Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee in Spain

• 04-06-2014 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I've visited Spain many times in the past few years and have always thought the coffee was really nice. I brought a packet home recently ( regular brand from supermarket) and was somewhat confused by the ingredients listed on the packet. It stated that it was 50% natural and 50% torrefacto.

After investigating a bit I found out that 'torrefacto' refers to coffee beans roasted with sugar. It was originally done as a way to preserve coffee but more recently is used to reduce bitterness and because it's cheaper.

And it turns out that these torrefacto beans are used almost everywhere in Spain. Supermarket brands seem to be 50/50 while in a cafe its around 80/20 natural/torrefacto.

What is the opinion on this among coffee experts? I'm guessing this mix of beans wouldn't be looked upon too favourably by real coffee connoisseurs??

Interestingly I thought the coffee was nicer in Portugal when I visited last year and it seems they don't do this there......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

The Wikipedia article on torrefacto states that the method is a cheap way to add weight to the beans, and that the process also increases the bitterness and acidity of the coffee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrefacto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Didn't know that about Spanish coffee. I've always liked Spanish coffee, though. A nice cortado or carajuillo to start off the day!

I do remember thinking the coffee in Lisbon was much, much better, though. I'd imagine a lot of that stuff would be Brazilian.

I wouldn't look on torrefacto as a bad thing. It's just a different way of getting 'something' out of the raw material in the same way you roast beans differently, wash/don't wash, etc. Just a different style.

Sure weren't espresso machines and cappuccinos etc. invented to make the most out of poor quality coffee from Abyssinia (Ethiopia) back in the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

sarkozy wrote: »

I wouldn't look on torrefacto as a bad thing. It's just a different way of getting 'something' out of the raw material in the same way you roast beans differently, wash/don't wash, etc. Just a different style.

No I don't look at it as bad thing. It's just another way of doing things as you say. The coffee I brought back is actually delicious!

Advertisement