Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom phoneline & existing number

Options
  • 04-06-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I'm currently with UTV, who are getting out of the phone/broadband business and I have to choose a new provider.  I got fibre installed last year and I was expecting greater speeds.

I have a fibre cabinet 200m to the left of me and a fibre cabinet 300m to the right of me.

However, the cabinet I'm connected to is 1-1.2KM away.  I noticed on your website that your offering free connections until July 1st.

Would it be possible to have a new phoneline installed and have my current number moved to it?

Also, is efibre broadband truly unlimited, no FUP, throttling etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

trew wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently with UTV, who are getting out of the phone/broadband business and I have to choose a new provider.  I got fibre installed last year and I was expecting greater speeds.

I have a fibre cabinet 200m to the left of me and a fibre cabinet 300m to the right of me.

However, the cabinet I'm connected to is 1-1.2KM away.  I noticed on your website that your offering free connections until July 1st.

Would it be possible to have a new phoneline installed and have my current number moved to it?

Also, is efibre broadband truly unlimited, no FUP, throttling etc?

Thanks

Hi trew

I can confirm that eircom will not be able to offer you a new line with the assurance it will be connected to a different cabinet. You can of course request a new line but the extreme likelihood is that it will be connected to the same cabinet.  There would be technical reasons for a line being connected to a cabinet and unfortunately I will be unable to what these reasons are. 

The FUP is 500 Terabytes so it's fair to say it would be fairly hard to exceed :)

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 12 trew

Thanks for your reply.

Can you confirm that I can move my current number to a new phoneline?

Would I experience any downtime in this situation?
    Would the old line be removed, new line installed, current number moved  to new line, efibre activated all the same day? or Would I have to order the new line, get it installed and then order efibre?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Thanks for your reply.

Would the old line be removed, new line installed, current number moved  to new line, efibre activated all the same day? or Would I have to order the new line, get it installed and then order efibre?

Thanks
    Hi trew,

Don't do it would be my advice!! Site won't let me post the link but have a look at my issues with trying to get a new phoneline/eFibre installed in this forum...

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    Hi trew,

Don't do it would be my advice!! Site won't let me post the link but have a look at my issues with trying to get a new phoneline/eFibre installed in this forum...
    Hi WicklowTiger

I'm actively chasing up on information surround your issue and I hope to have more information for you today.

Al

Hi,

Would it be possible to get answers to the questions I asked last Thursday?

You quoted me, ignored the questions I asked and then responded to somebody else who has their own thread.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi,

Would it be possible to get answers to the questions I asked last Thursday?

You quoted me, ignored the questions I asked and then responded to somebody else who has their own thread.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    Thanks

Apologies trew

This would not be done on the same day, you would need to order a new line and if it can get efibre then arrange the number swap first then order efibre. For a number swap to be done the service needs to be firstly with eircom but if it's on an efibre account with eircom a number swap will not be able to be arranged.

There is a lot of risk involved as it might not even be connected to the cabinet and no assurances can be given on efibre or broadband as the ording of a new line has specific conditions set that it can only be provided on the terms that serve it on it's own merits which does not include broadband.

There is also a 12 month contract for the line itself so even if this does not work out there would be an early cancellation fee if you decided not to keep the line (12 x €25.78)

I would not recommend doing this but it's ultimately your decision....

Thanks
    Al

Thank you for your response and your patience.  I have a query re: number swap.  Am I understanding this correctly?

In order to swap my current number to a new Eircom landline, my current number needs to be with Eircom?

I wouldn't be able to order a new line & number, check if the new number can get efibre, if it can, move my current number directly from UTV?

If I'm in an eFibre area will my account automatically be an eFibre account even if I only have phone services and don't subscribe to broadband?

Is there a minimum contract for phone services only?

I realize what I proposing is very risky and potentially costly, but to triple my speeds it might be worth it.

Thanks for reading

Thank you for your response and your patience.  I have a query re: number swap.  Am I understanding this correctly?

In order to swap my current number to a new Eircom landline, my current number needs to be with Eircom?

I wouldn't be able to order a new line & number, check if the new number can get efibre, if it can, move my current number directly from UTV?

If I'm in an eFibre area will my account automatically be an eFibre account even if I only have phone services and don't subscribe to broadband?

Is there a minimum contract for phone services only?

I realize what I proposing is very risky and potentially costly, but to triple my speeds it might be worth it.

Thanks for reading
    Hi Trew,

I'm aware of the advantages of faster speeds so it's a pleasure to help,

Do you want to PM a mobile contact number for you and I'll call today to discus?

Al

Thanks, I've sent you a PM

Thanks, I've sent you a PM
    Hi trew

Thanks for taking my call - keep in touch if there is anything else you would like me to look in to :)

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement