Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert English Paper 1

• 04-06-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello, all.

I, like several thousand other student across the country today, have just sat the 2014 Leaving Cert English Paper 1.

For me, it went rather well, I thought. However, as I walked out of the exam hall, I started to reflect on what I had just written, and one thing in my mind seemed to bother me above any other. That is ; To what extent does your composition have to relate to the question.

Now, OF COURSE I stuck to the topic, and included several references to the main body of the question, but I felt like I spent too much time on the actual build up of my story. (it was Q7, the short story, the one about mutants). I started off with a clever beginning, relating to the title, as well as putting in my original twist.. However, I feel like the corrector may dock me marks just because I spent a lot of time on the build up toward the end, which featured a little 'reveal' relating to the whole 'mutant' theme...

I may be overthinking the situation but I'd like the opinion of other people, students and teachers...

So tell me... If a student is writing a short story, and focuses entirely on the subject matter at the beginning and end of the story but focuses purely on the build up in the middle (which eventually leads to the climax involving the topic at hand at the end), is that student in danger of losing a few crucial marks?
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement