Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phd Scholarship interview - any tips?

• 04-06-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I have, at short notice, an interview for a PhD scholarship. Anyone got any tips for me please?

I will of course have read through my application and be ready for questions on that, on prior research experience, conferences, publications etc but what else should I be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danakin

What you've described would cover most of the major topics.

Depending on your research topic, questions about practical employment/relevance of findings, interest in academic career, background information and illustration of need would be possibilities.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bermia

Danakin wrote: »
    What you've described would cover most of the major topics.

Depending on your research topic, questions about practical employment/relevance of findings, interest in academic career, background information and illustration of need would be possibilities.

Best of luck.

Thanks very much for these tips. All very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Make sure you're able to explain your proposal to someone who is not knowledgeable in your field.

I know it sounds obvious but one of my lecturers suggested being able to explain it to non-experts as often your research panel will have people from different fields/departments. I was interviewed by professors from law, economics and English Literature. If I'd gone in spouting legal jargon the other two wouldn't have been able to understand what I was going on about so being forwarned of this was a huge help.

Secondly, focus on your research question. Make sure they know you're able to work on something with a clear focus.

Thirdly, show your passion for your subject. It helps a lot if they know you're going to be genuinely interested in the field and thus able to finish exhaustive research.

Lockstep wrote: »
    Make sure you're able to explain your proposal to someone who is not knowledgeable in your field.

I know it sounds obvious but one of my lecturers suggested being able to explain it to non-experts as often your research panel will have people from different fields/departments. I was interviewed by professors from law, economics and English Literature. If I'd gone in spouting legal jargon the other two wouldn't have been able to understand what I was going on about so being forwarned of this was a huge help.

Secondly, focus on your research question. Make sure they know you're able to work on something with a clear focus.

Thirdly, show your passion for your subject. It helps a lot if they know you're going to be genuinely interested in the field and thus able to finish exhaustive research.

This is very useful info thanks. I had the interview this morning and think i might have gotten too technical on some of the tax stuff. Hopefully I pulled it back to engage all interviewers. The passion was there alright!

To update this thread. I got the place. So off to DCU on a phd scholarship with me in September. All very exciting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement