it accounted for.

I expect that is something that I will need to teach myself.

Like it is ok to have a treat if I have allowed for it in my daily calories?

conzy wrote: »

Condense the sense into one sentence.

Word to yo' moms. I came to drop bombs, I got more rhymes than the Bible's got songs.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Look at your self in a mirror not on a weighing scales.

Is the fruit ok for breakfast or should I go for the eggs?

Or does it matter?

Believe me I am doing that too and at my clothes. The smaller clothes are growing in the wardrobe hence the annoyance at myself.

From the man who said 'Greed is good'.

IronyOverload.jpg

:)

Download my fitness pal and put your details into that.

• Advertisement

Absolutely.

I think you need to try and lay off the emotional ups and downs you have with eating and check what your goals are and how best to achieve them. And yes of course you can have sweeter stuff if they fit into your calories if you don't binge on them.

Is the fruit ok for breakfast or should I go for the eggs?

Or does it matter?

It depends on your day's food as a whole.
    You mentioned thinking it's not substantial. If you don't feel it's filling enough, then look for an option that is., which could be eggs.

Once you're accounting for everything, it won't matter what you go for that fits within what you need. Within reason.

From the man who said 'Greed is good'.

IronyOverload.jpg

:)

I have a mirror that makes me look skinnier than I am so I can still be greedy :-) .op we all fall off the wagon don't beat yourself up.over it just get back onto the wagon and start again.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think you need to try and lay off the emotional ups and downs you have with eating and check what your goals are and how best to achieve them. And yes of course you can have sweeter stuff if they fit into your calories if you don't binge on them.

^ This.

Stop focussing on the one bad meal/day/week. Look at the bigger picture.

You might have had 6.5 good days but you'll focus on the bad half day.

Flip that around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Here's my plan. I started out with the aim of staying off rubbish for 20 days in a month. Print out a calender and mark every successful day. It allows for the days when you fail without de-railing the whole plan. As it happened I never needed all ten days. The fist month I had five bad days. Since then I've been flying but the target is still 20 days.

It's amazing how quickly sugar cravings go away once you stop taking it. My problem was always the hours between dinner and bed. I grazed away those hours on garbage. Biscuits, sweets crisps etc. I've learned to enjoy coffee and tea (no sugar) without having to eat anything with them. Major breakthrough.

I've just come out of a meeting where someone brought back a big bag of sweets from their holiday. I just didn't take any because I wasn't willing to put a red X on today when I could be putting a green tic. My idea won't suit everybody but if it helped anybody I'd be delighted. Good luck whatever you do.

Henry94 wrote: »

It's amazing how quickly sugar cravings go away once you stop taking it.

Single most important piece of information anybody in this forum can read....

I just didn't take any because I wasn't willing to put a red X on today when I could be putting a green tic.

Gold stars, ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

If there are cakes in the office or you're offered a chocolate or there's a big bowel of crap at a party, take a picture of it with your phone. If there is a packet of "fun" size bars in the fridge your partner brought home, snap. Put them all together in an album or collage at the end of the month and think of how glad you are that you had none of that garbage. The muffin you resist today will add to your glory on the 31st.

There are marketing people paid very handsomely to make you want all that stuff. Fight back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Single most important piece of information anybody in this forum can read....

true that .. the first 2-3 days coming off sugar are like a junkie going cold turkey but when you get to day 4 the desire/cravings are no longer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    You might be addicted to sugar???

Some reports say it has a similar affect on the brain as cocaine........

It's not working for me...

Here's my plan. I started out with the aim of staying off rubbish for 20 days in a month. Print out a calender and mark every successful day. It allows for the days when you fail without de-railing the whole plan. As it happened I never needed all ten days. The fist month I had five bad days. Since then I've been flying but the target is still 20 days.

It's amazing how quickly sugar cravings go away once you stop taking it. My problem was always the hours between dinner and bed. I grazed away those hours on garbage. Biscuits, sweets crisps etc. I've learned to enjoy coffee and tea (no sugar) without having to eat anything with them. Major breakthrough.

I've just come out of a meeting where someone brought back a big bag of sweets from their holiday. I just didn't take any because I wasn't willing to put a red X on today when I could be putting a green tic. My idea won't suit everybody but if it helped anybody I'd be delighted. Good luck whatever you do.

That is a great idea! I can be quite competitive too so I love this idea.

My problem is also this time too. Watching tv and wanting a treat :rolleyes:

I started the 30day shred too and each day that I complete it I mark in on my calendar. Well 3 calendars in fact :) So I could make one of them for sweets.

My problem is also this time too. Watching tv and wanting a treat :rolleyes:

I think once you recognise that a lot of it is habit that you need to break, you'll be doing well with that also
    Maybe have plain tea or do something else or just force yourself to get used to watching it without having something

There's also the odd trick you can try..

.. I find I get a craving for sugar around bed time, so I get me some sweet sugar of the missus :D but rather than eating biscuits, chocolate, cornflakes heaped with sugar, I always make sure I have a few juicy grapes in the fridge .. they contain natural sugars of course but they always do the trick and 5-10 mins later I'm out cold asleep.

Brushing your teeth .. thats another one I use now and again. Seems to quell the cravings for a while for me anyway.

Instead of drinking regular tea or coffee and thus the habit for a biscuit, try green tea, herbal tea etc ... hard to imagine dunking your biscuit into one of those, hence you break the habit.

I suppose really it is learning a new way of thinking.

I just get so fed up of it all that I rebel (against myself :rolleyes:) and head to the shop and munch away.

Then the cycle starts all over again :(

• Advertisement

I always equate the piece of chocolate to the exercise/effort involved in burning off the same calories

For example, a simple 2-finger kit-kat .. tasty little buggers, who eats just one of them right? I always have 2 or 3.
    Well each one is 102 calories.. or for me, that's 5 mins flat out on the treadmill.
    So if I eat 2 of them, that 10 mins on the treadmill just to breakeven. Then I ask myself if its worth out, and usually it is not.

Thanks all for your input. It is much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

This is my hardest battle :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Ignore any PMs that say wheat is the devil.

My wife and daughter are both coeliac and this "fashionable" gluten free diet drives them both mad. All they want is to be able to eat wheat without getting violent diarrhoea / stomach cramps / joint pains / severe fatigue. My other daughter and I can eat anything we want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Why is it that sometimes our desire to become slim/fitter/healthier etc can be all forgotten when we are faced with chocolate.

I despair that I can feel upset about my body/weight yet in the moment I still choose to eat something that has no nutritional value whatsoever :mad:

Remove sugar and grains from your diet and eventually you won't crave any foods. Treat yourself to dark choc - 70% or even better 85%. The stronger the % the harder it is to overeat it.

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Remove sugar and grains from your diet and eventually you won't crave any foods. Treat yourself to dark choc - 70% or even better 85%. The stronger the % the harder it is to overeat it.

I can understand wanting to remove sugar, but why the need to remove all grains :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I can understand wanting to remove sugar, but why the need to remove all grains :confused:

Don't get him started. Honestly just check his post history if you want his opinion on grains. Every thread has been derailed on this discussion on grains, carbs and fat.

Only advice I can give without starting a debate is to do some research yourself on wheat/grains and see what conclusion you come to.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Don't get him started. Honestly just check his post history if you want his opinion on grains. Every thread has been derailed on this discussion on grains, carbs and fat.

The op feels upset about body weight . They crave sugar. The only sustainable long term way to stop this is by removing sugar and grain and therefore following a paleo / hflc lifestyle. The cravings will stop and they will become slim.

The op feels upset about body weight . They crave sugar. The only sustainable long term way to stop this is by removing sugar and grain and therefore following a paleo / hflc lifestyle. The cravings will stop and they will become slim.

What happened to "I did this and it worked for me"?

Now it's the only way to go?

On second thoughts, let's not derail another thread.

What happened to "I did this and it worked for me"?

Now it's the only way to go?

On second thoughts, let's not derail another thread.

It will work for everyone- apparently you can't say that HERE though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Self control and motivation?
    As important as heading out to exercise.

It will work for everyone- apparently you can't say that HERE though!

You must feel like Jesus did, way back when.

Minus the pain of crucifixion obvz.

• Advertisement
Advertisement