Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**2014 LC Home Economics Soc. & Sc. - both levels - June 4th 2014**

• 04-06-2014 3:24pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Discussion of this exam to go here, once it's over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Meg732

Short questions for home ec were easy... The long questions... What the absolute feck went on.... The social elective three with its adult education I barely skimmed that chapter I undermined it's relevance and question 1 of section B what did ye write for varying reasons as to why it cost different ... That went terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 leavingcert problems

Q 1 A&B was really weird, didn't like the social elective QA either. Apart from that it was a fairly decent paper. Anyone else think it was fierce tight for time?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Laylaxx

Wasn't expecting consumer table to come up on Q1? And what did you's write for the 1st education Q on the social elective? Did you just have to describe the importance of it and give examples?

Is that the one about adults returning to ed? I talked about PLCs, Solas, youth reach and I couldn't think of a fourth one. For factors to consider i totally blanked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

I didn't get it finished.
    The compulsory question was disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

That was fine apart from the table in question 1 and part (a) of the social elective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Short questions were nice enough compared to the mocks.
    I really wasn't a fan of that table question though, agree it was horrible! I liked the sociology question. Elective wasn't great but it wasn't too bad - I was just thrilled not to see work or unemployment. I was pleased to see protein make an appearance. Would have prefered child care or leisure for the elective but oh well! Also was raging to see there was no vitamin c or calcium after spending time so much time learning the damned b vitamins :p also liked the meat question but completely blanked for the method of extending shelf life! Also blanked for the role of protein but thankfully after panicking, the information came back to me :) thought it was a decent paper overall, certainly wasn't a stinker like last years! I was very tight for time on it though, really had to rush it towards the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Laylaxx

Yeah the compulsory Q was iffy, defiantly didn't do as well on protein as I would have liked to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

The compulsory question was such a downer, I usually love the question ones but that was just odd!! I spent so long on vitamins and minerals and protein came up ugh. I knew most of it but there was alot of marks going for the classification and i really dont think i wrote enough. Meat and sociology questions were absolutely lovely but the social elective question was a bitch. Nothing I studied came up, fingers crossed they have to alter the marking scheme for that because everyone seemed to blank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

I took a massive gamble and learned no minerals/vitamins, and none of them came up! I found Q1 fairly ok, wasn't much extra info required as with those graphs usually. Short questions were a mixture of very easy and things I'd never looked at, I left all the consumer/textiles part out too.. I was so tight for time though, writing to the last minute, my writing became a scrawl half way through too :L

Overall an okay paper, Q5 was something I'd learned just before and meat q wasn't too difficult. 100 times better than the 2013 paper, pretty sure I'd have failed that..

• Advertisement

Help anyone? :( for protein put biological protein down instead of physiological active :'( had the function right and everything else was right but how many marks will I lose?? :/ SO annoyed with myself right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 dob1234

Lollipop95, well neither of those are correct !
    the questions refered to classification in relation to simple and conjugated proteins so your answer should have been something along these lines:
    Simple proteins : Animal and Plant
    Animal
    (i) Fibrous e.g. collagen in skin, myosin in muscle
    (ii) Globular e.g. albumin in egg, myoglobin in meat
    Plant
    (i) Glutelins (insoluble in water soluble in acids and alkalis) e.g. glutenin in wheat, oryzenin in rice
    (ii) Prolamines (insoluble in water, soluble in alcohol) e.g. gliadin in wheat, zein in maize
    while conjugated proteins Consist of amino acids + a non-protein molecule e.g.
    Lipoproteins (lipid + protein) e.g. lecithin in egg yolk
    Phosphoprotein ( phosphate + protein) e.g. caesinogen in milk

the one you are referring to (the physiologically active proteins/nutrient proteins/structural proteins) are the biological FUNCTIONS not classification! but im sure you will get marks for your answer as it was somewhat relevant

dob1234 wrote: »
    the questions refered to classification in relation to simple and conjugated proteins so your answer should have been something along these lines:
    Animal
    Plant
    (i) Glutelins (insoluble in water soluble in acids and alkalis) e.g. glutenin in wheat, oryzenin in rice
    (ii) Prolamines (insoluble in water, soluble in alcohol) e.g. gliadin in wheat, zein in maize

the one you are referring to (the physiologically active proteins/nutrient proteins/structural proteins) are the biological FUNCTIONS not classification! but im sure you will get marks for your answer as it was somewhat relevant
    Oh I had that for classification.. I meant when it asked for the role of protein I had biological instead of physiologically active

dob1234 wrote: »
    Animal
    Plant

F_ck it anyway!! I forgot to give examples for the conjugated protein!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 dob1234

dont worry, i'm sure it will be okay

alot of people ****ed that up, some teachers dont even teach it because they think one way of classifying protein is enough.
    Think of the bell curve ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

Could you talk about low and high biological value for the classification of protein?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Alannahokl

Laylaxx wrote: »
    Yeah the compulsory Q was iffy, defiantly didn't do as well on protein as I would have liked to :(

Did ye get the classification and supplementary question on protein? So annoyed I couldn't answer that bit cos most of the marks were going for that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Alannahokl

eoinoc2509 wrote: »
    Could you talk about low and high biological value for the classification of protein?

That's what I did too and hoping for the best hahah!

Alannahokl wrote: »
    That's what I did too and hoping for the best hahah!

Alot of teachers only teach that classification because they dont think that they ask specifically. My teacher always talks about how all of the teachers attack the chief examiner if they think something is unfair so that she will change the marking scheme, so fingers crossed it will be ok

• Advertisement
Advertisement