Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Dunlop TT

• 04-06-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

He seems to be doing well over at the TT and the BMW seems to also be doing its bit also.
    He is still getting a hard time though for his comments and attitude in interviews?

Whats peoples opinions of him? Is he a great racer but a young arrogant moran or does he just put on a show for the cameras??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

He is a phenomenal talent but an complete an utter arsehole IMHO. He should really take a leaf of off his brothers book who is an absolute gent and technically a better rider. I mean he has done very well at the TT this year. would it really have killed him to acknowledge Bruce Ansteys lap record instead of sulking that is was even brought up!
    Its been going on for years, Adrenaline pumping cant be blamed for kicking over Cameron Donaldson's bike in Kells a few years back. He got beaten and was like a baby throwing his dummy out of the pram. Think it was the year before last he threatened to go out in the sidecars at the end of the event with all the public on the road, radio's where hopping trying to stop him.

Alot of the road racers dont like him and its not jealousy I can tell you.

And yes I have met him a few times, never off with me in fairness but his stock has dropped alot with me with all the ****e talk he goes on with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I met him a couple of years ago.. Seemed a nice guy away from the track anyway.

Id say everyone is different when they are racing.

As they say let your talking be on the track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sounds like a typical BMW rider. I heard the whole lot of them are arseholes :pac:
    Any link to any of the interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

He is a cracking rider !

Loved the competition between him and William in the Superbike race in the NW200. He didn't come across the best in the interview after the race, but reckon that that was sibling rivalry mixed with a large dose of adrenaline.

I liked the way that he worked with Gary Johnstone in the Supersport TT race the other day, showed up his spatial awareness and sportsmanship.

I reckon that Bruce Anstey's earlier lap record speaks for itself and Michael Dunlop was only a whisker behind. It's a competitive world and again adrenaline and microphones probably don't mix well. He could probably do with some media training - just like some of the posters here.

I'm not sure that a*******s have no brand loyalty; you find them on all makes these days !

Keep between the ditches !

Alfo

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

The point about adrenaline pumping while the riders are interviewed is a very valid point and I am sure they all say things before they think them through because of this. However all the riders are in the same bout and he always comes across worst in interviews ( Whatever the reason ).

While watching him ride I never now what he is going to try pull off next, which makes it exciting to watch him ride however at the same time I think some of the other riders fear him for this, as they want to get her home safe.

Hopefully BMW with the money they have behind them will give Michael the guidance that he needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Alfonzito wrote: »
    He is a cracking rider !

Loved the competition between him and William in the Superbike race in the NW200. He didn't come across the best in the interview after the race, but reckon that that was sibling rivalry mixed with a large dose of adrenaline.

Ya, did he say to William "do that again and you're toast"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can say what you like about him as a person but as a rider on roads he is untouchable.
    Look at the lap of Ansteys onboard following the BMW, the bike was bucking and shaking unbelievably and he still managed to control it and take the win.
    That S1000 is no pussycat, I don't think there is another rider that could tame it as well as MD.
    His hands were raw after that race, that says a lot about the character of the guy.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You can say what you like about him as a person but as a rider on roads he is untouchable.
    Look at the lap of Ansteys onboard following the BMW, the bike was bucking and shaking unbelievably and he still managed to control it and take the win.
    That S1000 is no pussycat, I don't think there is another rider that could tame it as well as MD.
    His hands were raw after that race, that says a lot about the character of the guy.

No question about his talent at all.....the rest is a train wreck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Its hard to know really how good he is as they are all on different machinery, was embarrassed watching his interview in NW, jeez like could he not even be civil to his brother prob says a lot of how he treats other people

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

He is an odd character seems to be his own worst enemy when it comes to pr related stuff

In saying that he is the best thats out there this year imo

Check out this video its frightening to even think how the head and body can work so well

www.youtube.com/watch?v=37uHhcd9ERU

Dont no how to get the video on screen, if somebody does please fire ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't watch racing for the personalities, I watch it to see the racing.
    Watching him bully a 200+ HP superbike around the Island is enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

He must be reading this thread ! In yesterday's interview after the supersport race, he was super cool and acknowledged Anstey's letting him pass once he knew that he had second place.

Heard commentators say that the supersport bikes are at 16,000 rpm + for most of the race ! Would all of the supersports have same output ?

Skerries coming up in a couple of weeks ( 4th &5th July ) , hopefully see a few of these riders here and the weather as good as it was last year.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I don't watch racing for the personalities, I watch it to see the racing.
    Watching him bully a 200+ HP superbike around the Island is enough for me.

Yes, so do I. But "some" of the moves he makes are not only a danger to himself but a danger to other racers which is not on. The pass he made on the last lap in the cookstown road races where he took the lever off McGee's bike after a terrible overtake was a shockingly stupid move that could have easily caused a fatality.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yes, so do I. But "some" of the moves he makes are not only a danger to himself but a danger to other racers which is not on. The pass he made on the last lap in the cookstown road races where he took the lever off McGee's bike after a terrible overtake was a shockingly stupid move that could have easily caused a fatality.

Yes this is what I would be more concerned about, I do be on the edge of my seat ( If I ever had a seat at races:p ) watching him, but I feel it may be for the wrong reasons. Im expecting him to do something dangerous,cut someone up, or force another racer off track so he can get the perfect line.

Is this accepted in racing now? Is it ok to do whatever it takes to win?

As he said himself " Bin it or Win it ".

Does this quote make him brave in your opinion? A lot of people saying he has balls of steal because of this.

I personally think it is an appalling attitude to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I watched most of the racing this week live, what a pleasure to see him whip the bike around the course so effortlessly.

He's a bit grumpy and arrogant, but I certainly like watching him this year.

leppla wrote: »
    Yes this is what I would be more concerned about, I do be on the edge of my seat ( If I ever had a seat at races:p ) watching him, but I feel it may be for the wrong reasons. Im expecting him to do something dangerous,cut someone up, or force another racer off track so he can get the perfect line.

Is this accepted in racing now? Is it ok to do whatever it takes to win?

As he said himself " Bin it or Win it ".

Does this quote make him brave in your opinion? A lot of people saying he has balls of steal because of this.

I personally think it is an appalling attitude to have.

There were many a road racer over the years just as good but without that attitude. Sadly alot of them are no longer with us. :(

Senior TT - Results - 1st Michael Dunlop, 2nd Conor Cummins, 3rd Guy Martin

Credit were credit is due.

I didnt see it but apparantly: Michael Dunlop's first words in the live radio interview afterwards: "I'm going to cut the bull****. The press are tossers. My brother means more to me than anything."

William had an off in the race and is meant to have a broken leg.

• Site Banned Posts: 62 ✭✭Rainwaterman

blade1 wrote: »
    Ya, did he say to William "do that again and you're toast"
    I watched it on BBC1 myself.That was indeed a pure nasty and spitefull comment to make to his brother.His brother bet him fair and square and I dont think that he liked being upstaged like that so he threatens his brother.Wow what a role model for the sport.
    Ive lost alot of respect for him since that comment was made and how he has shunned his brother since the NW200 and his attitude towards Bruces 132mph lap earlier this week.He needs to cop on and grow up and accept defeat when it happens in a gracious and respectfull maner.
    Hes a fantastic rider and a great road racer be he seriously lacks manners,cop on and respect towards others when he is beaten by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭prunudo

I was watching 'Closer to the edge' the other night and during it they said John McGuinness had 15 wins(at the time of filming), that's only 4 off what Micheal is now after today's senior victory.
    The chap is only 25 years old, the rate he is going he will surely reach beyond 30 wins.

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    I was watching 'Closer to the edge' the other night and during it they said John McGuinness had 15 wins(at the time of filming), that's only 4 off what Micheal is now after today's senior victory.
    The chap is only 25 years old, the rate he is going he will surely reach beyond 30 wins.

Yeah he will easily surpass that....if he does not kill himself or someone else before it. He is a serious talent....the whole family are blessed with a raw talent.

• Site Banned Posts: 62 ✭✭Rainwaterman

Nice to see John McGuinness get a win even with his bad hand injury.He was so close to completely retiring only the other day as he said himself when being interviewed.
    He won the TT Zero race.The speed of the electric bikes is unreal and how fast they have been developed is even more breathtaking.McGuinness did a 117.366 mph lap the other day on his way to victory.

Advertisement